If BD Wins, We Riot!

I am definately begining to think that some people are incapable of separating out BD win jealousy ( present ) with the vast larger numbers of national fans that do not like the 2013 BD show because to them it is boring, confusing, or in some manner unappealing to them. They attribute the national audience reception to the fact that they " continue to win ". Are you incapable of understanding that a lot of the current audience displeasure is totally unrelated to the already acknowleged jealousy cadre of fans ? Or is such thinking perhaps beyond your ability to grasp such a current reality. Not a flame. I'm just curious, thats all.

It's not because they continue to win that they have become so controversial. That's clear by looking at other corps who have enjoyed similar runs. During their dynasty eras, who talked about the Cadets or Cavaliers the same way they talk about BD? I don't remember any conversations similar to what we have now with BD. However, I do remember similar conversations with the Cadets, not when they were winning, but when they were cluttering up the field with props and talking through most of their show. When they stopped, people loved them again. It's not the corps, it's the show design. I've talked to too many people in the stands watching who remember what the BD used to be, and who want them to come back the way the Cadets did. These are not the voices of haters who are jealous of them winning. They are the voices of people who used to love them who want to be able to love them again, myself included. I just wish the staff could see how much more rewarding it would be not only for the fans, but for their members as well who are discouraged to learn they have won because they can hear the boos from the crowd when the scores are announced.

• Like 3

Can't believe this thread is still going on. Isn't it a bit early to throw in the towel? Gosh it's so close - I still think it is a going to come down to Sat in Indy.

On another note:

I would never boo a performer who has put in the time to compete in this activity: child, young adult or adult. These young(ish.. relative to me) beings give up weekends, summer and $$ to participate and produce a heck of a lot of enjoyment and goodwill for audiences all over the country.

I'm keeping to my policy of never booing (I guess except when the Blue Coats are on because it's code for a cheer..). I see great things to clap for the corps that don't have my favorite show and I am going to continue to enjoy and support the activity and performers.

• Like 3

I was in Atlanta yesterday, and I will say that there was open hostility prior to Blue Devils' show. People were dismissing it before the corps was even on the field. I left before scores because I knew booing would happen, regardless of Blue Devils' placement. You can rationalize that you are booing the scores, and you can rationalize it by saying that the kids are adult enough to take it. However, if there was booing for Crown, I guarantee the same people who defend booing would make the opposing argument. Booing a corps for any reason is just classless. I agree with the sentiment of others here. Just don't clap. That gets the point across all the same, but it at least makes you seem classy.

• Like 3

I think BD fans are so defensive about feeling they are beat up on SOLELY because they win a lot, that they thrash anyone who doesn't like the shows and label them as a "hater" because the thought that someone might actually have different tastes is somehow threatening to them.

My sentiments too, Wade66.

This attack on audiences and on DCP'ers as somehow all" haters " because they state they find a show unappealing, boring, confusing or whatever is most unfortunate.

Here's what I think

The crowd isn't booing the corps, but booing the judges who came up with the scores.....

I personally would never boo............no matter what corps your in, and you hear booing after your name .....even though the booes are directed at the judges and the scores, it still would hurt the players on the field.......

Instead of booing I would simply reframe from shouting my lungs out to congratulate the winner the judges made, I'd clap, but not go wild.

I agree with most of what you said except here's a fact - the crowd is booing the corps.

Ya know why? Because the judges don't care if you boo - they know full well that the people booing could never replace them in 100 years, "judges are puppets" remarks notwithstanding.

The kids are the only ones listening.

Nice job...

Totally agree with your point about cheering your lungs out for your favorite corps. 150% agree.

Booing is a mob mentality reaction that is frankly - stupid.

How's that for sanctimony?

• Like 4

It's not because they continue to win that they have become so controversial. That's clear by looking at other corps who have enjoyed similar runs. During their dynasty eras, who talked about the Cadets or Cavaliers the same way they talk about BD? I don't remember any conversations similar to what we have now with BD. However, I do remember similar conversations with the Cadets, not when they were winning, but when they were cluttering up the field with props and talking through most of their show. When they stopped, people loved them again. It's not the corps, it's the show design. I've talked to too many people in the stands watching who remember what the BD used to be, and who want them to come back the way the Cadets did. These are not the voices of haters who are jealous of them winning. They are the voices of people who used to love them who want to be able to love them again, myself included. I just wish the staff could see how much more rewarding it would be not only for the fans, but for their members as well who are discouraged to learn they have won because they can hear the boos from the crowd when the scores are announced.

Well said, and I likewise see it this way as well. BD is right up there as having some of my favorite shows of all time. Thats the irony here.

And where did you find this "vast number of national fans?" I think your point it total B***S**T. Boring? confusing? unappealing? Why don't you try thinking about it. End of point. I have nothing more to say about it other than you are clueless.

Goodnight.

Goodnight, indeed. Sleep tight.

I think that the Blue Devils win a lot, because they are smart, read the rules of the contest, and then create a show that they will both enjoy teaching and gives them a shot at winning.

They have earned a steady stream of talent which allows them to use this method. It seems fairly simple to me. You must have a complete package to beat the Devils, because they are strong from administration to cook staff.

When others Corps fall down, they step over them and move onward. Cadets need a guard, and Crown needs a drumline. Those are the only two Corps take can take them out this year. Vanguard is fan favorite, but Les Mis limits them, IMO.

Best of luck to everyone this year. I wouldn't boo, but I would feel free to go silent if I see something I don't enjoy. I am a paying customer after all. I might even write a letter to Dave Gibbs, George Hopkins, or Jim Coates. Nothing wrong with that.

• Like 3

Booing a corps for any reason is just classless. I agree with the sentiment of others here. Just don't clap. That gets the point across all the same, but it at least makes you seem classy.

I could be wrong, but I don't think any of the current regular posters on DCP here are " booers ". I think everyone here has pretty much agreed that booing at DCI shows is rude behavior. Also, can we all agree here too that the overwhelming, vast numbers of people that attend DCI shows do not boo any Corps, including the Blue Devils ? And that despite the audible hearing of boos in Atlanta when the scores were announced ( not present it appears at all when BD finished their show ), that booing in Drum Corps is mostly a non issue most years, and that DCI fans are for the most part, civil, respectable, decent people that are most appreciative of the effots of all the MM's in performance before them ? That DCI fans are 100 times more respectful than what we routinely see at pop warner football games, little league games, bantam Hockey games, and so forth ? Can we at least agree today on these things ?

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 3

There's plenty of programs to like if you dislike BDs. Is it the fact that they continue to win that's bothering you guys?

The fact that BD gets rewarded for this kind of show year after year is frustrating because these shows are not connecting with the audience in the way a championship show should do. Doesn't matter who the corps is, if they win with a show that most of the audience doesn't like, that's a bad thing for the fans and for the activity.

I'm beginning the think the reaction to their show this year may surpass the reaction to the Rite of Spring the first time it was heard. And now it is considered on the the most significant compositions in the history of music. Cutting edge in the arts is never popular in it's time and usually in hind sight it become appreciated for it's contribution.

:rolleyes: BD's designers are no Stravinskys or Najinskys.

• Like 1