No Florida?

Spent 4-years of all-days (3-weeks for the first three years) in the Florida weather so I know how hard it must be for show organizer to put one together and hope it doesn't get rained out. I remember finals in '96 and '97 with all the weather issues and stuff. We were warming up out at the fair grounds in '96 and talking with some dudes from SCV and they were saying how miserable it was and we were like man, we have camps and all-days in this stuff :cool:

The idea of outdoors drum corps in the deep south in the heat of summer always seemed really dumb to me.

• Like 7

The idea of outdoors drum corps in the deep south in the heat of summer always seemed really dumb to me.

And yet at one time there were 5 corps in New Orleans with temps in the upper 90's and the humidity of the swamp we live in. We wern't dumb, we just drink alot

And yet at one time there were 5 corps in New Orleans with temps in the upper 90's and the humidity of the swamp we live in. We wern't dumb, we just drink alot

Since I'm made of sugar, I wouldn't have made it. I salute your ability to deal with that. And I would think drinking would make it worse. I envision myself face down on a practice field somewhere, soaked in sweat and being eaten alive by mosquitoes.

Last summer the souvie truck lady for BAC told me most of their members are from Florida. hmmmmm odd indeed.

Odd indeed....and untrue. Although Florida is well represented in the horn line, "most" of the members are not from the Sunshine state...(just ask the shuttle drivers who spent all day yesterday picking up 15 kids at a time from the airport in Tampa). :)

And, as I said earlier, this weekend's camp is only the SECOND time the drum corps has convened in Florida in 2013....hardly a major presence, I should think.

The unidentified souvie truck lady notwithstanding, the Florida membership is probably around 30-35%.

Since I'm made of sugar, I wouldn't have made it. I salute your ability to deal with that. And I would think drinking would make it worse. I envision myself face down on a practice field somewhere, soaked in sweat and being eaten alive by mosquitoes.

Sorry I wasn't clear, the coolers full of beer were for after practice. Back in the 70's, most kids learned to drink beer as a child at crawfish boils so 15 year olds drinking after practice really wasn't a big deal.

15 years drinking beer is still normal in NOLA haha jk...kinda

Speaking of crawfish...I desperately need some crawfish in my life right now. If you ever come to NOLA there is a place called Salvo's in Belle Chasse that has great crawfish!

True. And doing spring practice on windy, icy or snowy fields or on concrete at shopping malls, or inside airplane hangars or military armories with temps in the high 30's or low 40's ...inside and outside.... blows too. ' Been there, done that.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

The last time there was a show in South Florida was 1988.....

:sad: