Just thinking at work about some of those WCU DCI performances. Freelancers did Chicago's "Introduction" as part of their program one of those years, and it was a daggone fine Frank Dorritie arrangement IIRC.

Got my mind off of work, THANK GOD. :thumbup:

Might be good ... I read on The Cadets site that Hop may try to "hop" in line with Reilly (it's mentioned in their daily schedule) ... you hear anything?

From their site:

West Chester, PA

WhenWednesday, Jul 31, 2013

8:00 am – Breakfast

9:00 am – The Day

9:15 am – Stretch and Run

9:45 am – Visual Block

11:45 am – Percussion lunch

12:15 pm – Lunch for corps and percussion field

1:00 pm - Sectionals

1:45 pm – Brass Stadium

2:45 pm – Set up

3:00 pm – Ensemble

4:15 pm – Eat and Pack

6:00 pm – To the show

7:15 pm – Arrive

9:10 pm – Gate

9:27 pm – Perform

9:45 pm – Hop try to play with Reilly Raiders

10:00 pm – Dinner and Pack up

11:15 pm – to Lawrence, MA

:-)

George played in those great 70s Crossmen snare lines with folks like Thom Hannum, Dale Adair, oh man the names I can't get at...

Billy Kaufman and Eric Landis steered those lines, and in a way were responsible for bringing George to Garfield in the early 80s.

Billy is still putting together the percussion thing at Reilly. Amazing guy. I used to be younger than him, but no more. Now he's about 10 years younger than I.

He must have a mirror in the attic at home that don't look good.

Well, Reilly is "Local", that might help. A lot of the crowd IIRC will be the kids and Directors from the WCU Summer Music camp. I did two of those in college, one as an attendee and one as a counselor to get to go to the Director's clinics for free and get some pocket money.

Actually, the WCU DM Academy is this week. Next week it is at UMass. The band director of the band I work with is teaching at WCU this week. It has not been aligned with the drum corps show for the past couple of years. I know the years my daughter went, first as bass drum section leader and then 2 years as DM, they were aligned with each other.

It still comes close to selling out, at least it did last year.

Ahh, right on. That will certainly be interesting.

Yep, we grandparents will be in West Chester.... w00t.gif

That should be quite interesting.

There quite a few notables in our activity that are planning on being a part of this.... thumbup.gif

I hope it goes well for you guys.

Thanks...

Like I said, I'm a fan of all drum corps. But hey, there's a reason why shows like Serenade in Brass died

Wouldn't surprise me to learn that very few in West Chester next Wednesday have ever heard of the Reilly Raiders. (kids on the field in competition or the folks in the stands)

I doubt Reilly is expecting this type of exhibition to be repeated but one never knows what the future holds.... worthy.gif

(My last year on the field was before all of the kids on the field competing were born.... heck, probably before a few in the stands were born. LOL shutup.gif)

True. The loss of many of the competitive organizations that used to do their season previews at Serenade really made a difference then. Westshore, Blue Coats, Crossmen, Cabs, Bucs, I have to be forgetting some more that appeared at least once. Also, USMC, USAFA and USNA appearances rocked as well. Heck, the Alumni corps were almost a novelty at my first one in 1979.

Looks like sequestrations killed most of those appearances of the military corps for this year. Unfortunate.

Gotta save some money for vacations... devil.gif

Might be good ... I read on The Cadets site that Hop may try to "hop" in line with Reilly (it's mentioned in their daily schedule) ... you hear anything?

Yep.... As well as quite a few other Crossmen Alumni will be joining Reilly for their special finally. Brass and Percussion notables from several eras will join in the last number...

From their site:

West Chester, PA

WhenWednesday, Jul 31, 2013

8:00 am – Breakfast

9:00 am – The Day

9:15 am – Stretch and Run

9:45 am – Visual Block

11:45 am – Percussion lunch

12:15 pm – Lunch for corps and percussion field

1:00 pm - Sectionals

1:45 pm – Brass Stadium

2:45 pm – Set up

3:00 pm – Ensemble

4:15 pm – Eat and Pack

6:00 pm – To the show

7:15 pm – Arrive

9:10 pm – Gate

9:27 pm – Perform

9:45 pm – Hop try to play with Reilly Raiders

10:00 pm – Dinner and Pack up

11:15 pm – to Lawrence, MA

:-)

Well, Reilly is "Local", that might help. A lot of the crowd IIRC will be the kids and Directors from the WCU Summer Music camp. I did two of those in college, one as an attendee and one as a counselor to get to go to the Director's clinics for free and get some pocket money. Learning from Pete Emmons, Zingali, Mel Stratton, was a great experience. The show was also pretty good BITD. Saw Dagenham when they came to the US, VK in their prime, Freelancers, and the list of normal DCI culprits. Hopefully the kids will respond and enjoy it. In some ways a tougher crowd than Reilly is used to but they're up to it.

Ironically, IIRC, at least some of the better known Reilly members came up through Junior organizations like the Osmond Cadets BITD.

Hopefully, they'll have fun and so will the crowd. That's what doing the Alumni gig is all about. satisfied.gif

Several current Reilly members are also Alumni of the Crossmen. Late 70's through late 90's.... (As well as a LOT of other Jr Corps from BITD)