Cadets Streaming Live Full Run This Weekend

I heard Hopkins introduce Swing, Swing, Swing as a John Williams piece. I had never heard this piece before and it struck me as an homage (or rip off) of Sing, Sing, Sing. Same rhythm and chords, different riffs that were interesting. But it did not "swing" quite as well as it could. Listening to the 1941 soundtrack, the piece can swing. I guess allowances or compromises are a reality when a drum corp or marching band does a swing number. I suppose classical and pop/rock fans can feel the same way about those styles. But this is drum corps! The expectation should be a fusion of the in-your-face drum corps style with whatever material they choose to present. Enjoy it for what it is!

I heard Hopkins introduce Swing, Swing, Swing as a John Williams piece. I had never heard this piece before and it struck me as an homage (or rip off) of Sing, Sing, Sing. Same rhythm and chords, different riffs that were interesting. But it did not "swing" quite as well as it could. Listening to the 1941 soundtrack, the piece can swing. I guess allowances or compromises are a reality when a drum corp or marching band does a swing number. I suppose classical and pop/rock fans can feel the same way about those styles. But this is drum corps! The expectation should be a fusion of the in-your-face drum corps style with whatever material they choose to present. Enjoy it for what it is!

It's from The Cadets' 1995 show. They basically "defrost" it from time to time, but without the six drum sets and actual rehearsal time.

It's from The Cadets' 1995 show. They basically "defrost" it from time to time, but without the six drum sets and actual rehearsal time.

Whitedawn, what was your impression of the Cadet show from what you saw? I always thought your opinions were discriminating and fair..

Video: on Cadets FB there is a pic of the dressed run through before the broadcast. In the side column, a friend posted a video of the broadcast up to the end of the ballad. Not to post her name but her comment was awesome job. Played through it a few times. Yes, I can see a champion calibre show there under the rubble of early June..

Interesting show! Should be fun to watch to watch it grow over the next few months. I know I'm an old guy, but I bet it'd sound AMAZING on bugles!

As can too as long as they can figure out transitions and more energy for endings of tunes which cadets are famous for

I'm sure that will happen as the show becomes more automatic. At this point, they are still trying to find their dots and play the notes.

The power comes from emotion and performance and they're not at that point yet. I will see them live next week in the NNJ debut. I will review that performance as the show will be completed and another week of practice should clarify the product a bit..

It is for sure a homage/riff on SING SING SING. John Williams wrote it for the Spielberg comedy 1941, which is about Southern CA freaking out after Pearl Harbor (you can check it out here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1941_(film) )

So in context of that film, it is totally supposed to emulate SING SING SING.

Cadets did it on the field in 1995, and they have performed it several times since then for stand-still; I remember they played that in the Macy's parade a few years ago.

It is for sure a homage/riff on SING SING SING. John Williams wrote it for the Spielberg comedy 1941, which is about Southern CA freaking out after Pearl Harbor (you can check it out here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1941_(film) )

So in context of that film, it is totally supposed to emulate SING SING SING.

Cadets did it on the field in 1995, and they have performed it several times since then for stand-still; I remember they played that in the Macy's parade a few years ago.

That '95 performance of Swing Swing Swing was a real highlight, especially with the guard dancing on the stomp boxes. Great stuff.

Edited by Super Don-O