So who's it going to be?

I have had much less time than I wish to spend following World Class these past few years, and now that I'm in my 2nd summer out here in Texas I fear I'm not going to get to many shows. My daughter is playing in Crossmen this year and I'm pretty excited, although it's over 20 years since I've had any connection there.

So my question to you folks who are so much more in the loop:

What are the surprises going to be? Who's going to be making a run at the top 3 that we're not thinking about - who's the dark horse to edge their way into the 12th, or 11th spots from outside? Who will be relinquishing a Top 12 spot and why? Who will migrate from 9 - 12 to 8 - 6, or 8 - 6 to 5 - 1? Or the other way.

Help a brother (OK, uncle) out here. What's going to go on this year. Hint - don't tell me anything bad about BAC, or this year Crossmen.

My son is in his 3 rd year as a tuba. You will like how they do things at the Crossmen. Great staff. Is she battery ? Brass? Or guard? Feel free to give me an email for any questions. And for sure join the 2013 Facebook page for Crossmen parents

My son is in his 3 rd year as a tuba. You will like how they do things at the Crossmen. Great staff. Is she battery ? Brass? Or guard? Feel free to give me an email for any questions. And for sure join the 2013 Facebook page for Crossmen parents

I don't have a Facebook page - this is as close as I get. She plays (gasp) synth - tough on a dinosaur, but the only alternative was strapping on a piano, and I didn't see it happening.

My oldest son played in Crossmen between 91 and 93 and I did a year with the brass staff way back then.

I know some of the Crossmen folks and I may have innocently influenced her choice back during the fall.

I think they'll be fun to follow. Their show is going to be tough to pull off, but so were the Earth shows of the early 90s and I loved them a bunch.

We'll see what we see. Just wish I had time to get down to San Antonio.

I'm specifically looking at three groups this coming season.

1) Will the Cavaliers make the improvements that they need to and return to a top five corps. Their progress this summer will probably draw most of my attention.

2) What is going on with the Blue Stars? Fallen the past two years and eventually out of finals. Would like to see them make a turn around and fight back in, but I don't know who they would kick out, mainly due to my third point.

3) I really hope the Crossmen build on last year and push higher in the placements. It may only be a ranking or two, but slow progress is much better than regressing out of finals. I think finals is a better place with Crossmen back in it.

I'm interested to see where Boston and Madison go. They both have been getting a little better every year since 2010 in my eyes, steady progress. The real question is will someone fall above them? That top 6 was on a whole other level last year than the corps right below them, so I think it'll be kind of hard to break in. Cavies fell last year, but I have a feeling they'll be right back on their feet this year.

The real excitement and question to me is in this group:

The Academy

Blue Knights

Blue Stars

Colts

Crossmen

Pacific Crest

Spirit of Atlanta

Troopers

Haven't really heard much about The Academy, but going off of their recent seasons, they'll be somewhere in this mix.

Blue Knights, I'm not too sure about. Haven't heard enough that allows me to make up my mind on. Lost some great staff, the question is, who are they going to bring in to replace them?

Colts seems to have picked up some great additions for this summer. 50th Anniversary is a special one, maybe that'll add some extra fuel to the fire? Haven't really heard much else, but I think they'll be on the right track.

Crossmen are going to keep improving, no doubt. The numbers they had at camps were RIDICULOUS, and in Texas, that's top of the line talent right there. Show seems like a fantastic fit for them.

Blue Stars staff is pretty drastically different. A lot different, and they're some pretty big names. You know they're going to be out for blood. I think good things are going to be coming. VERY good things.

Pacific Crest had their best show ever in my opinion last year, they took big step in the right direction. Show this year seems to fit them, I'm excited to see them improving again.

Spirit's show sounds perfect for them, right along with what they did last year. Will it allow them to move up though? I don't know for sure, we'll see.

Troopers this coming year has a Madison-esque 2010 revamp written ALL over it. New staff and a show that goes back to all of their roots. There is no possible way this couldn't be good.

Battle much?

Edited by DrumManTx

I'm waiting for The Academy to break into the Top 12.

Not based on anything in particular... just seems they've been knocking on the door for a bit now.

I would love to see Pacific Crest do well this year. They had a great hornline in 2012 and hope to see them push upward.

Forgot about PC.

:doh:/>

I'll edit them into my post. It seems that over the recent years, the difference in level of performance between the 9th - 12th range and the 13th to 17th range has gotten less noticeable, they're all starting to show some finalist qualities, however big or small they are. It's awesome.

Edited by DrumManTx

I really love that level of corps right around the threshold of making finals. Lots of character at that level.

I agree.

• Like 1