Cadets' Guard

Disclosure: I know little about that caption (content, staging, etc.), but it's relatively easy to see execution (uniformity of silks/equipment). The 1990s Cadets had amazing guards (not part of the 100 points until 2000) when April (Gilligan) M. was caption head. I look at what I see are some of the best cohesive performances: Spirit 1985-1987, BD 1986, Cadets 1994,1995 (robbed?), 1996 (the absolute best one I've ever seen), 2005; Cavies 2007. (All the 20s for BD---and the 2002 Cavies---didn't "wow" me, hence my disclaimer re not knowing my ### from a hole in the ground. Cavies 2002 had FAR too much bad line to warrant a 20.)

One of my problems with these corps trying to win is not putting the right people in the right places (e.g. Crown = drums). As a sports fan, I suffered through far too many Ohio State offensive line nightmares because of those in charge of that "caption." One year removed of those people, and BAM! Problem not completely solved but an obvious improvement equal to POINTS in drum corps.

My question is, what are Eric Babula's (new caption head) credentials? I've only seen them once (early), but the guard looked very promising with an overflowing pot of equipment work and seemingly improved confidence. I'm not laying blame; maybe nobody is comparable to April---at least that style in my eyes. They won guard once without her ('05), so why isn't Jonathon What's-his'name still running the show? I'm positive BD would not be the same if S. Chandler left. CC's site doesn't list their guard caption leader, but consistently beating BD is quite a feat these days. (The Devils have won 8 out of 10---5 in a row.)

Thoughts?

I posted this on the Cadets discussion. Re their guard:

I think they had an off night. They were dirty and had drops. But the question is who would you have them above? BD, Crown ad SCV have superior guards. Phantom is squeaky clean and Bk had an outstanding guard performance last night. Maybe Cadet's guard is the same Achilles heel that Crown's drumline is? Cadets guard just doesn't add as much as the groups above them nor do they have the 'look' or level of sophistication of those who beat them.

I think their guard is better this year than the past few years I just think there are at least 4 guards who are better (BD, Crown, SCV, Phantom). Think about how much SCV's guard add to the programme, cadets guard on the other hand are just 'there'

Disclosure: I know little about that caption (content, staging, etc.), but it's relatively easy to see execution (uniformity of silks/equipment). The 1990s Cadets had amazing guards (not part of the 100 points until 2000) when April (Gilligan) M. was caption head. I look at what I see are some of the best cohesive performances: Spirit 1985-1987, BD 1986, Cadets 1994,1995 (robbed?), 1996 (the absolute best one I've ever seen), 2005; Cavies 2007. (All the 20s for BD---and the 2002 Cavies---didn't "wow" me, hence my disclaimer re not knowing my ### from a hole in the ground. Cavies 2002 had FAR too much bad line to warrant a 20.)

One of my problems with these corps trying to win is not putting the right people in the right places (e.g. Crown = drums). As a sports fan, I suffered through far too many Ohio State offensive line nightmares because of those in charge of that "caption." One year removed of those people, and BAM! Problem not completely solved but an obvious improvement equal to POINTS in drum corps.

My question is, what are Eric Babula's (new caption head) credentials? I've only seen them once (early), but the guard looked very promising with an overflowing pot of equipment work and seemingly improved confidence. I'm not laying blame; maybe nobody is comparable to April---at least that style in my eyes. They won guard once without her ('05), so why isn't Jonathon What's-his'name still running the show? I'm positive BD would not be the same if S. Chandler left. CC's site doesn't list their guard caption leader, but consistently beating BD is quite a feat these days. (The Devils have won 8 out of 10---5 in a row.)

Thoughts?

Eric marched Cadets for many years including 05.

I posted this on the Cadets discussion. Re their guard:

I think they had an off night. They were dirty and had drops. But the question is who would you have them above? BD, Crown ad SCV have superior guards. Phantom is squeaky clean and Bk had an outstanding guard performance last night. Maybe Cadet's guard is the same Achilles heel that Crown's drumline is? Cadets guard just doesn't add as much as the groups above them nor do they have the 'look' or level of sophistication of those who beat them.

I think their guard is better this year than the past few years I just think there are at least 4 guards who are better (BD, Crown, SCV, Phantom). Think about how much SCV's guard add to the programme, cadets guard on the other hand are just 'there'

Thought the spread was a bit aggressive but they will hose down what's not working and clean it by finals.

Thoughts?

Eric Babula is young but very talented you gotta give people some time to settle into the roles that they have. No searching for the cure. That's a bad way to go. Consistency is key. The cadets were great because April Gilligan was there for ever. Same with blue devils. Scott Chandler has been there For-Ever, it develops the program and pulls the talent in. As for crown, Michael Townsend has been there since 2003 and the guard has continued to develop to the point where they can beat the blue devils, in a time period where bd has dominated that caption for years. It takes time and development. And talent. Just gotta start firing on all cylinders.

Thoughts?

I don't think Cadets was the sixth place guard last night but I will agree with others that Crown, Vanguard, and BD all have amazing guard programs this year and taking any of them out is going to be extremely tough. The Cadets guard has one of the most difficult flag books out there right now and it is being spun really well. I think there were a few off spots last night that might have hurt, (although in my opinion not enough to rate them in sixth) Love Blue Knights show this year and the guard is really good but I'd have to watch the program again to see what the judge saw. I didn't think the work was there to be in 5th. Phantom is really clean but the demand level is not there which is why they were able to come out so clean so early. Very talented ladies who are performing what they're given extremely well, but they can probably do so much more. In WGI (not dci) terms its a open class show competing in a World class world. Their execution numbers matching the construction number from the judges reflect this but in my opinion they're maxing out, the what of they're getting should be lower number wise. In the end the judges aren't going to all agree, but I think Cadets guard is doing great. We'll see what happens over the next three weeks cause there is lots of time left.

The cadets were great because April Gilligan was there for ever.

I do know what you mean. History lesson: April aged out of Garfield in 1987; they did not originally have room for her on the 1988 staff. She ended up as a marching tech until one of the guard instructors left during that season where the guard placed 11th in semis and 9th in Finals (that was the first year of a coed guard---second really, since Wesley What'shisname was the "ballet star" of '87). She took over as caption head in 1989 and Poof! Best Guard at Finals. As great (and fun) as that 1989 guard was, it was an obvious jump in 1990 where that "sophistication" took over. (I still don't know how they lost in '90.)

They definitely seem technically stronger than they have been in a while, but the design choices continue to confuse me. For the second year in a row, the guard isn't providing much in the way of visual support to an otherwise really outstanding ballad. Last year was the slip-n-slide action, staged virtually in the end zone while the gorgeous music was all happening on the other side of the field, and this time it is the prism tape bendy poles. They are O-K, but you get some really dramatic musical moments, and there isn't any sort of visual punch, even at the end, to match what you are seeing to what you are hearing. Just a bunch of people doing random things with wiggly PVC. It strikes me as a missed opportunity.

Have they forgotten how to generate substantial effect with their guard? It used to be their showcase, with featured and inventive moments that would generate huge audience response. Lately, very "workaday." It is interesting that there has been almost zero talk about their "non weapons." They may not be actual guns and swords, but what they do with them is so standard that few seem to have even noticed.

Individual response to color is subjective, but it is what I do for a living, so I pay a lot of attention to the various choices. Even when I don't particularly care for what a corps has picked, I can usually identify what their objective was with it. Some of BD's choices have not been my favorites, but what they do is extremely detailed, consistent and is unquestionably a coordinated look which always makes sense, even if I don't care for the hues/patterns at times.

With Cadets, I'm at a loss lately. I've been trying all summer to guess at their motivation for the extremely loud, almost drill team-like outfits, and 4 circus colors, which are all in a similar tonal range. I keep coming up short. I just don't get it, when the Barber music is so often somber or filled with seething intensity. It has become one of those shows that I like to listen to, but not watch. (BD 2011 was another one - too many stripes). Again, missed opportunity here.

One hates to make comparisons, but in this case is it impossible not to - In Star of Indiana's Medea, they introduced a flag as a surprise impact element all over the field at once, late in the show. Blood red with black veins painted all over it. INCREDIBLE EFFECT. One of the best designs ever. It just seethed with rage and communication and really brought home the emotion.

Cadets' guard has been quality for decades, but perhaps they suffer a bit lately from too much insider thinking. Every program can benefit from a jolt of outside opinion from time to time to regain freshness. Something to break the pattern of "how it has always been."

• Like 4

I love Cadets show. It is one of my favorites this year.

That being said, there is one portion during Media starting at the 7:40:00 mark on the HQ feed where the guard spins bright yellow flags. The flag work is different for each side and then there is a big unison flag spin feature when the corps forms the wing drill.

I am actually amazed at how not in unison that flag work is. It wasn't like this in just the San Antonio show - I've seen the same thing in other shows they were at.

Couldn't agree more with the last post. When I said they lack sophistication, you articulated that much better.

Aanpote, you talk about levels of demand in their book when compared to Phantom- but demand isn't on the sheets. It's much more about how much the guard contributes to the visual package. Imagine how much SCV or Phantom's show would be lacking without their guard. Now imagine what Cadets show would look like?