CAVIES or DEVILS?

dci-junky

Ok folks we all know that this debate can go on for ever but in my opinion BD has the greatest hornline with the greatest brass players. Can anyone but cavies do cavies vis package no, but this is the BRASS forum and when I think about brass I think about Madison 93,95,99 and Blue Devils. Ya know I did find it interesting I had the oppertunity to talk a little bit with the Cavies soloist from this year, ya know what his pre show hype music is?? 95 madison with Edwin Bogert and Jon Schipper playing leads, kinda interesting don't ya think??

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i would have to say a tie... i love the cavvies for the design and imagination, but not a fan of the music all the time... and blue devils i love the music, but its hard to see the drill with the dark uniforms... maybe its just me...but i think if you had cavvies imagination and blue devils music it would be an awesome awesome drum corps. (not that cavs or bd are awesome, but they would be even awesomer if they mixed)

complete tossup IMO. Cavies have mastered a well balanced sound that is pure regardless of what kind of drill they are doing. People say that they don't get loud enough... I say that they have dynamic control as far as building up their sound to the point taht their loud dynamics seem so natural. Nobody else can pull off that great sound with insane drill.

BD has that style and attitude to them that defines their persona. Their music is cool, clean, and in your face. They know how to rip your face off when they need to, and they do it will a very solid sound that is not crass or overblown. No other corps can pull off Jazz the same way that they can.

So, I guess it all comes down to what I want to listen to, especially these past couple years.

• 5 weeks later...

Ya know, going back to this thread, and reading some of the comments, I would have to agree with ProJoe. When I hear brass, I think of Blue Devils.

It has only been recently that the Cavaliers have become a name with the hornline. Within three years, imo, David Bertman has taken the Cavalier hornline to new heights. I know there have been many great caption heads, but until he came along, no one ever heard, "WOW, Cavaliers horns are awesome"....yeah, you may not hear that much today, but they get talked about more. (you just hear...they're original/boring) but no one still really talks about how great their sound/tonation is.

I think we will always associate Blue Devils with the better hornline because of their track record....but the Cavaliers are slowly making a name for themselves in the hornline aspect.

I got to see both of them on the same night for the first time ever at Allentown this year. They both took my breath away.

That being said, I was really looking forward to my DCI 2003 CD's. When I was just listening to the corps without seeing them I was a little disappointed with both. It's not until I get to my second disc that I begin to enjoy the music.

No one plays songs anymore. It's all little phrases that match some drill movement. I guess that's what the DCI judges think is better.

I think that is why I'm enjoying DCA so much more now. They play songs.

All time favorite hornline MADISON hands down. Those boys can play!!!

No one plays songs anymore. It's all little phrases that match some drill movement. I guess that's what the DCI judges think is better.

I think that is why I'm enjoying DCA so much more now. They play songs.

All time favorite hornline MADISON hands down. Those boys can play!!!

i agree with you, to an extent, but the QUALITY of sound has increased ten-fold. drum corps now-a-days (in some organizations) is a place where private instructors dont cringe when their students come home from tour