Why are fans so rude and immature?

Blue Devils will be performing at Crown's home show, NightBeat, on July 27. If they beat Crown, I'm betting the audience treats them with the utmost of respect...which would likely invite some interesting commentary about "home" shows.

1. Audiences shouldn't boo any corps.

2. Audiences have a right to express their opinions because they spent good money for tickets and without them, the activity doesn't exist.

3. Sometimes it's difficult to rationalize 1 with 2.

4. An audience expressing its opinion means there's an audience that is supporting corps with their pocketbooks.

5. Sometimes that the world is a crazy place.

6. The kids are generally tougher than some fans.

7. Members of corps that get booed because they win realize one thing most of all...they won.

8. All in all, they would rather win and get booed than lose and be cheered.

9. The world is still a crazy place.

As a member of BK 2006, I feel like stressing how true this is. We got booed when we beat Crown for 7th place at finals... Considering how much we LOVED our show, and how much DCP seemed to hate it; OH MAN did that feel good!!! ;-)

Edited by mr1138
  • Like 3

I hope that is the case. Each summer at finals I make more friends after the show and they are probably the real fans you speak of. Sitting in a restaurant, there are fans from maybe 10 corps and we all act civil. And we all get together each year and talk about the shows.

LDO, I have met people from this board at almost every show I have gone to. DCP can be harsh at times and I understand your frustration but I really don't think too many on this Board "BOO". CC and BD are going to be just fine, they are at the top of the pack so far on the west coast and both are going to be on each others heels the whole summer.

My son aged out BD and I was all in a huff when BD got Boo-ed. BD has consistently been boo-ed for years, the kids are alright. The competition and the DCP Board wars is only warming up, it's going to get brutal as the season gets in full swing. Wait until after San Antonio, it'll get down right ugly both on here and at the shows, it's competition and we love our corps.

Edited by Tricia-A BD/BK Mom

Let me start out by saying that I liked a few of the shows last night (Saturday). BD was my fave and yes I'm biased because I'm a proud BD parent and I've seen a few rehearsals by now and 2 shows. If you don't like it, that's cool. But why in H do the fans have to boo like that? I know they wanted CC to get it but they didn't so grow up already. Every year there are BD haters, never fails. That is the most disrespectful thing anyone can do. And I guarantee the large majority of those booing fans were GROWN ADULTS! I'm sure you are all aware how hard these kids work. Not just BD, but ALL the corps. If I have one bad thing to say about any show its CC. Out of the 11 1/2 - 12 minutes of the show, how much did the brass play? They spent the first couple minutes dancing towards their horn while a voice over read, what sounded very much, like a bedtime story. Later they proceeded to lay on their stomachs while wiggling their feet. Remember last year during BD's Dada show...how many of you complained about the narration? Raise your hand, come on, don't be shy. I've seen some comments about CC's narration, some bad but mostly good. So, when CC sits there and narrates practically an entire show, it's ok. But if BD does it... OMG that is so ridiculous! The fans are the ridiculous ones here.

And to prove how rude and immature the fans are, you all read about the BBQ that was shared by BD, CC, and SCV. And I bet they all got along like best friends. They cheer each other on because they are walking in each others shoes. And....they are mature.

Well let me tell you what, had I been there last night I would've booed too. But not just the Blue Devils, I would've booed all of em.

That's right, I don't like a single corps. Not one. I hate em all.

I think they're all losers.

• Like 1

Cool... We can base the winner on iTune downloads, text message votes and an 800 number.

I mean, the best singer always wins on The Voice and American Idol.

Word! Yo I think Showanda got the shaft last night though! So i aint messin up my text msg on that wack! N;am sayijn?

• Like 1

Well let me tell you what, had I been there last night I would've booed too. But not just the Blue Devils, I would've booed all of em.

That's right, I don't like a single corps. Not one. I hate em all.

I think they're all losers.

You shoulda got the VIP package then!. Wurd up yo!

I am consistent in my dislike for voice over.

There are exceptions. Essentially if its limited to pre show.

I wasn't there, and if i was I wouldn't have booed, but here is the thing. And it is a necessary distinction.

Is the booing directed at BD or the judges?

If its directed at BD then thats wrong. They have a job every 25 or so nights a summer, put on the best #### show possible. Can't fault them for doing it.

But being upset at the judges is a better place to aim it. With the apparently now empty promise that fan engagement means something, people are annoyed that a very gifted corps with a show that brings thunderous applause all over yhe country, being second place. I dont think booing is the best way to show disatisfaction with the judges, but i feel its an important distinction.

It's a distinction without a difference. You are booing the judges for putting BD in first place and Crown in second. That is clearly a comment on BD. You can't "boo the judges" without also booing BD. it doesn't work that way.

• Like 2

I'm sick of the PC generation that says we can't have an opinion of anything and we should cheer participation trophies as if they won. If people want to show their displeasure by booing, go for it. The paying fans have a voice too.

What does paying have to do with it? You pay to watch the show ... not to have the right to boo without being called out for being rude. Booing is rude and a lame way to express an opinion, regardless of how much you pay.

• Like 2

... so to make your point about fans being rude and immature, you decided Carolina Crown's use of, "laying on their stomachs and wiggling their feet," was a relevant justification?

I am personally on the fence with the booing. While I have never participated in it myself, I can easily see both sides of the argument. Yes we want all of the performers to have an incredible experience, but this is not an exhibition activity, it is a competition. And with competition comes extreme emotions. When the paying customer is upset with the competitive portion of the activity, sometimes a negative emotional response occurs (i.e. booing). However, in the 15 years I have followed DCI, DCA, and WGI, I have never seen an audience out-right "boo" an ensemble as they were performing (not to say my personal experience is the absolute truth). When there is a booing response, it only comes as the scores (determined and tabulated by subjective judges) are announced. This has been happening for years; just look at any DCI final from around 1995 - 2000 when the Madison Scouts' scores are read.

It's not an ideal situation, but if DCI is really going to be "Marching Music's Major League," we have to expect this kind of reaction.

Now, when there are fist fights in the stands and all out brawls on the field.... then we can begin to worry.

theres a story that in 2010 someone got thrown out of j birney crum because of the scouts show and people fighting over people standing and blocking views :ph34r:

Maybe we should adopt the figure skating method of whistling. If we whistle loudly during the scores the judges will know their decision sucks and the kids won't be booed! We can all go eat chocolate cake and tell stories of great wonderment while we are tucked into bed.....and we lived all happily ever after

• Like 1