Fan Network

Fan Network has been awful until Atlanta. And even Atlanta wasn't "HD" on my 35Mbps bandwidth. I went to the Stanford DCI West show and then went home and watched it on FN and thought it was a different show...

Any ideas if the stream is still available? i chose not to renew the FN this year due an extended vacation, etc. but I did purchase the Atlanta show yesterday. I'm trying to go back and rewatch some stuff that I may have missed and it is telling me the video is not available. Did they take the stream down already for non FN subscribers?

Yeah, I'm concerned about the fact that the Fan Network servers weren't even responding when I tried to connect at around peak load time (the last 3-4 performances). Drumcat, I don't suppose you have any ex-insider info on whether they are planning to just stream Finals within the existing infrastructure or whether they are preparing something different? The failures of late have gotten me really curious about all the details of the architecture since I do this sort of thing (not live-streaming video, but managing servers that run busy interactive websites) for a living. I'm in hyper-problem-solving mode here... rock.gif

Even with what I know, I don't want to speculate because it wouldn't be fair to anyone.

I am 100% sure they are aware of those problems, and are already addressing them. I had page load issues, and what I do know is that they probably had more of a load balancing issue rather than a sheer number problem.

One thing I should point out is that the video feeds and the page loads are separate. Once you "get in", it isn't the same infrastructure serving the video versus the page itself. I'm guessing most people know that, but it bears a repetition.

Just like everyone else, they want to get this right. So again, no speculation other than that I'd bet my house on the fact that those guys are working very, very hard. I'm pulling hard for them, too.

• Like 1

One thing I should point out is that the video feeds and the page loads are separate. Once you "get in", it isn't the same infrastructure serving the video versus the page itself. I'm guessing most people know that, but it bears a repetition.

Right, but the page load itself should be trivial comparatively. That's why I was worried/confused about the situation.

Anyway, thanks for your comments.

Right, but the page load itself should be trivial comparatively. That's why I was worried/confused about the situation.

Anyway, thanks for your comments.

It's not because of the data pulls. The page elements are trivial, but caching database queries in that high of quantity can be difficult. Thus you have things like RDS on Amazon vs running off a server, etc. So to be more specific, *in the past* when I've seen that type of response, it's been databases getting hammered. You'll see some page elements pop up, then the first "decision" the page has to make, it stalls.

Again, that's just based on industry experience. I'm sure they're even more worried than you that they get it fixed. :)