Blue Devils 2013

Good point. I happen to agree. That said, I believe the DCI judges overlooked this incongruity re. the theme and looked more to the creativity of the programming itself compared with others in competition as well as the execution of the show with the various Corps sections in comparison to the execution of the others in competition. But you are correct, Dadaism is antithetical to teamwork as embraced by Drum Corps. Dadaism was about anarchy. And as most understand, anarchy quickly devolves into... well, anarchy... and thus dies of its own self centered accord. Which is what happened to the millionaire's financed Dadaists that congregated in tony Zurich in the Swiss Alps.

But a show doesn't have to be Dada to be about Dada -- just like a movie about Dada wouldn't necessarily have to be filmed using Dadaist's style. That's my main problem with this criticism. That show was, technically, called "Cabaret Voltaire"; I always took that to mean that it was channeling the space where Dada and other randomized, frenetic art forms could happen.

I didn't need the show to be Dada to tell that story, because I didn't take the designers' intent to be quite so literal about it.

• Like 2

All I can say is this is one jazzy rendition of rite. the drill is really fast too. They have 100 white poles on the field. the corps to watch this year though is BDB!!! Mark my words they are going to really turn some heads this year!!! worthy.gif

All I can say is this is one jazzy rendition of rite. the drill is really fast too. They have 100 white poles on the field. the corps to watch this year though is BDB!!! Mark my words they are going to really turn some heads this year!!! worthy.gif

100 white poles? Are they building a McMansion this year?

• Like 2

But a show doesn't have to be Dada to be about Dada -- just like a movie about Dada wouldn't necessarily have to be filmed using Dadaist's style. That's my main problem with this criticism. That show was, technically, called "Cabaret Voltaire"; I always took that to mean that it was channeling the space where Dada and other randomized, frenetic art forms could happen.

I didn't need the show to be Dada to tell that story, because I didn't take the designers' intent to be quite so literal about it.

Exactly!

• Like 1

So, it was a show designed to describe "the venue; the building structure called Cabaret Voltaire" and not a show about what took place inside the building?

• Like 1

That show was, technically, called "Cabaret Voltaire"; I always took that to mean that it was channeling the space where Dada and other randomized, frenetic art forms could happen.

Some people sat in some space in the stands and simply channeled ramdomized, frenetic art forms back to them too. Thats where it happened... in the stands, last season. People's response to shows are of a personal nature, and there is really no criticism neccesary for their response it seems to me, no matter what that response might be ( except booing, imo. )

Edited by BRASSO

I agree that Stravinsky seems to be an odd fit for Blue Devils, much as it was for Spirit in 1988, though I think they'll fare better. It could work. No one can dispute that Blue Devils take risks, but they are always calculated risks. As far as being a favorite of the crowd, "Cabaret Voltaire" was not a show that was completely understood or loved by all and Blue Devils received a polite at best reception in Allentown and Indy, especially compared with Crown and Phantom. Still, they know how to win better than anyone else whether crowds are cheering or jeering. However, we can guarantee one thing, whether the show is loved and successful or a disaster, it will be the topic of many heated DCP posts all summer long.

This is true. I had to explain to a few people in Atlanta what exactly the show was about and even then, they looked pretty confused. But somehow I was able to buy into the show early on, and by the end of the season, it was my favorite show of the year.

Looks as if you and saxfreq1128 are searching real hard to find ways 'justify' a show design that not many in the audience enjoyed.

But that's just it: I don't see anything needing justification here. It's a show about Dada that wasn't itself Dadaist. Makes sense to me -- just like "Stonehenge" had nothing to do with Stonehenge and "Niagara Falls" had frankly nothing to do with Niagara Falls besides some cool water imagery. These things didn't bother me then, and they don't bother me now.

I think we need to stop evaluating BD's show like it's a Masters' thesis or a performance piece at the MoMA and accept it for what it was: a drum corps show that some people liked, many people didn't, and more importantly, a drum corps show from literally a year ago that we all just need to get. over.

• Like 8

I find it interesting to have people criticize a show before it even hits the field. I am really looking forward to seeing what they do with their show this year. Maybe I'll absolutely love it, or maybe I won't like it. But it is a hard call to make before either hearing the music, or seeing the show.

I did like their show last year, but didn't love it by any means. I have kind of wondered this however. If BD hadn't won last year, would more people have actually enjoyed their show. A lot of the criticisms I heard had more to do with the fact they were winning with that show, rather than the hating of the show. Granted a lot of people didn't care for the show, which is fine. Everyone will have their own opinions. However, it seems that dislike can be magnified, if the judges seem to disagree with the opinions of the person who doesn't care for the show.

Regardless, I would almost guarantee BD will probably be top 3 once again, and probably in the hunt for the title once again.

Musically I think I am going to like this show better than last year. But it will definitely depend on the arrangements and show design. BD has definitely put on some good shows, and interesting shows in recent years. Just can't wait until I get to see them live or on internet.