Why are fans so rude and immature?

Well let me tell you what, had I been there last night I would've booed too. But not just the Blue Devils, I would've booed all of em.

That's right, I don't like a single corps. Not one. I hate em all.

I think they're all losers.

Okay, so just so everyone knows, my comment here was sort of a satire take on all this "booing stuff". Can you just imagine a guy going to a DCI event and booing all the corps, I just think that'd be so funny. lol

I for one am a Huge Blue Devils fan, but I also consider myself a fan of all the other corps. I love DCI because they all feel like my teams. After my Spurs just lost in the finals, and my Rangers two years ago in the world series (BTW, they lost eerily similar, choking in game-6 and then going on to lose game-7)...I have DCI to take away the sting. I get mad and heartbroken seeing my teams lose, but in DCI I never feel that, I feel like all the corps are my teams, and I root for all of them. Now, of course I do enjoy watching some more than others, but I can say that I've never hated a show, and I find it hard to imagine how one can hate a show. At the end of the day, I think people confuse "hate" with "not my cup of tea". For me, the Blue Knights have always been that "not my cup of tea" for me, until this year!! I love their show this year, and its going to be the first Blue Knights show that I rock out to in my car!!

GO DCI!!!

• Like 1

Except for the people in the stands who boo, who obviously don't agree with what the judges saw.

I keep saying, I don't think DCP is as far removed from the 'casual fan' than some keep insisting.

Mike

illegal use of logic.

I follow Philly teams, so I'm familiar with booing...though we usually boo our own.

Look, you can try and clamp down and make drum corps the super happy shiny place where everyone is happy, and no one boos.

Then I'll laugh at you and tell you to join reality.

I don't condone it, but people will boo. Question...Madison still gets the boos when their score is announced treatment, not as much as they did in the 90s, but it still happens...why aren't people freaking out then?

People pay money to see something, and if they are unhappy with the results, they may boo. Cool or not, it's human nature, and while we all like to show proper decorum and common courtesy, well, let's be real...common courtesy is kind of a dying art in the US anyways. I just today I held a door open for several people at Panera...not one thank you. I even smiled, and to the last one I said "you're welcome".

When you combine the arts, which have passionate fans, and scores, which leads to passion as well, people will do what they do. To try and police it is assinine, and I'm sorry, but if fans booing the judges results hurts some 22 year olds widdle feelings, grow the #### up. You'll face far worse in the real world, hell, your staff probably said worse to you on the field during the summer.

The sooner people realize all of the above, and stop trying to make drum corps the "everybodys a winner" activity, the better off we'll all be.

I'm sure I'll get red marks for this. I don't care.l It's a blunt force trauma people need to be smacked with. My kid may get booed someday when the crowd doesnt like that her corps won. Know what she'll say?

"####ers, let em boo, I won".

Just like her daddy did in 1996 when my world title was booed in someone else's hometown.

I do find it hysterical that BD losing in NorCal was booed. Seeing the blue kool aiders try to justify it, vs past justificationsfor regional bias, uneducated fans etc is hysterical.

Son's (Blue Devil age out) Facebook status the day after finals last year: "FYWW"

Google at will.

• Like 1

If people stopped booing then they wouldn't care anymore. We should worry when people don't care anymore. I think we are seeing already the frustration of people from last year's finals results and them thinking "Here we go again!" As hard-earned-cash-paying spectators they are letting the judges know they aren't happy how this rodeo is being run!

I personally really LOVE Crown's music and LOVE their visual program. I personally like BD's music but am completely uninspired by their visual program. But the two shows are like comparing apples and oranges in a way, just like last year. So I'm one of those people who don't want it to go down like last year. I don't know if I would boo at a live show or not.

Edited by jkingqm

BD parent is just upset because now all the blue kool aid folks realize why everyone has been booing the results now that they have seen Crown live for the first time since 2007...

Yeah... they are that good... and ENTERTAINING.

• Like 3

Son's (Blue Devil age out) Facebook status the day after finals last year: "FYWW"

Google at will.

This confirms EXACTLY what I hope drum corps does not become as an activity, and confirms the attitude that many say makes BD hated by so many.

• Like 7

This poster manifests a major misunderstanding of how the sheets of formulated, who proposes rules changes officially and behind the scenes, what the discussions are really like at the rules congresses and judges training sessions, and how and when people like Wayne Downey, Scojo, Scott Chandler and crew form their show ideas. As one who has attended and participated in many past DCI rules congresses as a voting member and as someone who has been to many a judging seminar/webinar and who knows each of the names mentioned personally for several decades, I could not disagree with you to a greater degree. BD did not arrive at their legacy without a strategy and some fore planning, much more than you give them credit. They know the sheets, they help create the sheets, they have a very strong voice in how the sheets are interpreted and applied.

Of course they use the sheets. Of course they had some say in their development (but they are still only one of several corps with this influence). Some people here seem to think they just look at the sheets and throw some random music and movement together to match whatever they say. The BD staff designs an overall show. They obviously keep in mind what they will be evaluated on, and it does influence some of the choices they make. However, listening to some of them explain the show and the design choices made (they have a preview event each year for donors), it is clear that they put so much more into this than just "hitting all the boxes".

Google at will.

I think you're saying this with pride instead of disappointment.... You might want to consider changing your thinking a bit.

• Like 4

I think you're saying this with pride instead of disappointment.... You might want to consider changing your thinking a bit.

My first thought after googling was "This is why some corps don't let members post"...

• Like 2

I booed a little in 09.. during awards at finals... as did MANY MANY people around me. Didn't hear a single boo after the show. Nothing but polite golf claps...

I really do like how well BD performs.. it is amazing the level of performance they put out there. But their shows just aren't as entertaining as Crown, BD, SCV, Phantom.

Not even close. And the audience is always going to pull for what is more entertaining.

And that is what I hate about BD... since they have switched to shows that are not really entertaining.. it seems like they don't give a #### what the audience thinks. It's a real shame. i hate the "forget them.. we won" attitude.

Maybe that's what they are all there for... but I know as a musician I am not there to win a competition.. I am there to perform for an audience. And I want that audience to like what I am doing. I want the audience to get a positive experience from it. The competition is just a plus. If I get that crowd up on their feet... i did my job.

Art for me is not a personal thing. It is to be shared. I understand different strokes for different folks, but when I perform, or write music, I always have the audience in mind. I don't feel good unless they feel good.

I feel BD has limited their audience to the judges.

• Like 2