I might just become a drum corps fan again! almost...

Any word on changes to the ending? Am I wrong to assume it will change?

I will say one thing that Crown and BD have in common for me this year is that I sort of zone out somewhere 3/4 through the show. (To be fair, with the exception of last year's show I actually often feel this way about Crown -- something always loses steam for me between the ballad and the big ending...)

To get back around to the point, if corps directors put their ideals on hold in order to try to cater to what they think the audience wants them, instead of getting incredible innovation (EMPIRE STRIKES BACK, A NEW HOPE) that works impeccably, we might instead get pretty poor story-telling that tries to pander to its intended audience (Star Wars prequels). Sure, maybe lightening can be captured in a bottle, and both could happen (I would say Cadets 2011 is arguably the perfect blend of mass-appeal + innovation), and I suspect most corps designers strive to deliver "innovation + audience friendly," even if they miss out on one or the other. I'd MUCH rather see creators try and miss, then pander& deliver mediocrity.

Well...I kind of support the other side of the fence more. To me..the scale should always tip more towards the entertainment side. I find it very hard to believe that most corps designers/staffs don't know how to generate effect (Major mass appeal) when creating their programs. If a corps is putting crowds on their feet every night...how is that a bad thing? I am not by any means suggesting that corps keep playing familiar tunes that everyone knows. I am sure the Cadets always intend to go out every season with the idea they can win...but they are one of the few corps I have seen that bounce between pushing the programs back and forth between ultra crowd friendly and programs that are written to stretch the crowds minds while going for a title.

Here is where we agree...Angels and Demons was a real good marriage between the two. :thumbup:

Now it gets a bit intense......

I'd MUCH rather see creators try and miss, then pander& deliver mediocrity.

Just curious..SCV is performing a show that just about everyone is very familiar with....are they pandering and striving for mediocrity?

Adults only section: :soapbox:

The problem IMO with drum corps programming has been the ridiculous amount of ego-stroking between corps designers, corps caption heads and the judges. If you want to jump in to conspiracy theories, who can deny (For sure) that certain points are granted for certain designers just to get their name in the lights to boost their career's?

I will admit some of the jazz grooves are pretty cool under Rite of Spring.

I really enjoy their show this year, which I don't usually...

The one thing that I have noticed about this year's show is that it becomes more synth and electronics heavy as the show goes on.

With the current style that they're in, I've noticed that they have mastered the art of sectional performance, where the pit takes the primary role and the other parts of the hornline jump in and out here and there and do other things...

This year I've noticed this happening more than usual with the electronic instruments being the focus, so maybe that's the next big thing?

Edited by jjeffeory

I find it very hard to believe that most corps designers/staffs don't know how to generate effect (major mass appeal) when creating their programs.

I'm not so sure. I think again of that George Bernard Shaw quote I mentioned previously. Shaw, the most respected English playwright since Shakespeare, was responding to criticism aimed at his contemporary, Oscar Wilde, by those who said that Wilde's comic plays pandered to the audience:

"They laugh angrily at his epigrams, like a child who is coaxed into being amused in the very act of setting up a yell of rage or agony. They protest that the trick is obvious, and that such epigrams can be turned out by the score by any one lightminded enough to condescend to such frivolity. As far as I can ascertain, I am the only person in London who cannot sit down and write an Oscar Wilde play at will".

That is to say: to be "merely" entertaining isn't so easy.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Link to discussion threads for all 2013 World Class corps