Crown's 2013 show "E=mc2"

But when you literally add narration to a show, it isn't so far-fetched for people to try to figure out the overall narrative...

I mean, listen, if you want a generic theme that no one is going to try to analyze in any way, do what PR did -- "Triumphant Journey." No digging deep there.

"E=mc^2" is much, much more specific. It doesn't bother me that it doesn't seem to add up to much at this point in the season, but come finals, I'm going to start to wonder. I won't enjoy the show any less, but I will wonder if it failed at conveying something it was trying to convey.

Yeah, that's a fair point. I guess if you are going to come out and actually say words in the English language, people are going to be confused when none of it that's being said makes any sense. After re-watching the show tonight I'm even more confused by the ballad stuff. It's like the designers suddenly decided 7 minutes into the show that not only are there "characters" in this show, but there's a love story. And then it immediately disappears for the rest of the show.

• Like 3

But when you literally add narration to a show, it isn't so far-fetched for people to try to figure out the overall narrative...

I mean, listen, if you want a generic theme that no one is going to try to analyze in any way, do what PR did -- "Triumphant Journey." No digging deep there.

"E=mc^2" is much, much more specific. It doesn't bother me that it doesn't seem to add up to much at this point in the season, but come finals, I'm going to start to wonder. I won't enjoy the show any less, but I will wonder if it failed at conveying something it was trying to convey.

Crown's show tracks EOTB pretty well. So in that sense it's very true to the source.

OTOH EOTB kind of means what you want it to mean and it was written with that intent by the composer and choreographer.

So it means what you want but it's true to the theme which means what you want which is true to the theme....

and.... Oh my god ... it's full of stars!

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 1

Now for something completely different!!!

When I first saw the title of the show was E=MC^2 I recognized it as Einstein's theory of relativity. My first thought was that C squared, which is C x C, could stand for Carolina Crown. That would seen logical since they are the ones doing this show.

So if C^2 stands for Carolina Crown then what would "E" and "M' stand for?

How about "E" stands for Entertainment and "M" stands for Music.

So if we plug in these words for the letters of the equation we get:

Entertainment equals Music times Carolina Crown.

Now this may not have even been something that the design staff thought of when they chose the show's title, but I'm hoping that if I want to be Entertained, then the Music played by Carolina Crown will be the formula that I am looking for!!!

• Like 6

When I first saw the title of the show was E=MC^2 I recognized it as Einstein's theory of relativity. My first thought was that C squared, which is C x C, could stand for Carolina Crown. That would seen logical since they are the ones doing this show.

Now this may not have even been something that the design staff thought of when they chose the show's title, but I'm hoping that if I want to be Entertained, then the Music played by Carolina Crown will be the formula that I am looking for!!!

genius.... worthy.gifworthy.gifworthy.gifworthy.gifworthy.gifworthy.gifworthy.gifworthy.gifworthy.gifworthy.gifworthy.gifworthy.gifworthy.gif

post of the year

I was trying to make up stuff like this, too, trying to make a connection.

Energy -- boy is this show energetic! And, as living beings, they're converting food to energy. Check.

Mass -- well, ok, they exist and have mass. Fine. Maybe some of them are Catholic, too.

Speed of light squared -- some of their runs go really fast. So does the counting. Maybe their love does, too.

Hmmm...so the energy of this show comes from the fact that the members have mass (maybe Mass, too) and do fast horn runs.

BUT WAIT -- members tend to lose mass during the season, so to avoid the energy of the show going down, they'll just have to do those runs faster!

There. Done.

• Like 1

I don't necessarily care if there's something to get or if that something is clearly portrayed in the show per se. BD had my favorite show last year and I did nothing to further understand dada than skim Plan9's posts on here. Their show, for whatever reason, brought me in and engaged me. That, above anything else, is what I want from a drum corps show.

I'm not sure Crown is doing that for me just yet. There are some wow moments in their show, but they're just that. Moments. Of course, I haven't seen it live yet, and like a lot of other contentious shows out this year, one apparently needs to see it live in order to appreciate it for some reason.

So hopefully at semi-finals, they'll be engaging me.

Crown's show tracks EOTB pretty well. So in that sense it's very true to the source.

OTOH EOTB kind of means what you want it to mean and it was written with that intent by the composer and choreographer.

So it means what you want but it's true to the theme which means what you want which is true to the theme....

and.... Oh my god ... it's full of stars!

"All these worlds are yours, except Europa. Attempt no landing there. Use them together. Use them in peace." rolleyes.gif

• Like 2

I " want " the guy to kiss the inquisitive girl about their relationship on the park bench, and I want Einstein on the Beach to enjoy a good book at the shoreline.

I'm sure you mean well and I'm not trying to be negative - but man, there is something wrong if I have to go do research to watch a drum corps show.

As far as I'm concerned, if a corps can not explain what their show is about in 3-4 sentences then forget it. You don't have art, all you have is a jumble of musical gymnastics searching for a theme.

Art has to be explainable in 3 or 4 sentences? LOL ... what? You don't have to do anything but sit on your butt to watch a drum corps show. If you want a richer experience while watchng it, however, digging a little deeper into the source material and the composer often makes things better. This is typically true of most art.

Edited by jasgre2000
  • Like 5