Minneapolis Weather - Saturday

Maybe a jaunt over to Camp Randall?

Or just call it DCI Midwest, move it to Whitewater, sell 9,000-10,000 seats, make a couple hundred thousand more in net than they do in Minneapolis (which makes a fraction of the net from both Atlanta or San Antonio), and be done with it.

Edited by Slingerland
  • Like 3

As drilltech said, it has absolutely terrible acoustics. Also a lot of the time in the summer it is set up for baseball.

It will be interesting to see what happens to this regional over the next few years. With the metrodome being demolished and TCF being torn apart to add heating coils and new turf for the Vikings, I wonder where it will go if it has to move. There are no other large event stadiums in Minnesota that could host it. Maybe a jaunt over to Camp Randall?

Brass Member and Northern Thunder,

I personally know that the DCI front office was informed of this the very same day that TCF, the NFL, and the Vikings reached an agreement. I am certain that Dan Acheson and the local MN committee are already well planning for 2014 site possibilities with plans A-Z. :-)

Not to be too particular, but that was 2 years ago.

It's been a few times. Last year was when the wind got really bad, and even delayed the theatre broadcast. 2011 was the year of the big rain storm, because that was when the stage collapsed at the State Fair. The show continued right on as planned though luckily, even through the weather.

It's three years old, it was rained out in 2010, and delayed last year because of weather. San Antonio, Atlanta, and Indy haven't been rained out yet.... so pretty sure the domed stadiums are better for regionals. And yes, I know that part of Atlanta flooded in 2006 because of rain, but I don't believe it cancelled or affected the show.

Going out on a limb. 2010 had about 1/2 the show in. Minnesota Brass performed around 2pm that day. Then there was rain and tornado's that forced many people into the rest rooms for safety and around 10pm the rest of the show was cancelled.

Not sure I agree, I mean, if that is the case why hasn't the show been at the Metrodome the last several years?

the echo and accoustics are horrendous. Listen to any tape of the Minnesota Youth on the March State Band championships.

Besides where would Madison and Phantom practice for Atlanta while the MN Regionals are still going on (they were sneaky, didn't think we knew about that, heh? Gotta get up pretty early in the wee morning to sneak that one by ole DT1.)

Actually, given the roof tears, the snow cave-ins, and the announced future destruction of the M'Dome, isn't a contest there already like having a contest outdoors???

:ph34r:

Nice observation there DT-1..The humpty-dome has NOOOOO business conducting a drum corps show before it's demise this fall. I played there with MBI back in 1982 right after they opened, and standing out behind 2nd base - I couldn't hear the rest of my section from side to side at a 3 step interval. The sound went straight up.

The NEW Vi-Queens stadium MIGHT BE a viable alternative, providing the folks can install the appropriate acoustic refinements - maybe opening the glass doors on the side(s) would help..for those of you fans concerned with weather..C'mon people! You folks are starting to sound like "fair weather" (no pun itended) fans. I'd like to see a regional at "the Bank" when Mother Nature can be a little bit more reserved, and no other major event is clogging up 'the Cities' (aka Mpls Aquatennial). Until then, lighten up..Anyone who remembers DeKalb and DCM will remember it was hit and miss at NIU on a number of occasions..from the downpours to the unbearable heat and humidity during Prelims AND Finals...

Still - "The bank" is a GREAT venue, and as some of the construction around "The U" is finished, it will become a go-to facility that will draw bigger crowds especially as the light rail comes through campus, and as more hotels and restaurants spring up along that corridor..The ONLY real dilemma is PARKING on site..That should improve as the land around there is developed..

Of course - we COULD go back to the "new" Parade stadium over by Target Field..Oops! No seating...If anyone saw that video on facebook from '85 - that used to be an excellent field...held 8000 on each side of the field and the backdrop was the downtown skyline..died a horrible death..but they now have a multi-use Field Turf surface, just need the seats..

Don't give up on Minne yet..

Pat

It's been a few times. Last year was when the wind got really bad, and even delayed the theatre broadcast. 2011 was the year of the big rain storm, because that was when the stage collapsed at the State Fair. The show continued right on as planned though luckily, even through the weather.

Are you confusing this regional with DCI finals week in 2011 when rains at LOS delayed the corps warming up out in the lot and the INDIANA State Fairgrounds in North Indy had it's stage collapse while the Demons and Angels were fighting in LOS for the Cadets?

Edited by drilltech1

I'm pretty certain the only delays at DCI Minnesota happened in 2010.

Theater broadcast, maybe. I was there finals night because I drove Boston home and there was no rain or any weather issues.

Udated my OP with today's info. left yesterdays at the bottom. FYI...

updated OP. Trends looking up