CAVIES or DEVILS?

dci-junky

I was just wondering which corps people like the most. I've been reading a lot of stuff about how the cavies are over-rated and they're not as "dangerous" as they're made out to be. But I will say one thing, they sure are ORIGINAL. And that, in my book, counts for a lot more than just name recognition. Now i'm not saying that the blue devils aren't any threat either, I mean of course they are. They're so good it's sick. But I just think that the Cavaliers have a certain class and style that no one has achieved YET! They have a very distinct way of doing everying; from the way they march, sound and entertain. They have a very interesting edge about them. But that's just me, so feel free to put your two cents in! :luke:

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well, i'm a hardcore blue devils fan. cavaliers are probably my 3rd favorite corps (behind BD and scouts). i love how they do original stuff, but eventually, it just gets all old. i loved their 2000 show! that thing was absolutely amazing. didn't care too much for four corners, and i've never seen their 2002 show in full, but i've heard the music, and i love the music. about the whole style thing, i dunno if it's just me, but i usually can tell whether a show is a BD show or not without knowing who it is. i dunno. to me, there's just something about the blue devils that i love. i can only describe it as.....they're so COOL! (and i thought this was pretty funny when i first heard their 2003 show was the phenomenon of cool) it's just an attitude or something they have. they're like cool, but laid back. it's like they're saying "yea, we good. now just sit back and check this out...". but i dunno, that's just me. i do love the cavaliers tho. their brass the bass couple of years has been godly, and they can march like crazy!

BD has one of its best hornlines ever. Their warmup before the SA show last weekend was incredible. I saw them warm up before finals last year and this one, already, was better. I got mad goosebumps -- it was off the hook.

Cavaliers are quite controlled this year, as you'll hear when you check out their 1st sops early in the show. They're good, but I think BD's hornline has it this year, thanks especially to the BD Contra Line, some of whom I and a buddy of mine hung with up in Dallas. Props!

Out of Cavies and BD I'd have to say BD, although I don't like either very much. Cavies often put me to sleep with their hornline. Their drill is amazing but if the music isn't there then to me they got nothin. BD has that loud jazz style that I love. But I don't really care for their drill. lol. I do pick BD TO WIN THIS YEAR though. I don't think Cavies can pull it off. But as for hornlines go, BD over Cavies.

Cavaliers. not only does their show style appeal MUCH more to me, they are IMO a better balanced corps. They perform well in all captions consistently, as well as consistently have one of the harder shows in DCI. BD is great musically and guard-wise, but i cant stand their visual design. 9 out of 10 years i strongly dislike it.

Well, I haven't seen BD yet this year but my guess that they as great as they usually are in the brass department. My boys in green are GREAT musicians and could probably take anybodys book and play it.

No disrespect but I have read a lot about how the Cavaliers original music "is getting old". Hmmm. As old as BD always playing jazz? As old as PR playing classical? As old as Cadets rehashing year after year. I agree that the Cavaliers music may not be memorable in many peoples minds (mine included) but they play the heck out of it and it "fits" into their show concepts. And, the last few years musical books are no where close to the Cavaliers of 10 years ago. How many top corps can say that?

Now, do I look forward to hearing BD's jazz? PR's classical? Cadets rehashing? Absolutely. Drum corp would not be the same if they changed their style. All I am saying is that new is just as good as old.

Going only on past years, I would probably go with BD.

Well, I haven't seen BD yet this year but my guess that they as great as they usually are in the brass department. My boys in green are GREAT musicians and could probably take anybodys book and play it.

The corps is full of some great musicians, I agree. I would be skeptical about handing them another corps' music book though, unless they had a different visual package with less meat. . .not an easy visual package, but something less deamnding, yet effective. IMO, the Cavies play an easier (not easy) music book probably in part because they have a higher visual demand than probably anyone. I would not however go as far as your statement, unless they took a more balanced approach to design.

um.... my favorite corps is phantom regiment. BUT i do love cavies and BD.

if blue devils had better drill i would love them.

BD has the music

cavies have the drill

so. for the question blue devils or cavies, im going to have to go with the corps known as THE Blue Cavalier Devils (made up) if BD had cavies drill they would be the best.

actually i like blue devils more than cavaliers just because they are cooler.

-demo