I don't love any of this year's shows

I think this is an activity you have to experience LIVE to appreciate, and any sort of Tubing or Networking, or Movie theatering isn't going to change that.

Which we should perhaps consider remembering when fans look and listen to video tapes of Corps performances of the past. Watching Drum Corps performances on tape is undeniably a rather subpar experience compared to watching it and hearing it live.

• Like 1

I remember laughing out loud at how ridiculous Phantom Regiment 2008 was during an early season show. i thought it was cornball central.....especially the "LIVE OR DIE" part. hahaha..

...well look how that turned out! :) Another huge corpsgasmic moment for me when I saw them in Bloomington

Im usually not overly impressed with any show early season but once I see them either live or from several videos, they grow on me. Right now, nothing stands out a ton... then again, Ive only seen a handful and none live.

• Like 1

So, I'm sorry to be a stick in the mud, but I have a problem. I don't love any of this year's shows. I've watched what's available on the Fan Network and, frankly, I'm disappointed. Is there something wrong with me or something wrong with DCI?

The best show of the bunch is Phantom, but even that feels . . . different. With the exception of SCV, it seems like everyone is taking a turn toward Weird Town, where BD Is the mayor. This is a town where everyone must have obtrusive props and electronics of you're penalized. This is not to say the members aren't putting forth a great effort and executing well, but it's more a reflection of the designers and the "adults in the room." What in the world is happening?

The music selection/arrangement is perhaps the biggest disappointment for me. Sure, there are some great moments, but the overall entertainment value is suffering. I feel like I"m hearing and watching a modern dance ensemble rather than drum corps. I really, really help this is just a passing fad because, if not, I don't know how much longer I can stick around.

Please help.

/rant over.

Its early yet. Some of the Corps still havn't competed yet, and just about all of the ones that have will be adding, deleting, changing things, etc. Once we bring all the Corps together in Indy, we'll know what we've got collectively in entertainment value this year compared to others.

Which we should perhaps consider remembering when fans look and listen to video tapes of Corps performances of the past. Watching Drum Corps performances on tape is undeniably a rather subpar experience compared to watching it and hearing it live.

Agreed...however there are some things seen or heard on tapes (brass overblowing, poor tone quality, intonation) that will only be exacerbated by seeing it live. I mean if it's apparent on the recording, you cannot miss it by being there.

There are several shows that I considered favorites when i was a kid that I can barely watch now because I can hear the "bad" now that I have experience and more education on what to listen for.

• Like 1

I am curious when you aged out?

I only ask b/c a couple years after I aged out I thought I was getting a lot less enjoyment out of DCI. I watched everything and all I heard/saw were the mistakes. Before I marched, I was in awe of everything!

Now that I am a little more removed and more able to put down the "marching member" glasses when watching shows, I am enjoying them a lot more again.

edit to add: also, it is early in the season. I generally avoid June drum corps b/c it is rough. Very rough. But by the end of July they are kicking ### and I really start to enjoy the shows.

Edited by soccerguy315
  • Like 1

So, I'm sorry to be a stick in the mud, but I have a problem. I don't love any of this year's shows. I've watched what's available on the Fan Network and, frankly, I'm disappointed. Is there something wrong with me or something wrong with DCI?

The best show of the bunch is Phantom, but even that feels . . . different. With the exception of SCV, it seems like everyone is taking a turn toward Weird Town, where BD Is the mayor. This is a town where everyone must have obtrusive props and electronics of you're penalized. This is not to say the members aren't putting forth a great effort and executing well, but it's more a reflection of the designers and the "adults in the room." What in the world is happening?

The music selection/arrangement is perhaps the biggest disappointment for me. Sure, there are some great moments, but the overall entertainment value is suffering. I feel like I"m hearing and watching a modern dance ensemble rather than drum corps. I really, really help this is just a passing fad because, if not, I don't know how much longer I can stick around.

Please help.

/rant over.

Yeah, I have to go with it being you...

Plus why make a decision from Fan Network, why not just watch snippets on YouTube from hand-held camcorders?

If you're going to make a decision without watching the corps, why spend money?

edit to add: also, it is early in the season. I generally avoid June drum corps b/c it is rough. Very rough. But by the end of July they are kicking ### and I really start to enjoy the shows.

You're absolutely right, but I love the roughness of June. Appeals to the old instructor/judge in me. Plus you think about it on the way home and imagine how they'll fix the issues.

• Like 1