"wow, they're back"

I love Troopers 79 show. The reason I used the word "controversial" is not so much a reference to the Troopers as much as the backstory. Crossmen were penalized and that put them in 13th. The penalties caused the controversy. My guess is a Crossmen alim can fill in the specifics.

I seem to remember that Cavies, Troopers, and Crossmen all had the same score BEFRORE penalties! Back in the day it was a lot easier to be penalized and it was pretty routine.

1374009043[/url]' post='3287510']

I seem to remember that Cavies, Troopers, and Crossmen all had the same score BEFRORE penalties! Back in the day it was a lot easier to be penalized and it was pretty routine.

All in what the timing and penalty judge saw. I marched in a CYO band back in the day and on a very hot, humid day my clarinet slipped out of my hand. The audience went Ooo..., I was told by instructors it was not my fault, and when scores were announced, the only group without a penalty? St. Joseph , Medway. This probably happened in 1977 or 78.

Glassmen 2014?

Driving home to Cleveland from a conference in Michigan yesterday afternoon, I opted to take a scenic route rather than the turnpike. Imagine my surprise when I passed a school in the middle of farm country, 25 miles outside of Toledo, with a sign in front announcing it as the Glassmen's rehearsal site. I pulled into the drive and around to the parking lot in back for a minute. Sad to see their trailers parked there in the middle of the season.

Blue Stars of '08, and hopefully this year too! thumbup.gif

Heh, but I can really only imagine how it was just when things jumped back to Division I, and then to 14th in the first two years, much less that sizable vault into 8th with Le Tour.

I love "Le Tour"!

And if they were doing a show like that, I'd love to see them succeed again. But their 2013 show (at the moment, anyway: just listened to the Minneapolis performance; and I did see them live at Bowling Green) is so dominated by synthesizer. Probably no member is featured more than the one behind the keyboard.

I love "Le Tour"!

And if they were doing a show like that, I'd love to see them succeed again. But their 2013 show (at the moment, anyway: just listened to the Minneapolis performance; and I did see them live at Bowling Green) is so dominated by synthesizer. Probably no member is featured more than the one behind the keyboard.

I'd really agree there's an abundance of sound effects in the opening four minutes, but things mostly fall off to me after that point. I think save for transitions, they just don't appear again. I'll have to give it another listen.

Troopers, back in the day! 1978 20th place (and really did not deserve it!) To 1979 12th place!

They came out of nowhere in 79. A completely amazing morning prelim performance if I remember it right. One of my favorite Trooper memories.

On the other side if that. I remember being crushed when the Guardsmen knocked Casper out in 76 with another amazing, out of nowhere, walk on water performance in prelims.

Guardsmen

1975-31st

1976-12th

"wow, they're back" (comebacks from one year to the next)

Blue Devils 1993-1994 (4th place -> 1st place). New uniforms, guard more modern, less "FLAIR and FAUX-BRUSHES", more design and power.

Can a corps who scored a 95.1 be said to be have gone somewhere to come "back" from?

There are 14 DCI World Class corps (of 22) on the field this year who have never scored that high.

Spirit of Atlanta - 23rd in 1977, 6th in 1978. Not a "Wow, they're back." More like a "WOW! They're here!"

VK - Inactive in 1980, 33rd in 1981, 21st in 1982, 17th in 1983, 12th in 1984. What a ride!

Garry in Vegas

Edited by CrunchyTenor

"wow, they're back" (comebacks from one year to the next)

Can a corps who scored a 95.1 be said to be have gone somewhere to come "back" from?

There are 14 DCI World Class corps (of 22) on the field this year who have never scored that high.

But if you notice my original post, I'm not solely talking about placement. But everything about the corps.

The change from 93 to 94 for BD was among the most stark changes in design I've seen (and that trend has kept up).

I love "Le Tour"!

Not sure when they hired Frank Sullivan as brass arranger, but he gave them such a unique sound that result in that 08 shows (as well as 09-12). And the drill designer from 08-11 was also superb. The hiring of those guys really turned that corps around. 2010 (the Houdini show) was brilliant (and to your other point, it was also synth heavy, but I it was necessary).