Acheson to China

As all will now know from Field Pass, Dan Acheson is off to China to expand the influence of DCI to be truly international.

Shangh'ai, the large commercial metropolis, is his destination and has held host in the last years to many American high school and college bands and musical ensembles.

In fact, Ron Nelson's Rocky Point Holiday, associated with Cadets and Blue Knights, was written originally for such a sojourn to China for the University of Minnesota.

My question, if beyond Drumbattle and Soundsport, Dan's efforts are successful, what current American corps would be a candidate to follow? Why?

One of the oldest, Holy Name, Madison, Cavaliers, Boston Crusaders?

A West Coaster like Blue Devils, Santa Clara, or the cousins, the Mandarins?

Who would you like to see representative of North American drum corps culture?

• Like 1

Mandarins?

• Like 1

Don't really have an answer to the OP's question, but I remember a thread last year that speculated on which country or region DCI is most likely to to expand in and market to in the future. I was watching a Youtube video compilation that featured shows from US, Japan, and Malaysia (and I believe Thailand). I knew Japan had a thriving marching arts scene, but I had no idea SE Asia was as advanced as it is. DCI is smart to try to make inroads into China considering the size of the country and its economic success. As their marching arts scene expands and matures, they will undoubtedly develop their own style and strengths, which will serve to rejuvenate and strengthen the activity as a whole.

• Like 1

I'll be in Shanghai next Tuesday for my eighth visit to China in eight years. I'll let you know if I see DCI bling on sale in Nanjing Street stores.

• Like 1

Well Troopers certainly portray a particularly American slice of life.

I'm surprised no one said Phantom Regiment given their Turandot success.

BD does the jazz (definitely an American contribution) very well but I wouldn't say they are typical of most American approaches to drum corps. Madison and Cadets have also done jazz many times. Good question.

I'll be in Shanghai next Tuesday for my eighth visit to China in eight years. I'll let you know if I see DCI bling on sale in Nanjing Street stores.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

City-name-dropper!!!!!

:tongue:

....said the VERY jealous person who would love to visit China.

I wanna be like Mike

• Like 1

Mandarins?

from DCI website

About Mandarins

mandarins.jpgThe Mandarins organization was founded in 1963 as the Ye Wah Drum and Lyre Corps, created for the youth of the Sacramento Chinese community. One year later, the ensemble added bugles and a color guard, and took on its current name in 1967. The corps won the Drum Corps International Division III World Championship seven times and won the Division II World Championship once before moving to Division I competition in 2003. Mandarins' programs often focus on Asian influences, most obvious in the ethnic drums used in the front percussion ensemble.

P.S. beside Mandarin being a hue of the color orange, it is a major Chinese language dialect, like Cantonese, Szechuan, etc.

Edited by drilltech1