Whitewater, "As the tides turn."

There's an outlier score tonight (in Music Analysis) that should make Madison a little nervous. The spread in the one caption is actually greater than the over all spread in the scores between the two corps. Find Rosemont a judge who doesn't seem to be so repelled by the book, and the gap is a lot tighter than the score tonight indicates.

Makes for a more interesting weekend.

Edited by Slingerland
  • Like 2

They may flip flop.. but in a few days, Cavies, Scouts, Pr and BC will all be 78, 79, 80, 81.

just saying..

im not sure im interpreting that right.

you mean:

BC 81 PR 80 MS 79 CAV 78

or flip the scores?

anyway it was pretty clear cavies had a decent but dirty show early in the season. its no surprise they closed on the scouts.

otoh the scouts won guard tonight -- that caption was the cavies (only) early season strength.

madison may be able to hold off the cavies if they can keep winning guard. very interesting!

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 1

im not sure im interpreting that right.

you mean:

BC 81 PR 80 MS 79 CAV 78

or flip the scores?

anyway it was pretty clear cavies had a decent but dirty show early in the season. its no surprise they closed on the scouts.

otoh the scouts won guard tonight -- that caption was the cavies (only) early season strength.

madison may be able to hold off the cavies if they can keep winning guard. very interesting!

"Closed" is a misleading term to use. From what I recall, the spread has been +/-2 points at every meeting so far, give or take a little. It seems that it's held pretty much the same with a full panel.

Edited by BigBadMadMan
  • Like 3

"Closed" is a misleading term to use. From what I recall, the spread has been +/-2 points at every meeting so far, give or take a little. It seems that it's held pretty much the same with a full panel.

total score i think you're right -- it's been around 2pts.

but wasn't madison sweeping all the captions in the early meetings and now they're splitting captions?

anyway my earlier point stands. if madison can keep winning the guard caption they have a great chance at holding off the cavies.

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 1

So basically, it's going to end up where the two of them are matched up against each other, and Madison farts on their show and the Cavaliers pull their best of the year? It may not happen this year while they're at the same show, but the two situations I described will happen to the respective corps at least once in the coming weeks leading up to Finals. A gap of two points being a safe pad can be a dangerous proposition. I and the Blue Stars experienced it last year.

Edited by DrumcorpsmademeaTuba

Actually, I just went and checked. From the first show, you could use the phrase "closed the gap", but that was an outlier score compared to the rest.

Fairfield: Scouts +2.7

Evansville: Scouts +1.7

Muncie: Scouts +1.3

Whitewater: Scouts +1.2

Barring that first meeting spread in Fairfield, the spread has remained fairly steady, although closing by about a half point in a week and a half or so.

• Like 1

Actually, I just went and checked. From the first show, you could use the phrase "closed the gap", but that was an outlier score compared to the rest.

Fairfield: Scouts +2.7

Evansville: Scouts +1.7

Muncie: Scouts +1.3

Whitewater: Scouts +1.2

Barring that first meeting spread in Fairfield, the spread has remained fairly steady, although closing by about a half point in a week and a half or so.

I haven't seen Madison yet or anyone else and wont until San Antonio, but I hope the following comments are completely wrong. From what I'm hearing, there are those who have seen Madison (fans of Madison) that believe they still lack the difficulty/design/writing/depth of show/talent, etc., etc., to crack into the top 6. These individuals tell me that Madison is once again highly entertaining and the show is very emotional, but that's about where it ends. I know there's time, but now days the season is so short. It would seem that Cavies closing the gap and overtaking some captions is reason for concern. This is why I never put any stock in early season hype, I.E, "Homerville". I know that there was disappointment already two years ago amongst Madison's staff that they had taken too much of a conservative approach in their "road map" back to power status and had wished that they had given the members more to work with. I for one am really hoping that the 75th anniversary show has leg's enough to take the Scouts somewhere special other than 7-10!

• Like 1

I haven't seen Madison yet or anyone else and wont until San Antonio, but I hope the following comments are completely wrong. From what I'm hearing, there are those who have seen Madison (fans of Madison) that believe they still lack the difficulty/design/writing/depth of show/talent, etc., etc., to crack into the top 6. These individuals tell me that Madison is once again highly entertaining and the show is very emotional, but that's about where it ends. I know there's time, but now days the season is so short. It would seem that Cavies closing the gap and overtaking some captions is reason for concern. This is why I never put any stock in early season hype, I.E, "Homerville". I know that there was disappointment already two years ago amongst Madison's staff that they had taken too much of a conservative approach in their "road map" back to power status and had wished that they had given the members more to work with. I for one am really hoping that the 75th anniversary show has leg's enough to take the Scouts somewhere special other than 7-10!

Not for nothing, but I thought that the whole "Madison" thing was "F the scores, as long as the crowd is entertained!!!!" Wasn't that the "Stewart Way"

Seriously, I LOVE Madison's show this year. They are going to make Finals. They are going to entertain the hell out of crowds all year long. Most importantly, the men are going to have an amazing summer. Why do any scores matter, if all of the above happens?

• Like 2

Not for nothing, but I thought that the whole "Madison" thing was "F the scores, as long as the crowd is entertained!!!!" Wasn't that the "Stewart Way"

Seriously, I LOVE Madison's show this year. They are going to make Finals. They are going to entertain the hell out of crowds all year long. Most importantly, the men are going to have an amazing summer. Why do any scores matter, if all of the above happens?

Order of performance, corps compensation per show, higher placement = better audition turnout...all determined by scores.

As a marching member, the scores don't matter. Your goal is to be your personal best every time you perform. I never performed for a judge, I performed for the crowd...so, to me; scores didn't matter. But to think they don't affect the overall health and perception of an organization would be to ignore the 3 reasons (if not more) that I stated.

Edited by BigBadMadMan
  • Like 2

Simple, the scores matter because it's a judged activity...In case you hadn't noticed, it's not an exhibition, it's a "competition". But to your point, yes, Madison's M.O. first and foremost is entertainment, and that's a wonderful thing. I can guarantee you though; you will not hear Chris Komnick or any of Madison's staff chime in with the course of "F" the scores. Nor would you have heard that philosophy espoused by our staff in 1975 when I marched in Madison's championship corps or in the years that followed up to my age out. As a matter of fact, I think you would find that with today's Scout leadership you'd hear that it's not an either or proposition. I believe you would be told that they strongly feel you can have both no-holds-barred entertainment along with success in the scoring ledger at the same time...At least that's the long term goal that's been laid out. Now, if you disagree with the winning thing all together or that one shouldn't have goals in the activity, then it's time to simply pull out the applause meter.