Blue Devils vs Spirit

So....this automatically makes it good....in 2013 ?

"Good" is subjective of course, but you might be hard pressed finding a legit music scholar who would say Rite of Spring is not "good."

Good doesn't automatically mean "accessible to everyone," or "I like Rite of Spring."

Also, I think Tez was perhaps commenting on the fact that the OP phrased his original post in such a manner as to imply that Rite of Spring is some unknown, uncommon, unrecognizable piece when it is in fact considered one of the most significant pieces of music ever composed. Kind of like tacitly implying you're a movie fan (and I think we can stipulate that if someone is posting on DCP they are at least marginally interested in music) while implying that CITIZEN KANE is some unknown, unrecognizable film while praising, say, TRANSFORMERS: DARK OF THE MOON as some milestone of the medium because there are lots of cool explosions. Blue Devils play the main, recognizable theme to Rite of Spring as the opening phrase of their show, I thought (could be remembering wrong, but I'm 99% sure at least the motif is played very early in the production).

I know this was just one of a myriad of opportunities for a DCP poster to hype a show they like while stabbing another show for no reason whatsoever. But if the OP is going to post like a naive, uneducated observer, and say they're unfamiliar with one of the most important musical pieces of the 20th Century, then it seems fair game to point out the piece's prominence in reply to ignorance

• Like 4

Pay no attention to Blackstar. They're stuck in some fantasy world where drum corps never changes and, for some reason, neither do the tastes of the fans.

I would say those boo's tonight at a home show are a pretty clear indicator of "changing tastes" there, buddy.

• Like 2

I would say those boo's tonight at a home show are a pretty clear indicator of "changing tastes" there, buddy.

If drum corps fans think The Rite of Springs is in poor taste, I'm not sure I want to associate with them anymore.

• Like 4

What's the issue? The Rite of Spring has been played over 10 times by a corps over the past 40 years. This is not new music to the idiom, it's not even new music to BD. As to if it's good, it depends on when you asked. People in 1913 hated it, but now we believe it to be a masterpiece. Kind of like Star 93. Everyone raves about it now, but at the time they didn't get any love. IMO this whole thing fits BD nicely. Over the past few years, they have not gotten a lot of love from the masses, but when you look back at their work - it is pretty innovative and impressive.

• Like 2

Pay no attention to Blackstar. They're stuck in some fantasy world where drum corps never changes and, for some reason, neither do the tastes of the fans.

I'm wondering how you know me so well. Did we go to school together, work together, date the same girl once, did we march in Crossmen together, have dinner at a nice restaurant together and discuss the changes in the activity? I think not.

I have no issue with changes as long as change is good. This type of change isn't good. Look at the Troopers. When they "Blued" West Side Story they made finals. When they went back to their traditional style they didn't. Will Vanguard or Phantom ever win a championship again with their current styles. I pray so but know in my heart they probably won't.

But please sir, don't presume to know me. We haven't met.

• Like 1

I'm wondering how you know me so well. Did we go to school together, work together, date the same girl once, did we march in Crossmen together, have dinner at a nice restaurant together and discuss the changes in the activity? I think not.

I have no issue with changes as long as change is good. This type of change isn't good. Look at the Troopers. When they "Blued" West Side Story they made finals. When they went back to their traditional style they didn't. Will Vanguard or Phantom ever win a championship again with their current styles. I pray so but know in my heart they probably won't.

But please sir, don't presume to know me. We haven't met.

I judge you by your posts here, not your personality in real life. I don't care who you are. I only know you start the worst threads around that are so disconnected from today's drum corps, it's sad.

• Like 5

....um... Blue Devils are playing "The Rite of Spring"... possibly the most significant piece of music ever composed.

Blue Devils are NOT doing the Rite of Spring. They are doing Brenzel's Rewrite of Spring. Check it out .... you might like some of it!