Traditions

Looking to see what all exists out there in terms of corps traditions. Not so much on the field stuff as pre-show. For instance, every corps seems to gather and sing the corps song. Are there other traditions like that out there? Are they limited to pre-show or do they exist during rehearsals? Are there traditions done by section (e.g., only walk in formation between blocks)? Just curious about some of the behind the scenes things that make each corps a unique experience and allow for alumni to participate with current members.

Since the beginning of Spirit the snare line takes the center of the gym with sleeping bags set up in a circle, the tenor line takes the free throw line. Drum line is always the last bus...and this is not so much the case anymore but we always had the reputation for being the last buses to leave a show.

There are plenty of traditions, even if they're not immediately apparent. Maybe I'm overthinking it, but it seems like a lot of these are somewhat guarded by the members/alumni, especially as far as the ones that alumni could participate in. I would ask your corps, rather than DCP.

• Like 3

BAC had "The Tree Ceremony" for years and years - may still have something like that.

And when pre-season was confined to a parking lot in Southie (where there were occasionally cars parked on the field) each member would take a pebble from that awful parking lot as they got on the bus to head out on tour, just so they'd never forget where they came from.

One of the many things I love about the BAC culture... may they never forget where they came from.

Edited by rayfallon
  • Like 5

There are plenty of traditions, even if they're not immediately apparent. Maybe I'm overthinking it, but it seems like a lot of these are somewhat guarded by the members/alumni, especially as far as the ones that alumni could participate in. I would ask your corps, rather than DCP.

Interesting and I hadn't thought about it from that standpoint (i.e., that it would be something considered private/secret). Don't march myself (much too old) so no one to really ask, unfortunately, other than DCP

Yep!

Yes, but as max.miegel so eloquently stated it, many of those traditions are interior to organizations and not often shared publicly. Sometimes they are revealed in truly special ways to new members. I know Troopers has such traditions. One of the more public ones is receiving their cross sabers for their age out year. There are more, I just don't know how much the current members would like them shared here. I can tell you that since re-emerging from non-competition in 2006, the members, the staff and the administration has been a strong force for maintaining traditions that bind this corps together as a unit, as well as connect the members to those who came before and to those who will come after.

Yes, but as max.miegel so eloquently stated it, many of those traditions are interior to organizations and not often shared publicly. Sometimes they are revealed in truly special ways to new members. I know Troopers has such traditions. One of the more public ones is receiving their cross sabers for their age out year. There are more, I just don't know how much the current members would like them shared here. I can tell you that since re-emerging from non-competition in 2006, the members, the staff and the administration has been a strong force for maintaining traditions that bind this corps together as a unit, as well as connect the members to those who came before and to those who will come after.

Terri, I remember the crossed sabers to the age-outs and really regret that I never received mine. It was a mistake I will always remember. :huh2: