Your First Car

With a GTO, Duster, Firebird, Javelin, Challenger, etc, if you were thinking "what's visibility and legroom like from the backseat?", you were already missing the point.

LOL, like I said the car was a demonstrator and when you had two adults in the front buckets guess where the pre-teen (aka me) went. Long story but sometimes when I hung around the dealership/garage I got shang hai'ed into some things most kids never got to experience.

Salesman to potential customer: "So you're thinking about a Jav but wondering about how your kid will ride? Hey Jimmy ask if you can go for a ride for a few minutes." 5 minutes later I'm going down Rt 22 lying my ### off when the salesman or customer asks if I'm comfortible. And thinking I'd rather be with the guy in the tow truck.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

To keep this thread drum corps related and therefore open, what memories do you have of what some corps members went through when it came to their personal transportation?

To keep this thread drum corps related and therefore open, what memories do you have of what some corps members went through when it came to their personal transportation?

Off had a contra player with a horn (minus case) in the back seat of a Beetle..... :blink:

My first car was an English Morris Minor (year? just know it was older than dirt) and it used more oil than gas and had minimal brakes (many last minute right hand turns). Only had it about a month and then I traded it for a French Simca that I could fit 7 corps members in (3 in front, 3 in rear, one in the front trunk). It may not have been the best design, nor the fastest, or the prettiest - but it always got us to practice on time!

Edited by amadorj

My first car was an English Morris Minor (year? just know it was older than dirt) and it used more oil than gas and had minimal brakes (many last minute right hand turns). Only had it about a month and then I traded it for a French Simca that I could fit 7 corps members in (3 in front, 3 in rear, one in the front trunk). It may not have been the best design, nor the fastest, or the prettiest - but it always got us to practice on time!

You got a corps member to ride under what looked like your hood? Did their drum sticks fit in there as well?

Although it wasn't my first car it was a "drum corps car" because at the time I owned it all I was ever doing was going to and from rehearsals with the car filled with other Saders. I think the most people I ever got in my 1973 Dodge Charger (with bucket seats) was 9, maybe 10, but certainly 9. It looked like the circus car when we got to rehearsal with everyone climbing out. We rode pretty low to the ground.

Salesman to potential customer: "So you're thinking about a Jav but wondering about how your kid will ride? Hey Jimmy ask if you can go for a ride for a few minutes." 5 minutes later I'm going down Rt 22 lying my ### off when the salesman or customer asks if I'm comfortible.

Don't we all wish we could do this to an overly pushy Car Salesmen ? :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YR9UeZKI78

I have an older brother who is two years my senior, so when my parents bought him in sibling terms that means you just signed up for buying me one too when the time comes. :tongue:

2004 - I was with Surf and my birthday falls during finals week every year. So...my spoiled kid thinking was that I would be surprised with a car when I came home from first tour after July 4th. Sure enough, parents picked me up after seeing the Nashua, NH show and when we pulled home well after midnight this was sitting in the garage with a big bow! Served me well until I sold it with 100k miles last June.

150935_10102671105290474_410810551_n_zps28a97d9b.jpg

Don't we all wish we could do this to an overly pushy Car Salesmen ? :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YR9UeZKI78

Got my payback when trading in a Saturn Station Wagon (too bad it was before I joined an Alumni type corps). Thing was getting up there in age and had an oil pump going out ($700+ to fix). Asked for trade in value and got the dance:

Salesman: "Here's blue book so we take off the $700 it will cost us to fix it"

me (already PO'ed): "Ain't gonna cost you $700. It's gonna cost what GM sticks you for the parts".

Salesmen: "Well, it's going to cost us the labor for the repair man".

me: "Oh bull... you're going to shove the car in the back and when one of your guys has down time you'll have him shove in a new pump instead of twiddling his thumbs".

Service Manger (who knew my history) heard the commotion sticks his head in and tells the saleman:

"Don't try... he knows how it works.... give him blue book".

Oh man... all sorts of stories.

A number of which cannot be shared here. :tongue:

Again, my years with DCA's Sunrisers.... 1977-1982... I and bunch of other folks (the Sunrisers' "Jersey Crew") commuted from NJ to Brooklyn and Long Island for rehearsals.

The drive out to Long Island... through Staten Island, then on to the Belt Parkway or Brooklyn-Queens Expressway, or sometimes cutting through midtown Manhattan to get to the Long Island Expressway... ranged from the sublime to the ridiculous. LOL. But almost always hilarious. We would do #### near anything, short of putting us or other drivers in harm's way or physically injuring someone, for a laugh. :tongue:

The drive out for Sunday rehearsals during the winter was always.... uhhhhh... interesting. :ph34r:

But the ride out on Fridays during the summer... wow. Afternoon/evening rush hour in NYC on summer Fridays is not for the faint of heart. :w00t: Some of the stuff we saw and did... good Lord.

Edited by Fran Haring