Best/worst thunderous goo this year?

yamaha is making some bank: http://twitpic.com/cz6u67

it should be the Nick Starr award! not for any bad reason, but I'm pretty sure he is the only synth player to be listed by name on DCP...

edit: and according to youtube, he played cool music during water breaks

:rolleyes:

Pretty much this, it’s kind of amazing people think synth string patches sound in any way pleasant.

Agreed. Even if you get a good-sounding patch, the articulation never sounds quite right. I think they can be okay as a sort of padding, but if you can hear it as a distinct voice, that usually means it won't sound good.

• Like 2

Maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention to it, but I can't remember much goo in the Bluecoats show. Could be wrong. Cadets, I do remember specifically having a decent amount, mostly because I watched them rehearse a few days before the Akron show and I heard next to none.

Maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention to it, but I can't remember much goo in the Bluecoats show. Could be wrong. Cadets, I do remember specifically having a decent amount, mostly because I watched them rehearse a few days before the Akron show and I heard next to none.

On the Akron VODs, there's a ton for Bloo, and quite a bit for Cadets. I think mike+speaker placement is a big part of how it comes across the streams.

Colts - the space agey weird junk in the first half RUINED that part of the show. SO OUT OF PLACE!!!!!!!!! Completely 100% out of the place. I don't think I've heard something that out of place in a show ever. I take it that's the Guidry part of the show... :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Was at the Jackson show tonight.

Surf's use of electronics is fantastic, particularly the awesome Hammond B3 organ. A little goo, but not much.

Bluecoats had far and away the best brass to percussion to pit to electronics of the night. Seamless. No goo.

Phantom chose to go unplugged due to the rain. Terrible decision. Without the synth, they have no bottom end at all, and their mallets completely disappeared at times. No goo, but dang if it didn't need some badly (how often do you hear that?)

Cadets won the Thunderous Goo award for the night. More so in the first half of the show than the last half. Low end sound coming when tubas weren't even on shoulders and way out of balance.

Without the synth, they have no bottom end at all, and their mallets completely disappeared at times.

Well good thing drum corps didn’t exist before 2004 then. :doh:

Well good thing drum corps didn’t exist before 2004 then. :doh:/>

I think they gambled and lost, and got caught with their shorts around their ankles tonight in the process. If nothing else, they now know where the low end needs work, so there's that.

It pains me to say it, since I really liked the show, but SCV uses a prodigious amount of goo this year. Pretty much every hit in the show had it cranked to 11. Definitely a lot of moments where you could see the tubas and bass drums playing, but you couldn't hear them through the muck.