Carbon fiber

Makes sense. it's kind of a material du jour right now, for it's strength and aesthetic qualities. It's used a lot in the car business, and even faux finishes are showing up on phones and other things like it. I'm guess the vibe bars are just finished to look like carbon fibre instead of actually being made out of it. Since it's not actually metal, I doubt it would resonate.

Hope that helps solve the confusion.

Makes sense. it's kind of a material du jour right now, for it's strength and aesthetic qualities. It's used a lot in the car business, and even faux finishes are showing up on phones and other things like it. I'm guess the vibe bars are just finished to look like carbon fibre instead of actually being made out of it. Since it's not actually metal, I doubt it would resonate.

Hope that helps solve the confusion.

*puts on engineer hat*

Actually, Carbon Fiber composites are quite resonant materials. We even use the resonance as a very easy way to tell whether there are any flaws or damage to the structure. When you tap it with a coin or similar, it will sound dead in the spots with damage or flaws.

*puts on musician hat on top*

Now, would you want to actually make marimba/vibe bars completely out of it? Probably not, because although Carbon Fiber has great strength and stiffness while still being light as hell, the impact resistance isn't there. I can't tell you how many times I have to do maintenance approvals for composite parts because somebody wasn't careful with a tool in their pocket. And when the point of a marimba/vibe bar is to be hit constantly, you'll get the dead spots all the time.

*takes both off and puts on Corps Fan Hat*

I like cool looking instruments, so I can't wait to see these!

• Like 3

Yes and no. Shane was a Dynasty artist when he took the caption head role at Phantom, but has long used Pearl Drums with MCM. When Phantom made the switch this year he did as well.

Thanks for the clarification. I knew Shane has been with MCM for awhile, who's been with Pearl forever and I ASSUMED he was kinda "stuck" with Dynasty and now maybe the contract with Phantom was up. Thanks for setting the record straight

perhaps you mean "presumption" (a conclusive judgment) rather than "assumption" which means to go up;

to use "assume" incorrectly is to make an ### of you and me. (just a pet peeve of mine like Boo's upsetment with people who mistype Bluecoats as Blue Coats.):rock:/>/>

No, I meant "assumption," meaning

A thing that is accepted as true or as certain to happen, without proof: "they made certain assumptions about the market"

though both assumption and presumption are often used interchangeably.

But thanks for contributing to the conversation about percussion finishes... :rolleyes:

• Like 3

*puts on engineer hat*

Actually, Carbon Fiber composites are quite resonant materials. We even use the resonance as a very easy way to tell whether there are any flaws or damage to the structure. When you tap it with a coin or similar, it will sound dead in the spots with damage or flaws.

Now, would you want to actually make marimba/vibe bars completely out of it? Probably not, because although Carbon Fiber has great strength and stiffness while still being light as hell, the impact resistance isn't there. I can't tell you how many times I have to do maintenance approvals for composite parts because somebody wasn't careful with a tool in their pocket. And when the point of a marimba/vibe bar is to be hit constantly, you'll get the dead spots all the time.

VERY interesting; I wonder what Mapex has up their sleeve as far as maybe a potential new material for vibe bars. Now, I thought that carbon fiber was kind of expensive and not necessarily conducive to this sort of manufacturing to a broader market (that was information I heard quite awhile ago, so that might be way outdated at this point).

Thanks for your insight. Time to start digging around to find out what's going on with Mapex vibes...

Edited by perc2100

VERY interesting; I wonder what Mapex has up their sleeve as far as maybe a potential new material for vibe bars. Now, I thought that carbon fiber was kind of expensive and not necessarily conducive to this sort of manufacturing to a broader market (that was information I heard quite awhile ago, so that might be way outdated at this point).

Thanks for your insight. Time to start digging around to find out what's going on with Mapex vibes...

You're right. Carbon fiber is expensive. I'm in aviation, so it's pretty common where I'm at, and I have a very rich customer. However, it's easy and cheap to make stuff that looks like carbon fiber as a wrap for anything...phone cases, car hoods, vibe bars :ph34r:/>

Love me some Pearl, excited to hear Phantom on them!

Agreed - Dynasty drums can definitely be tuned to sound good but Pearls have that deep, rich resonance!! And Phantom's percussion arranger uses a lot of drags / grace notes that Pearl snares will really articulate.

• Like 1

No, I meant "assumption," meaning

though both assumption and presumption are often used interchangeably.

But thanks for contributing to the conversation about percussion finishes... rolleyes.gif

drilltech1 is obviously a parochial school product. only someone with 12 yrs of careful training would naturally assume the meaning of "assumption" is "to go up" :-)

signed,

a fellow parochial school product :-)

Edited by JohnZ
image removed
  • Like 3

*puts on engineer hat*

Thanks for the lesson. I knew it didn't have much impact resistance, which is why F1 cars shatter whenever they get touched wrong, but I did not know it could resonate.

I'm guessing it's just a wrap or pattern on the vibe bars to look cool. Hopefully they'll end up on the field, will look pretty snazzy.