New DCI judges?

I also don't think age should matter: all that should be required is that people are current with modern design & execution standards. I know some people trialing for DCI this season that range pretty broadly age-wise, but also have a wealth of experience as members, instructors, designers, band directors, etc. I obviously won't get into specifics regarding who is judging (I'll let them speak out if they want to), but it's exciting to hear that there are a good crop of judges getting into DCI judging!!

That is good to know. Continuity and bringing new folks into the DCI judging ranks is a good thing, for sure. You are correct, absolute age is not all that relevant. Interest, background skills and the available time are three items of importance!

Put five chimps in the press box with a 12 pack of Labatt's with a giant board with scores randomized across it. Wherever the poo lands, those are the scores for the night. Or is that the way DCA already does things?

Put five chimps in the press box with a 12 pack of Labatt's with a giant board with scores randomized across it. Wherever the poo lands, those are the scores for the night. Or is that the way DCA already does things?

OT...

That sounds funny, but along those lines...

I used to work for a company that had a plant in Benson, North Carolina. They had an annual holiday called 'Mule Day'...I think because the town was a big supplier of mules to the US Army back at the turn of the 20th century.

They held a town fair for the holiday, and one event was that they marked out a field with grids, and people paid a dollar or something as a 50/50 contest. They turned a cow loose on the field and whichever grid got the cow poop...the person with that grid won 1/2 of the money (I'm not sure it they also won the poop :smile:/> ).

OT...

That sounds funny, but along those lines...

I used to work for a company that had a plant in Benson, North Carolina. They had an annual holiday called 'Mule Day'...I think because the town was a big supplier of mules to the US Army back at the turn of the 20th century.

They held a town fair for the holiday, and one event was that they marked out a field with grids, and people paid a dollar or something as a 50/50 contest. They turned a cow loose on the field and whichever grid got the cow poop...the person with that grid won 1/2 of the money (I'm not sure it they also won the poop smile.gif/> ).

this thread just hit a new low.

• Like 1

The knowledge, experience, talent levels, etc of DCA judging, as well as the judging system utilized, is no more " chimpanzee " like than DCI from my assessment of both systems and the people judging in both. Both DCI and DCA have decent and talented people judging their shows. Both circuits however could use an infusion of new faces for their ranks however, imo.

Edited by BRASSO

Put me in coach. I'll be the judge of the future.

Put me in coach. I'll be the judge of the future.

which caption?

which caption?

VP, VA, and Brass. I'd ideally like to get more years of marching band judging experience, and probably some distance from previous corps affiliations. At this point, I don't think I'm mature enough to get into GE captions and judge design on a deep level.

The knowledge, experience, talent levels, etc of DCA judging, as well as the judging system utilized, is no more " chimpanzee " like than DCI from my assessment of both systems and the people judging in both. Both DCI and DCA have decent and talented people judging their shows. Both circuits however could use an infusion of new faces for their ranks however, imo.

Did you mean "new faces" or "new feces"?