Bridgeport

Frank loves to winne he's been doing it for years ,just not so public i remmber him winnning when he was with the Flames .Frank your getting to old to be a cry baby

Not only is Frank NOT a whiner, I've seen him march and perform several times when others would skip a show, through shingles, sore throats, arthritic aches and pains, etc. A lesser person would have taken himself out of the show entirely last night, not just out of the drill.

As for the unfortunate penalty, no harm done -- the corps' placement was unaffected, and now we all know the rule for the future.

Frank is a gamer, a fierce competitor. He doesn't need me to defend him, but I just couldn't let that comment go unanswered.

• Like 4

DCA, picking nits since 1964.

Seriously, we really need to comb through the rule book and delete stupid crap like this (and either score the honor guards separately or eliminate scoring them at all).

hey john....maybe you should stick with DCI since you keep flaming on this side. it's getting old. what the hell happened to you? you used to be so insightful. now you just keep talking swipes at everything and everybody. i mean that has always been my thing not yours.

• Like 2

hey john....maybe you should stick with DCI since you keep flaming on this side. it's getting old. what the hell happened to you? you used to be so insightful. now you just keep talking swipes at everything and everybody. i mean that has always been my thing not yours.

Seriously? I love DCA. Marched in DCA, taught in DCA. I have just as valid an opinion as you do. If anyone's been hostile of late, it's you. I'll tell you what I told the last guy that accused me of taking swipes: Read my posting history.

Now, on this topic, do you *really* think penalizing Frank for stepping wherever he did served any useful purpose whatsoever? I don't. When Buccaneers had a guard member penalized back in 2004 for stepping over the BACK SIDELINE, it was just as stupid a rule (especially as the T&P judge wan't anywhere near the back sideline).

Stupid rules are stupid rules, regardless of the circuit, and that includes the stupid rules in DCI (most of which are now gone, but not all).

C'mon, Don, the grumpy old man shtick doesn't suit you.

• Like 2

Seriously? I love DCA. Marched in DCA, taught in DCA. I have just as valid an opinion as you do. If anyone's been hostile of late, it's you. I'll tell you what I told the last guy that accused me of taking swipes: Read my posting history.

Now, on this topic, do you *really* think penalizing Frank for stepping wherever he did served any useful purpose whatsoever? I don't. When Buccaneers had a guard member penalized back in 2004 for stepping over the BACK SIDELINE, it was just as stupid a rule (especially as the T&P judge wan't anywhere near the back sideline).

Stupid rules are stupid rules, regardless of the circuit, and that includes the stupid rules in DCI (most of which are now gone, but not all).

C'mon, Don, the grumpy old man shtick doesn't suit you.

john you have had your posts deleted you were so hateful. mine haven't been. and dude i haven't been hostlie. but this past few weeks you think your opinion is all that counts. i retired before you even got started . i know all about DCA and in case you don't know....it saved senior drum corps. had it not been formed they all would have been gone by 1970. don't try to school this old man.

as for the penalty. yeah it's stupid. but it's the rules. so you have to follow them i know fran won't do it again. he learns from his mistakes. that's what marching is all about. but i won't argue with you lets try and be civil. like i said i always valued your opinion. oh......and i don't do schtick. it's real baby..........LOL.

• Like 1

And how ironic is it that almost 2 years ago, when Reading lost the core of their staff to C2, the talk was how this was the beginning of the end for the Reading run and perhaps he beginning of C2's dominance. Now we see Reading well on their way to a second consecutive undefeated championship season, and the Bucs old staff can't seem to field a complete program to start the season with a talented group of young marchers backed by a perennial DCI contender.

• Like 1

john you have had your posts deleted you were so hateful. mine haven't been. and dude i haven't been hostlie. but this past few weeks you think your opinion is all that counts. i retired before you even got started . i know all about DCA and in case you don't know....it saved senior drum corps. had it not been formed they all would have been gone by 1970. don't try to school this old man.

I had one post deleted by mistake, and received an apology from a DCP mod. Just because you retired when you did doesn't give you any more insight into anything than I, or anyone from my generation, may have. In fact, the "old dino" attitude that is so rampant on DCP of late hurts a lot more than it helps anything. I've been doing drum corps in one shape or form since 1984. If that makes me a rookie in your eyes, fine.

DCA has made an amazing amount of positive changes in the last few years, particularly with the scoring system. In a few ways they are doing a better job than DCI. But if an existing rule, particularly a long-standing rule that serves no positive purpose, is stupid...there's no reason to get angry when it's called stupid. if anything, tell me why it's *not* stupid. I understand front-boundary rules are a matter of safety...for equipment and fans as well as corps members. We don't need a Jersey Surf-like storming of the stands to end a show. I get that, and it absolutely deserves a penalty. But what happened to Frank last night (according to him...I didn't make it up for the first time in a couple of years) was nothing more than nit-picking. If anyone can make a really good argument for applying the rule in this way, I'm all ears.

• Like 2

And how ironic is it that almost 2 years ago, when Reading lost the core of their staff to C2, the talk was how this was the beginning of the end for the Reading run and perhaps he beginning of C2's dominance. Now we see Reading well on their way to a second consecutive undefeated championship season, and the Bucs old staff can't seem to field a complete program to start the season with a talented group of young marchers backed by a perennial DCI contender.

C2 is hardly "the Bucs old staff". They lost what, two folks? The Cadet way isn't what DCA is used to seeing, but I like that they aren't straying from their way of doing things. As for who has a complete show and who hasn't, the reality is that none of them do. Fusion rolled into Wildwood with about eight counts of guard work in total, and I saw only one person mention that fact. Why do they get a pass and Cadets2 gets slammed?

I applaud what Cadets2 are doing. They absolutely should stick to their guns. In a month, this entire argument will be moot anyway.

• Like 2

I thought I was the only one that felt that way. I have say that the admin staff has been the same through out this Bucs since before the 2005 run. They stay out of the way and make sure logistics is taken care of. They don't dictate show ideas or tech from the stands. They truly support the staff - fields are lined, members are fed, housing is arranged and bills are paid. There is an operating budget and it is maintained. The staff creates and teaches.

Think about it - last season wasn't the first time the Bucs have lost some major staffers - and yet the corps continues and thrives while doing so..

Off season prep as well as an administration staff that does not have any egos to get in the way. There is an atmosphere there that allows creativity and accomplishment. The process is humble, focused, educational and FUN.

One of the kids said it best on the boardwalk in WW - "If it's not worth practicing for, it's not worth being in" He was hanging with a couple of C2 kids who now march with BUCS.

IMHO - Reading will be better this year than last. This show forces them to be in the best shape of their lives and it will translate into an extremely entertaining show for the audience.

On another topic.......

Again IMO - it doesn't matter what super secret ending is planned by anyone for the end of the season - has anyone watch recordings from championships last year? Execution of a high Rep book which was fully planned during the off season is the key. Feet have to be in time 100% of the time with 100 % of the membership. Until that happens, there really is nothing to argue about with regards to who placed where or point spreads or what ever. If you approach things the same way every time - the results will be the same.

The sign of a good administration is when they know things are moving too slow and how to talk to the staff. Shows should be finished and written for what they have by now.

Staff should not be administration and administration should not be staff.

My first rant - I apologize - I too grew up in DCA and DCI.

I couldn't stop myself

I can't wait to see the rest of the season unfold.

• Like 2

Staff should not be administration and administration should not be staff.

Good comments. I'm going to add one to it:

"...and neither staff nor administrators should be marching members".

Speaking from experience, it's a real pain in the rear when you try to run a rehearsal and you are missing people because they are driving the equipment truck or doing other tasks, as important as they may be.

• Like 2

Ok, an a completely different but Bridgeport related topic...

I saw from Kyle's review that the stands were really full. Having been the last few years to that show, it's obvious that the $5 ticket thing has worked. I have no idea how the financials work in DCA regarding running a show, but I don't see how they can be making money. But man, is this show not the absolute best deal in drum corps for fans or what?

• Like 1