Iconic music in DCI history

I wouldn't know "iconic" if it came up and bit me on the tucchus.

That said, I've had "Rocky Point Holiday" in my head for 30 freakin years now, and I'm still not tired of it.

Now if you'll pardon me, I'll slink back into my funk, having learned this morning that I'm older than the Slurpee. :cry:

Colts Summertime

BD Free (I got to play this "legit" as part of the '07 BD/SCV Alumni Ensemble, what a blast)

Spirit Georgia and Let it Be Me

Freelancers You Are the Sunshine of My Life

2-7 CROWN IMPERIAL

Guardsmen Greensleeves

For me Freelancers would always be "You're Still a Young Man/ What is Hip" by TOP.

Most of the corps have corps songs, so if it's just one piece, it's their corps song....

How many people would choose "You'll Never Walk Alone" over "Slaughter" or "Malaguena" ???

Probably few besides ex-Scouts.

• Like 1

Let me poop in the pool one more time here:

Of all the iconic tunes named in the earlier posts, which is the single piece you would choose with a gun to your head for the best DC piece ever... (just one)

No fun if you don't make the decision.

• Like 1

If it's just one piece... No question for me, Fire of Eternal Glory (Regiment 93).

2 honorable mentions: Music of the Night (SCV 88/89), Elsa's Procession to the Cathedral (Regiment 79/2011)

Harvey

Of all the iconic tunes named in the earlier posts, which is the single piece you would choose with a gun to your head for the best DC piece ever... (just one)

I'm very glad to see the discussion has come to this point if not a little frustrated because I am personally TERRIBLE at picking favorites. After a far longer time thinking than I would like to admit here, I came to a decision that my personal favorite that always comes to mind when I think DCI now, is in Phantom's 03 closer when they go back to Canon again. But that doesn't answer your question.

Gun to my head, beast DCI piece ever... man I have to go with Music of the Night 89 SCV.

With that out of the way, what would yours be?

It ain't poop, it's a Baby Ruth bar.

'81 2-7s Crown Imperial....it doesn't just peg the "bchinity" Vu meters, it blows them out of the console; DCI needs to track down the 4 marching tympani players from that year and put them into the Hall of Fame. Certain openers make a mind-boggling definitive statement about what the corps is about and their attitude, and IMO '81 2-7 is tops with '87 SCV not far behind.

For those 32 year olds out there reading this that might have unexplained scars, it could be because you were thrown at 2-7 in Montreal by your parents and never told about it.

you-->:babies:<-- your parents

Edited by TRacer

Following rayfallon 's guidelines

27 - Danny Boy

BAC - Conquest

Cadets - Mass (sorry Rocky Point)

Crown - Bohemian Rhapsody (even with Madison back in 79?)

Cavaliers - Hmmm... Gavorkna

Colts - Summertime

Scouts - Tough pick.... You'll Never Walk Alone

Phantom - Still have to go with 1812

SCV - Fiddler

Troop - Battle Hymn

Then best ever: Simple Song from 83 Cadets.

Edited by MelloMatt

I've had "Rocky Point Holiday" in my head for 30 freakin years now, and I'm still not tired of it.

Yep. This one arrangement did more to redefine DCI than any other. An icon not only to Cadets, but to the whole enterprise.

One I haven't seen mentioned: Sky Ryders / "Somewhere Over the Rainbow"

Phantom: I think you have to say "Spartacus" because PR helped reshape the whole idea of a drum-corps program with it in '81, then won a championship with it in '08.

SCV: For me, "YPGtDC" contains the highest concentration of Vanguard DNA. Equal parts majesty and subtlety.

For some corps, I have difficulty picking out the most quintessential music. Cavies, for instance. Is it the swashbuckling Cavies ("Softly")? The classical Cavies (Planets)? The Saucedo Cavies ("Frameworks")?

Same problem with BD. To me, "One More Time, Chuck Corea" will be the iconic sound of Devils. Their '82 performance was pure anger on the field. I've never heard any corps play anything with such urgency and musicality at the same time. It was bloodthirsty, yet cool. That's BD. Or, at least, it was. These days, I can't point to any piece of music that defines them. If there's anything "iconic" about BD these days, it's their aloofness. They ought to print T-shirts that say "Blue Devlis: We Dare You" and be done with it.

Edited by 2muchcoffeeman