CAVIES or DEVILS?

dci-junky

Sometimes it almost shocks me that people ask this question. Take a listen to their recordings from the last 6-7 years. You can hear a certain maturity in the sound of BD. Ranging from their sound quality, to dynamic contrast to technical difficulty. Its just an incredible organization.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't really say one line is better than the other. They have different books, different arranging ideas and sound concepts. They are both incredibly good at what they do. If you switched their books, they would probably still both be good, but they would sound very different, since they have different ideas about what constitutes an ideal hornline sound. So, I really can't answer the question, I guess.

I would say bd more than cavies.. yea cavies had and amazing show last year but this year they tried to top it off.. bd has been kicking butt since cali and im totally proud of them they worked there ### off this year.. last year they only had 2 sets that were the same all season and they didn't win because visually cavies was solid but bds hornline was flawless... the colorguard i mean sorry but come on.... bd takes the cake on that one...i had some friends in there guard.. watching them warm up can inspire anyone to want to join colorguard

If you were to have asked this question many years ago, my answer would have been BD. However as I've gotten older (not necessarily wiser), I prefer music that is interesting and subtle, as opposed to "in your face."

What I love about the Cavaliers, is that their music interests me, especially the way it is performed with such great control/blend/dynamics combined with the excellent visual package. I like music that builds, creates tension and teases a little. It's amazing to me that what I'm hearing is being performed on a football field, and not in a studio. And the fact that it's original makes it much more interesting and exciting for me. Cavaliers 2003 kept me on the edge of my seat.

• 3 weeks later...

it depends on what your looking for I think.

Of course, I will always have Green running through my blood.

However, if I want Jazz, I will go with BD, Coats, Scouts B)

If I want Innovative/Original, I go with Cavaliers :blink:

If I want Broadway, I go with SCV :luke:

If I want Classical, I go with Phantom :blink:

If I want Entertainment, I go with all b**bs

If I want West Side.....Cadets (lol) :P

You really can't say that one corps is better than any other, because each corps has something another corps does not....their own identity/style. Each corps is good at what they do.

When I hear High Brass, I think of BD

When I hear High Percussion, I think of Cavies

When I hear High Guard, I think of SCV/Cadets/Phantom

When I hear Spirit of Disney, I think of Scouts

Now please remember, these are all of my opinions.

No disrespect but I have read a lot about how the Cavaliers original music "is getting old". Hmmm. I agree that the Cavaliers music may not be memorable in many peoples minds

On the contrary, I think some of the Cavaliers music can be memorable in people's minds. I still have the opening minute of this year's Cavies show still stuck in my head. Originality for the Cavies is a plus, as well as a minue because after doing it 3 years in a row, you'd thnk that the music staff would run out of ideas. The word is going around that they'll do another original production next year. I personally don't believe that. I think they'll go back to arranging for a few years then do some original work again. But obviously, none of us will know till late next month or early November, so we'll have to wait and see. But to compliment the brass line, they have a much stronger and richer sound than they did in 2000. So keep it up, Cavies.