Can one bad show really hurt a corps?

Just wondered if you thought one bad show could hurt a corps either with the judges or fans for many years to come. I remember BK did the Cartoon show, and dropped from 6th to 14th place. And while it wasn't one of my favorite BK shows, I didn't think it was as bad as everyone said. However, it seemed to take them a few years to recover from that, even though I thought their next show really should have made finals(Fear and Trembling was one of my favorite musical shows of that year).

Another example, is Pioneer had some really great shows/corps in the late 90s. Then the corps did the "Oliver" show. which I felt was really underwritten for a corps of that caliber. It reminded me of something a junior high marching band would have performed. And it seemed like after that membership dropped, and the placements were typically at the bottom of DI/World Class corps.

I am a fan of both of these corps, and have enjoyed almost all of their productions over the years. But do you sometimes feel like one bad year, whether it be from poorly written show(regardless of how well they may be performed) or poorly performed show, can really hurt a corps for years to come?

I guess on the reverse side, Madison has had their share of down years in the last decade, and it never seems to hurt them in the following years. in fact sometimes the crowd even seems to be more on their side after a down year. Of course, Madison has always been a crowd favorite for many years, where as Bk and Pioneer don't get that kind of fan appreciation.

Just wondered if you thought one bad show could hurt a corps either with the judges or fans for many years to come.

There is a difference between what judges call good and bad shows and what fans think re. good and bad shows.

I think a bad show in one year compared to is considered normal for that level Corps won't effect the Corps that much. If its back to back, then it could. But we usually see Corps making changes in staff if the show does not reach their expectations.

One bad show won't hurt a corps. One bad show done three to five years in a row can hurt a corps.

• Like 3

Not all "bad" shows are created equal.

Some years a corps may not recruit as many talented members, a designer can have an off year, etc. Not making finals makes recruiting tougher, but many corps bounce back. Since making finals for the first time in 1987, Bluecoats missed one year but they rebounded, Carolina Crown likewise missed one year, and as you mentioned BK missed a year. Madison missed finals in 2009 but they rebounded. Spirit certainly got a boost after making finals in 2011, and Crossmen may see the same boost this year, but making finals is no guarantee either. Troopers were finalists in 2009, and the crowd response will be thunderous if they return again, but last year Troopers had a show that was even criticized by some of their stalwart fans. Poor "Granny Smith" had about 100 strokes and heart attacks over the state of the Troopers. If early season reports are accurate, we'll see a far stronger and larger "Troop" this year.

My guess would be that if a corps misses finals and the organization itself is in disarray, rebounding would probably be tougher. If the corps si healthy, they lick their wounds and get back to work.

Could SCV 1990 be an example? 1st in 1989, then 6th in 1990. Rebounded back to 4th, then the rest is history until a new staff was brought in for the 96 season which led to a championship 10 years after their last. Keep in mind, aside from the 1980 season, they a had BD like run of not placing out of the top 3 from 1972 to 1989.

I can argue that it was not one bad season/show that cause the dark era of SCV in the early 90's, compared to their prior run, Gail Royer passing, turn over in staff after 1989, etc.

BD went on a drought from 1987 til they won in 1994. Helped by the addition of Scott Johnson and Todd Ryan to the staff. That may have contribute to potential members opting for BD over SCV.

From what I hear from members of the Blue Devils in 1991, they were favored to win that year due to most of the horn line and drumline returning. Then Tom Float quit in January 91 because BD let go of Catherine Float (Front Ensemble Cap). That followed by the almost the entire drumline walking out in protest. Long story short, they had tough go that year. Took BD's percussion program 3 years to recover thanks to Scott Johnson being brought in 1994 and that changed everything for that organization.

Could SCV 1990 be an example? 1st in 1989, then 6th in 1990. Rebounded back to 4th, then the rest is history until a new staff was brought in for the 96 season which led to a championship 10 years after their last. Keep in mind, aside from the 1980 season, they a had BD like run of not placing out of the top 3 from 1972 to 1989.

I can argue that it was not one bad season/show that cause the dark era of SCV in the early 90's, compared to their prior run, Gail Royer passing, turn over in staff after 1989, etc.

This is a good point but could one also make the point that after 2004. SCV had placed OUT of Top 5 only once in the ten seasons from 1995-2004. Then in 2005 they did the Russian X-mas show in 2005 & placed lowest in corps history. Since then, the corps has MISSED Top 6 as many times as they've placed 5th, and they haven't placed above 5th since 2004.

Obviously there are a number of reasons why SCV has had competitive problems re-cracking Top 3, but I think once could make the argument that they had 'competitive inertia' and excitement from 1996 through 2004, and then after the 2005 show there has been significantly less excitement, which theoretically means maybe a drop-off in talent auditioning for SCV.

That's all stipulation & broad theorizing of course, but I think it's not out of the realm that one could make an argument that one far-worse-than-normal year could really hurt a corps. Obviously SCV has still never placed lower than 8th, and I would say they've bounced back from 2005 nicely (also, I'd say the Top 7 corps are extremely talented making it a LOT more difficult for corps to move up than it did in the 90's).

One bad show won't hurt a corps. One bad show done three to five years in a row can hurt a corps.

Perhaps if they did a "different" show each year....it wouldn't be so bad! :rolleyes:/>