WGI Percussion

1366870477[/url]' post='3258566']

Bluecoats bassline was pretty awesome in 2012 and looks like they will be in 2013 as well. Great basslines are actually becoming a tradition with 'Coats.

Rhythm X was most deserving of the Gold. I believe they are the first WGI line to break 98 in finals history.

I can also see why Father Ryan was voted "Fan Favorite"...

very entertaining show!

Yea i agree. Father Ryan really had GE. Aimici was my favorite though. I thought Rhythm X had without a doubt the best looking floor design. They deserved the win even though their show wasn't my favorite.

Yeah, that was a pretty great show + members executing this year for them!

As for breaking 98, just last year Woodbridge scored an incredible 99.6 ( omg.gif ) in Concert World. Probably the best-playing high school percussion group I've ever seen, in any medium. Living in So CA I'm fortunate to see them at local shows, and it was awesome to see them last year.

Don't remember the recaps to see where they might've popped perfect captions (if any), but I do know the spread between them and everyone else was ginormous:

1) Woodbridge - 99.6

2) Ayala - 96.35

3) Muscle Shoals - 94.225

Woodbridge was incredible, and beat everyone without any real challenges icon_4.gif

Don't get me wrong: Rhythm X was incredible this year, and it's rare in WGI for one group to win every single caption across the board (Rhythm X only lost 2 sub-captions, by only .5 each w/one of the being to Aimachi's 99 in overall effect)

oh Woodbridge was incredible

The use of others than percussionists (guard, dancers, whatever) has been used by many others over the years in WGI-Perc., especially always powerful Dartmouth H.S. (cf. their Heartbeat show several seasons back.)

The more things change, the more they stay the same. History has a way of repeating itself.

I guess I meant to say at the WIP level. I have watched the last 3 years and no one really uses guard the way OCI does. I am not saying it is the first time, but it is unusual in their level. Regardless, I think it is interesting to watch their sow this year.

• 2 weeks later...

While the batteries of WGI may not be quite as precise with their hands as DCI lines are, there can be no question that the best front ensemble in all of marching percussion is Music City Mystique.

Eh. They had maybe the most impressive book in WGI this year, but they didn't achieve it perfectly, so I wouldn't put them in the top of all time.

If you want top front ensembles in all of marching percussion, I'd consider:

Blue Devils 1995, 1997, 2000, 2006, 2010

Cadets 1987, 1998, 2003, 2005, 2011

Cavaliers 1995, 2000, 2004, 2006

Phantom 2006

SCV 2004