Crown's 2013 show "E=mc2"

Honestly?

I think Crown puts shows out there that don't have a specific theme. That don't have an exact story line. They want the fan to be able to put their own spin on what they think the show means.

I mean we've had quite a few different explanations of the show theme just in this thread.. and all of them relate to Crown's show perfectly fine. Who knows what they originally had in mind. I have something in mind that makes sense to me. It's okay to think about a drum corps. Make up your own theme or story with what is given to you. Crown wants to engage our brains, while blowing our ear drums out with awesome drum corps.

Every time I watch this show I am amazed. I seriously cannot stop watching it. Anytime I have my computer open, I have to watch it. I absolutely love the show. It has the brass, guard, percussion, crazy drill, everything I love about drum corps. Then it leaves me with something to think about too! That's half the problem with humanity.. we don't think anymore, we expect all information to be given to us rather than thinking critically and arriving at our own logical conclusion.

• Like 3

I do want my friends to have a good experience at their first corps show. I am concerned that if I tell them they have to do homework first, that they may tell me they're no longer interested in going. They're already "giving up", as it were, an entire evening (Massillon is an hour's drive from here) to attend solely on my recommendation. Suggestions? I could play, as jasgre2000 did, some Einstein on the car stereo as we drive down, although it doesn't sound like that necessarily helped.

I definitely wouldn't play Einstein on the way down or tell them anything that you know about the theme and design of the shows. Just stick to describing drum corps in general--that it's mostly just a brass and percussion marching band with flags and rifle tossing, but there's some voice and synths in the mix these days.

I think it'll be most interesting just to see how they react to the show. My prediction: some will like Crown, some won't. All will find something to love in the performances they see. After the performance you can tell them that the counting and the narration was all from a very weird Philip Glass opera that a lot of people hate and some like.

That's how I'd handle it, personally. My experience is that people who enjoy music and being outdoors on summer evenings enjoy drum corps shows and immediately have opinions about what they like and don't like. I generally go overboard with pre-explanations and end up coloring their opinions, so IMO it's best to leave out what you think and let them enjoy it for what it is.

I think Crown's theme is the same as it is every year: here's some awesome music we'd like to play for you while we do other awesome things with our bodies AT THE SAME TIME! thumbup.gifthumbup.gifthumbup.gif

At the November camp, they actually told people to take videos of them doing anything while playing and send them to the staff to check out. The one that particularly interested them, was if anyone could play while on a trampoline.:laughing:/>

Edited by Pat61

Is the audience going to do that? The show's not even named Einstein on the Beach, so they wouldn't even know.

I think the show kind of stands well on its own, just viewing the show w/no further digging. One should be able to get the E=mc2 relativity thing with easily with what's on the field, and if one is not really a mathematical-type person (like me), they can say, "Oh: it's some math thing. Gotcha."

But, why wouldn't an audience want to look something up? If I encounter something I'm even partially interested in (especially if I feel like "I don't get it"), then I'm going to do the research and not sit back and wait for someone to spoon-feed me concepts. I don't think designers should necessarily be timid to hope fans do a little bit of research into their concepts, and as an audience member I think it's OK to expect to do a quick google search

• Like 1

I haven't seen Crown live yet, but I've seen plenty of show videos, and I'm still not getting the concept of E=mc2.

They play loud, they play good, and they march really well. And to be perfectly frank, the female guard members are easy on the eyes.

What else is there you don't understand that I might be able to 'splain to you? cool.gif

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 2

They play loud, they play good, and they march really well. And to be perfectly frank, the female guard members are easy on the eyes.

What else is there you don't understand that I might be able to 'splain to you? cool.gif

I think that's all for now, but I'll let you know if I think of anything else. :)

Every time I watch this show I am amazed. I seriously cannot stop watching it. Anytime I have my computer open, I have to watch it. I absolutely love the show. It has the brass, guard, percussion, crazy drill, everything I love about drum corps. Then it leaves me with something to think about too! That's half the problem with humanity.. we don't think anymore, we expect all information to be given to us rather than thinking critically and arriving at our own logical conclusion.

YES! I LOVE thinking about stuff, especially art, or entertainment masking as art. Even if I don't love a show, I'll do a little bit of 'homework' just to see if a) maybe I'm missing something or b) maybe a corps is trying to BS their way into intellectualism. :tongue:

Either way, I'd MUCH rather sit through a hundred Crown or BD shows, than sit through 5 intellectually vapid shows like Jersey Surf :ph34r:

• Like 1

I think you mean you want him to press "his lips warmly to hers in fervent osculation".

True... that would be a much better fit for an overwritten show-theme libretto. :tongue:

This has really nothing to do with whatever theme for whatever show... over the years I've enjoyed shows when I "get" themes, but also enjoyed shows when I don't quite understand a theme.

But I shake my head sometimes at the overblown, way too pretentious program-book writeups that attempt to explain such themes.