Southeastern Championship

NightBEAT is on Saturday BECAUSE the Atlanta regional got moved to Sunday.

Gotcha, thank you for clearing that up.

And in my opinion DUB should take the priority Saturday date; because it will pull in way more people and thus will generate way more expendable income spending at Atlanta area businesses than any DCI event.

well, besides that, it may justcome down to who had a signed contract first

I don't know how much the Georgia Dome costs DCI for the Atlanta regional but it seems that perhaps the show might be better served in another location in the Atlanta area. There are certainly plenty of facilities to choose from, Georgia Tech and UGA to name just two. Perhaps the biggest draw to that particular facility is the fact that it is a dome. With Championships always in a domed facility now, I guess the corps want as much of an opportunity as possible to play in domes going into championships.

Dan

horrors! not have a major event in a dome? People may sweat? they may get wet? You won't get echo! I mean......oh wait, it happens every year in Allentown.

sarcasm off

• Like 2

I don't know how much the Georgia Dome costs DCI for the Atlanta regional but it seems that perhaps the show might be better served in another location in the Atlanta area. There are certainly plenty of facilities to choose from, Georgia Tech and UGA to name just two. Perhaps the biggest draw to that particular facility is the fact that it is a dome. With Championships always in a domed facility now, I guess the corps want as much of an opportunity as possible to play in domes going into championships.

Dan

Just saying Dan, I'm honestly amazed that DCI successfully held finals at Tech in 1984. It would be a logistical/staging nightmare today to move the front ensembles of 20+ corps, much less the marchers, in and out of Bobby Dodd.

Me, I'm hoping when the Blank/Reed spaceship lands in 2017, it'll open some eyes while opening its eye.

horrors! not have a major event in a dome? People may sweat? they may get wet? You won't get echo! I mean......oh wait, it happens every year in Allentown.

sarcasm off

To be fair, it rains a whole lot more in the Southeast during the summer months than it does in PA. Crown's home shows get rained out just about every other year.

• Like 1

To be fair, it rains a whole lot more in the Southeast during the summer months than it does in PA. Crown's home shows get rained out just about every other year.

and Allentown has a history of thunderstorms issues as well, going back to the 80's. Even had some delay the start of the show the last few years, and in 11 it rained on and off during Saturday night.

No one died, and everyone still plugged in all of their toys

• Like 1

Being a southerner myself it sure does seem that way, but:

Atlanta Average Rainfall in July = 5.27 in. August = 3.90 in.

Allentown, PA Average Rainfall in July = 4.95 in. August = 3.69 in.

Info from weather.com.

While it does rain more in Georgia it's not a huge difference. I hate shows in domes, but it's not hard to figure out why DCI holds regionals in them whenever possible. But surely holding the SE regional outdoors once would be preferable to holding it on a Sunday?

Being a southerner myself it sure does seem that way, but:

Atlanta Average Rainfall in July = 5.27 in. August = 3.90 in.

Allentown, PA Average Rainfall in July = 4.95 in. August = 3.69 in.

Info from weather.com.

While it does rain more in Georgia it's not a huge difference. I hate shows in domes, but it's not hard to figure out why DCI holds regionals in them whenever possible. But surely holding the SE regional outdoors once would be preferable to holding it on a Sunday?

Very well, my assumption was apparently incorrect. I agree that outdoor shows are far better acoustically. BUT, I just have so many memories of showing up to an outdoor marching show, be it high school or DCI, and it being rained out (not delayed or postponed, but CANCELLED) that I tend to prefer just having a show indoors whenever possible. But soon, we'll both get our way when the new Falcons stadium is completed.

• Like 1

and Allentown has a history of thunderstorms issues as well, going back to the 80's. Even had some delay the start of the show the last few years, and in 11 it rained on and off during Saturday night.

No one died, and everyone still plugged in all of their toys

I didn't do any research on this so I could be wrong, but I think the difference between the two areas is the time it takes the storms to pass. Again, Crown's shows are often cancelled, called off completely due to weather, not just delayed. Sometimes we're lucky enough to get a standstill from Crown, and other times we're not. We get some pretty nasty thunderstorms around these parts and more often than not, it takes a while for them to clear out.

Edited by crownisking