Cadets' Guard

I'll have to agree with the poster who mentioned the guard outfits this year.

I don't know how anyone can think that they express the music in any way. The music is reverential (Adagio) or dark and aggressive (especially Medea) - how that color scheme and look even fits in is beyond me.

Not only do they look "clownish" the colors really clash with the corps proper.

I think that what they are being asked to do is mostly fine (with the exception of those poles in the ballad that add absolutely nothing) - but it's hard to match their outfits with what they are trying to represent - it's almost like they received the wrong uniforms and decided to just use them anyway. I think they should be 4th or 5th in guard - and that's great when you look at the absolutely extraordinary guards out there this year.

Guard outfit design has plagued Cadets on and off for a while now. They actually changed them during the year 2 times in recent years - I hope they do the same this year.

Later,

Mike

Edited by Guardguy89
  • Like 2

I'll have to agree with the poster who mentioned the guard outfits this year.

I don't know how anyone can think that they express the music in any way. The music is reverential (Adagio) or dark and aggressive (especially Medea) - how that color scheme and look even fits in is beyond me.

Not only do they look "clownish" the colors really clash with the corps proper.

I think that what they are being asked to do is mostly fine (with the exception of those poles in the ballad that add absolutely nothing) - but it's hard to match their outfits with what they are trying to represent - it's almost like the received the wrong uniforms and desided to just use them anyway. I think they should be 4th or 5th in guard - and that's great when you look at the absolutely extraordinary guards out there this year.

Guard outfit design has plagued Cadets on and off for a while now. They actually changed them during the year 2 times in recent years - I hope they do the same this year.

Later,

Mike

I agree and I guess when I said they lack sophistication, that is part of it. I also struggle with the flags, which get lost against the prop covers - esp the red flags which you almost don't notice. Maybe the guard staff are being limited in their choices by the rest of the staff. Wasn't Daniel Riley their caption head for the past few years of average guards? He goes to SCV and look how phenomenal they are!

• Like 1

I recall their very "dressy" looks: '89's French Revolution; 90's "evening soiree" look; '92 and '93 are the best (though I loved '95's individuality).

I have to tell a story here. After the 1999 season, I lost my temper on the old AOL drum corps boards. Cadets had a habit, win or lose guard, of drops in Finals. I was told that it was because they "took great risks." Yeah, ok... so did others. Anyway, my (stupidly rude) comments apparently got back to one of the kids who dropped his rifle right in front of the PBS camera, and he was upset enough to go crying to April. I received a vicious email bomb from her unlike anything I'd read. (Now, I write political commentary and get death threats. ::Yawn.::)

I replied and apologized for my unprofessional assessment. I also reminded her that (thanks, Bette Davis) "birds do pick at the best fruit." Anyway, we made it up, and in 2000, I went to an early show, and lo and/or behold, she was standing by the souvies all alone, so I dared walk up to her and introduce myself. She was extremely sweet; I really wanted to give her a hug before leaving, but I thought better. tongue.gif

Edited by Tad_MMA
  • Like 1

I haven't been a fan of Cadets' guard since the last time they won the title (05) (and they were still dirtier than classic Cadets lines.)

Well, it wasn't '91, '94 or '96, but that was a ###### fine line. It's easy to relive on the DVD with the angle feature. Their flag work is tremendous. And I don't think there were any drops that year. (That was Jonathon What'shisname's guard that year.)

I'm STILL looking for an upstairs video of 1991. Argh!!!! I want to see the WHOLE guard show!!!

I find it funny that I get a (-) for my comment - when all I'm saying is that I think they have a good guard - but a horrible guard outfit.

It's called an opinion people - we all have one. :rolleyes:/>

Later,

Mike

Edited by Guardguy89
  • Like 3

Personally, I like Cadets guard this year. Not as much when April was there and they were amazing.

The ending flag work was incredibly dirty last night. It looks like it may of just been added.

Also, there are some amazing guards ahead of them.

It used to be just them and BD as the guard divas. Now there is more competition.

They've been hit and miss all the 2000's -- miss is relative to their 89-96ish streak of amazing lines, when they were in some ways what BD has been the last 10 years.

2nd or 3rd range in 1997-2004 and 2009 and 2011 -- very good guards, but not the best. Then that great line in 2005. Otherwise 4th-5th-ish 2006-2008 and 2010 (much like the corps proper).

To my layman's eyes, this year's book is more difficult/wider ranging than anything they've had since 2005 -- except maybe 2009. Doesn't mean it's better than a few other corps this year, and also doesn't mean they're selling/supporting the show like they did with less-difficult books in years past.

It annoys me. I love/want great sections out of The Cadets -- I love watching great guards (1996!! 1993!)!

Some people have talked about what's going on in the ballad -- I know they're adding some guard characterization as we speak. But count me as someone who loves to see lots of great flag work (MAYBE weapons) during a ballad. Cadets know how to do this -- 2011, 2001, 1998! But different things can work, too -- look at the dancing and weird walking SCV's guard did during the same ballad in 1999. It's a beautiful ballad, but not "sweet" -- it's brooding, you can feel it boiling over as they crescendo, and rather than simply spinning some pretty silks, The Cadets guard is thrashing around a bit, filling the field with weird flappy shiny glimmery effects -- but maybe not as visible as they could be (see the whole corps with shiny poles in 2011; see the mirror-type things in Star 91). And before that climax, I can see what they're going for some of the time -- using them to pair guard members (see them tugging and struggling with them), framing the soloist (and interacting with her, too). So, it's not like they're wandering around with shiny pipes, but it's not achieving the desired effect yet.

Here's my problem with GILLEY:

s-KRISTEN-WIIG-GILLY-large.jpg

COLOR GUARD SCORES WITHIN THE TOP 4 ( Not judged by Gilley) Cadets are between .3-.6

TOC Mo July 11th -BD 16.9, Crown 17.2 Cadets 16.8 SCV 16.5

DCI MINN. July 13th - BD 17.2, Crown 17.1, Cadets 16.5, SCV 17

TOC Dekalb July 14th- BD 17.3 Crown 17.2 Cadets 17.1 SCV 17

DCI Dallas. July 18th - BD 17.2, Crown 17.1, Cadets 16.8, SCV 17

Shows judged by Gilley:

July 17th Cadets score 16.1 (Cadets hadn't scored that low since July 5th)

July 20th DCI San Antonio- BD 17.9, Crown 18.0, Cadets 16.8, SCV 17.6

Cadets are a full 1.2 behind the top guard. If you look back. This happens every year!

Maybe Bruno has to explain the show to her?

Edited by boxingfred

Here's my problem with GILLEY:

s-KRISTEN-WIIG-GILLY-large.jpg

COLOR GUARD SCORES WITHIN THE TOP 4 ( Not judged by Gilley) Cadets are between .3-.6

TOC Mo July 11th -BD 16.9, Crown 17.2 Cadets 16.8 SCV 16.5

DCI MINN. July 13th - BD 17.2, Crown 17.1, Cadets 16.5, SCV 17

TOC Dekalb July 14th- BD 17.3 Crown 17.2 Cadets 17.1 SCV 17

DCI Dallas. July 18th - BD 17.2, Crown 17.1, Cadets 16.8, SCV 17

Shows judged by Gilley:

July 17th Cadets score 16.1 (Cadets hadn't scored that low since July 5th)

July 20th DCI San Antonio- BD 17.9, Crown 18.0, Cadets 16.8, SCV 17.6

Cadets are a full 1.2 behind the top guard. If you look back. This happens every year!

Maybe Bruno has to explain the show to her?

And how could we forget 2003 quarterfinals... I was just a rookie, but that was my first time hearing the name. At the time, I was completely naive to the fact that something like this could happen (Crossmen got tanked that night too...also a part of YEA at the time).

• Like 1