I might just become a drum corps fan again! almost...

Not quite sure how this design is overly different from last year's? People have been saying since 2009 that BD is creating a new art form, but when does innovation become normal year in and year out? By year 5 of this design trend, we all kind of know going into the season the kind of stuff BD will be doing. Prop of some sort, very dissonant music, neon in the guard costumes, strange prop for the guard, people claiming the show is on a different level of art. Seems like standard procedure now. I'm just waiting for BD to come out with the "Next Big Thing"

I will admit some of the jazz grooves are pretty cool under Rite of Spring.

• Like 3

Not quite sure how this design is overly different from last year's? People have been saying since 2009 that BD is creating a new art form, but when does innovation become normal year in and year out? By year 5 of this design trend, we all kind of know going into the season the kind of stuff BD will be doing. Prop of some sort, very dissonant music, neon in the guard costumes, strange prop for the guard, people claiming the show is on a different level of art. Seems like standard procedure now. I'm just waiting for BD to come out with the "Next Big Thing"

I will admit some of the jazz grooves are pretty cool under Rite of Spring.

This departure from BD's design trend has been forecasted before, Bone.....my guess is that they are having a ball and as long as they produce the results they aspire to....what is their motivation to go back to tradition? Some other place off the radar screen perhaps...but not tradition. They are one of two corps testing the edges so until more corps join them, every year's show is going to seem different and fresh among the quasi normal.

Phil Jackson: "Hey, I've got a great idea...let's use Jordan at Center!" blink.gif

• Like 2

This departure from BD's design trend has been forecasted before, Bone.....my guess is that they are having a ball and as long as they produce the results they aspire to....what is their motivation to go back to tradition? Some other place off the radar screen perhaps...but not tradition. They are one of two corps testing the edges so until more corps join them, every year's show is going to seem different and fresh among the quasi normal.

Phil Jackson: "Hey, I've got a great idea...let's use Jordan at Center!" blink.gif

I'm not saying go back to tradition, I'm talking about the next step for them. BD has always been a corps innovating with their shows. Yes, they're successful with what they're doing right now, but I kind of always expect BD to be pushing to the next big thing. Multi-key brass, modern arranging, esoteric shows, guard integration and staging. That's kind of been BD territory, I'm just wondering where they go next. I doubt they're a corps who will sit in one spot and let themselves get caught by other corps. Maybe next year we'll see them throw out something completely different to send their designs and the activity in another direction again.

• Like 1

I feel BD's close connection to Lucasfilms Productions over recent years is stimulating new concepts of design. Not sure what it can lead to, but that bunch lives off the radar screen. I wouldn't count out the use of multi-media in the future in some fashion. Talk about a Dino stampede! w00t.gif

On a different note, it's interesting to see Blueman Group alums working with the Cadets.

I feel BD's close connection to Lucasfilms Productions over recent years is stimulating new concepts of design. Not sure what it can lead to, but that bunch lives off the radar screen. I wouldn't count out the use of multi-media in the future in some fashion. Talk about a Dino stampede! w00t.gif

On a different note, it's interesting to see Blueman Group alums working with the Cadets.

I really hope that relationship doesn't give us products as bad as the recent films from LucasFilms.... I think those Star Wars Prequels are used as torture devices in some countries. :tongue:

• Like 1

I really hope that relationship doesn't give us products as bad as the recent films from LucasFilms.... I think those Star Wars Prequels are used as torture devices in some countries. :tongue:/>

Ah, but the irony is that the Star Wars prequels were essentially Lucas trying to cater to a large mainstream, particularly younger kids. I think you've brought up a perfect example of the "BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR" syndrome - for 15 years fans were practically BEGGING for more Star Wars movies. Lucas finally decided to deliver prequels, he delivered what he thought was tailor-made to the Star Wars fanatics, and the movies were not so well received. Lord help us if corps designers start doing what they think the fans want instead of what they think is great: we might get a whole lot of garbage, albeit well-intentioned garbage.

Ah, but the irony is that the Star Wars prequels were essentially Lucas trying to cater to a large mainstream, particularly younger kids. I think you've brought up a perfect example of the "BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR" syndrome - for 15 years fans were practically BEGGING for more Star Wars movies. Lucas finally decided to deliver prequels, he delivered what he thought was tailor-made to the Star Wars fanatics, and the movies were not so well received. Lord help us if corps designers start doing what they think the fans want instead of what they think is great: we might get a whole lot of garbage, albeit well-intentioned garbage.

I think you can safely say that BD is not one to empty their trash on the field.......After they hit the top 5 in the 70's, they haven't looked back.....that's a pretty impressive record of new design trends and success. Bone and I were just riffing on the possibilites and the talented folks across the bay might give BD some inspiration....that's all.

Lord help us if corps designers start doing what they think the fans want

Oh the horror.

• Like 3

I'm late to the show - DCI fixed my issue with Fan Network so I caught up on the Walnut show first.

I love the BD entry onto the field with the poles. Very effective!

They had a hole which stuck out because it was the lone one that didn't rotate in the beginning. That being said, I think this is the hardest BD show they have "ever" attempted. I didn't know where to focus - there was so much going on at the same time.

The demands on the individual performer are extreme this year and based on Walnut, they have a lot of cleaning to do.

The one criticism I have is that I wish the electronic samples were toned down. 75% of them weren't required.

Edit: I LOVE the musical passage at the end from the '95 show. Cool.

BD is down Seven people due to injuries!

True. You never know what you'll get. If you poll around here, lots of people would want a show with high-mark times and a color presentation and the guard back in skirts and riding boots, and everyone playing disco and old jazz songs. Because it was better back in the old days. Or we'll get a bunch of modern shows like we've been seeing recently. I'm just going to trust the corps designers to do their jobs. I don't like all of the shows, but there's something to like in al of them at least.

Those terrible prequels though.... so bad. And they only got worse as they went along.

• Like 1