Field Judges "in the way"

While I understand Jeff's argument about the percussion judge being on the field (we've had this same discussion over beers a few times), there really is no reason to have the brass and visual judges out there. Leave the field visual judge on the sideline and put the brass judge in the box where he belongs.

• Like 2

I'm not sure. With synth support, it's often impossible to tell what sound is brass and what is synth. Of course, on-field position means you can't judge blend and balance.

You're right on about balance and blend. But as for the synth, you can tell, even with the best set-ups.

• Like 1

2008 Championships, the percussion judge ruined all concentration on the Phantom Regiment performance , and the DVD. They are not the show, but insist on being so !

I remember seeing that show and thinking that fool wanted to be the show. He should have been fired on the spot! And you're right, he ruined the show.

My question is, with all the dodging and contortions they are doing to avoid being run down, how much are they really hearing or seeing?

Edited by srb30a
  • Like 3

Except that you're not having to listen over brass in WGI.

If you can't "listen over brass", you're in the wrong gig. I get what you're saying, and I'm not saying a judge shouldn't potentially be mobile... but even if I thought that might affect a judge I'd still say no.

But it doesn't, IMO. Just get the hell out of forms. It's literally dangerous.

You're right on about balance and blend. But as for the synth, you can tell, even with the best set-ups.

I'm not so sure (how would you know?). When I've sat in a different place or watched a show on FN vs live or vice versa, I often discover just how much of the blended sound is from the synth. Particularly at the low end, it's very hard to discern. Maybe all the brass judges have exceptional hearing, but I sort of doubt it, if they've been judging and teaching brass for decades. But in any case even when you can tell, the synth often covers the brass.

Edited by skywhopper
  • Like 1

If you subscribe to Fan Network, just for the heck of it, watch the field percussion judge in a show with any of the World Class Corps. Its amazing these judges havn't been injured more often. Its a fast dodge and weave, backwards, forwards, sideways, you name it, for them throughout most of the show. They are constantly looking forward, back, over their shoulder, and literally running for their life. You couldn't pay me enough to be a field percussion judge. Forget that.

Being an on field judge would improve my quickness/foot work for sports.