Crown's 2013 show "E=mc2"

Errmm... I guess it is. I guess I'm losing my sense of what would be popular. I can't imagine that the dislike for minimalist style is any more than a dislike for any other style being performed. There show just seems really contemporary and relatable to the average corps fan to me.

Me too. But some people hate the whole narration thing. Living in the past works for some folks

The only thing that confuses me is the part when he says, "TWO LOVERS SAT ON A PARK BENCH, WITH THEIR BODIES TOUCHING EACH OTHER, HOLDING HANDS IN THE MOONLIGHT..."

Ok I'm a big proponent of visual complementing the music, or in this case, narration. They weren't holding hands. She's riding him like a horse changing a lightbulb with her hands up in the air. WHAT'S UP WITH THIS? :tongue:

Me too. But some people hate the whole narration thing. Living in the past works for some folks

Can we just dislike narration because we don't like it? I mean, I've seen this sort of thing being done for like EVER, and I mostly don't like it for personal reasons.

Marching bands have been narrating for at least 25 years. They've been doing it since before I was in high school, so I don't think it's universally living in the past for many as you imply, it is an aesthetic that many just don't care for...

I think Crown is doing a good job with the EotB voice parts; I'd like to hear it without them and make my opinion about which way I prefer it, but I'm not going to get all upset about it. I know other people probably will, but I do not believe that they're living in the past, I just believe that they don't care for it. Maybe they just want to hear the hornline and the drums? Who knows...

Edited by jjeffeory
  • Like 2

Can we just dislike narration because we don't like it?

No, not from what I have seen here. If your preference for A can be equated to intolerance for B, you are toast. Intolerance is a capital crime in contemporary society. You will be branded as a dinosaur due to your intolerance for amplified voice in drum corps.

I think Crown is doing a good job with the EotB voice parts; I'd like to hear it without them and make my opinion about which way I prefer it, but I'm not going to get all upset about it. I know other people probably will, but I do not believe that they're living in the past, I just believe that they don't care for it. Maybe they just want to hear the hornline and the drums? Who knows...

You and I are of like mind. I also prefer my drum corps without A&E. I hear the harmonics and rhythms, and recognize that Crown is using amplified voice with greater skill, expertise and musicality than any of their predecessors. I still wish for a little less of it (maybe less vocal repetition early on), but the show may well become my favorite of the year despite the voice, on account of the many incredible brass effects they create.

• Like 1

Then, you are not fully aware of the existing fan base and the inability to add to it from outside "the niche".

I guess not, because I do not agree that there is an "inability" to add new fans.

The sad and simple truth is that the activity is shrinking upon itself and any notion that does not consider reaching new fans, performers, and even corporate sponsors from outside of this very small niche, although seemingly logical in the short term, only adds to the shrinkage.

I am certainly in favor of reaching out to new fans, and (equally important) retaining existing fans.

Can we just dislike narration because we don't like it? I mean, I've seen this sort of thing being done for like EVER, and I mostly don't like it for personal reason.

Marching bands have being narrating for at least 25 years. They've been doing it since before I was in high school, so I don't think it's universally living in the past for many as you imply, it is an aesthetic that many just don't care for...

This is a very early season recording, but there are no ballad vocals here:

I personally like it with the narration. Adds another level of GE to it.

Oh wait, the singing? It was ok in the past when corps would stop after a big hit and sing their corps song but it is completely unacceptable to sing now? You go on hating my corps yet I look at your avatar and think about the cool shows that Freelancers performed over the years past and wish they were still around too.

Are you really a fan of this activity or just a fan of whatever you feel like needs to be on the field?

Dude, take it easy. He's entitled to dislike the production for whatever reason. :shutup:

I'm generally a fan of Crown's shows every single year, but if I weren't familiar with (and a huge fanboy of) EotB I would probably have a lot of trouble with this show myself.

This is a very early season recording, but there are no ballad vocals here:

I personally like it with the narration. Adds another level of GE to it.

When I've heard Crown performances without the electronics, there are big gaps in the sound and/or musical development where the narration and sampled counting belongs. Just cutting out the amplified voice and samples wouldn't be enough--the show would sound incomplete without them.

• Like 2

Can we just dislike narration because we don't like it? I mean, I've seen this sort of thing being done for like EVER, and I mostly don't like it for personal reason.

Marching bands have being narrating for at least 25 years. They've been doing it since before I was in high school, so I don't think it's universally living in the past for many as you imply, it is an aesthetic that many just don't care for...

I think Crown is doing a good job with the EotB voice parts

This mirrors my sentiments exactly.

I also prefer my drum corps without A&E. I hear the harmonics and rhythms, and recognize that Crown is using amplified voice with greater skill, expertise and musicality than any of their predecessors. I still wish for a little less of it (maybe less vocal repetition early on), but the show may well become my favorite of the year despite the voice, on account of the many incredible brass effects they create.

Yeah, I think it comes down to what makes the activity unique. A&E may make perfect sense from a show design standpoint, but it can cover up what makes the activity unique; the glorious sound of brass and drums transmitted directly from source to ear. You can't get that at home, as they say. To the extent that A&E (narration, for example) serves to punch up the show, fine. It can really add something special. But when it covers up the unique drum corps elements for long periods, I would say it hurts, and it should hurt in the GE judging.

If you're reading reviews of steakhouses, and the reviewer gives the top award to the one with the best food overall, even though their steak was marginal, then that was a bad methodology. You want the best steak. Similarly, we want to know the best drum and bugle corps show, not the best show per se. Does that make sense?