If BD Wins, We Riot!

i think you're right about the diminished numbers, but there's still a lot of love left in those stands!

I'm sure it'll be labeled ABBD

:tongue:/>

what the people need is a way to make them smile

Doobie Brothers song lyric ( haha!)

Madison would bring the house down marching up and down the 50 yard line playing "Hot Cross Buns" .. and if they were playing this years BD show it would be praised as brilliant, innovative, creative, Star '93 part II.

Lets be honest here: BD is not liked because they win too much and yes I have heard fans that I know say it.

I guess you missed those years not too long ago where Madison was a hot dog corps

Yes, I did say that " diversity is good ". There is lots of " diversity " in shows of Corps today, just as there was lots of " diversity of shows " BITD as well. In my view, Drum Corps shows have offered " diversity " of music, styles, visuals, unis, ethos, etc from about as long as I have been around Drum Corps. I also agree that if someone does not like a Corps show, that there might be others that they will like... if they can learn to be a bit more patient and take in all the shows from all the Corps. That said, I'm not so sure what this has to do with a lot of people seemingly not enjoying the 2013 BD show very much. So you sort of lost me on what your main point is here in your reply to me.

go back to the rest of my post , I do say that whats talked about and so so many from coast to coast not liking BD I have seen alot different...many , yes .....all, not at all

Edited by GUARDLING

I have a different thought about the Blue Devils. Over the last 3 or 4 years, the Blue devils have had shows that don't always equate to audience appeal.

No doubt, they are an unbelievably talented bunch of young adults, but who are the persons responsible for the crowds reaction to their shows; not the marching members. It's the staff.

The staff has decided to write shows that will allow this crowd reaction to take place toward the members of their corps. If I was involved in an activity that affected 150 young adults, I wouldn't have the heart to ask them to perform something that would lead them to being criticized at the level they are subjected.

Why would the staff do this to these young adults; they are talented enough to know when they are writing a show that produces this type of reaction from the audience - but let's go ahead and subject them to it anyway; The judges will under stand we are geniuses; who cares what the members of the corps have to endure. We'll have another DCI Championship to add to our collection!!

Blue Devil Staff - take your unbelievable talent and write the shows that will win your championships and keep the members from the having to go through this.

My 2 cents,

Mitch

Exactly what I was saying in my earlier post. They can do everything they are doing technically, and still entertain the crowd. For whatever inexplicable reason, they refuse to do so.

Madison would bring the house down marching up and down the 50 yard line playing "Hot Cross Buns" .. and if they were playing this years BD show it would be praised as brilliant, innovative, creative, Star '93 part II.

Lets be honest here: BD is not liked because they win too much and yes I have heard fans that I know say it.

Thats nonsense. First of all Madison Scouts would have no interest in doing this BD show, and secondly, there is no guarantee that they have sufficient talent in this years Corps to do a weird and hard show as what BD is doing. Plus, when have the Madison Scouts ever done a show even remotely unentertaining to national fans as this 2013 BD show ? And what makes you so certain that if the Madison Scouts did a weird show like this that they'd be as beloved as they are now for doing entertaining shows ? Thats a real stretch to think this, imo.

The fact that BD is disliked in some quarters because " they win too much " is undoubtably true. But you are only deluding yourself if you believe the poor audience reception to their show this year and last year is not primarily because their show is simply too boring, too confusing, too weird or whatever for vast numbers of attendees at their appearances from coast to coast.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

I have a different thought about the Blue Devils. Over the last 3 or 4 years, the Blue devils have had shows that don't always equate to audience appeal.

No doubt, they are an unbelievably talented bunch of young adults, but who are the persons responsible for the crowds reaction to their shows; not the marching members. It's the staff.

The staff has decided to write shows that will allow this crowd reaction to take place toward the members of their corps. If I was involved in an activity that affected 150 young adults, I wouldn't have the heart to ask them to perform something that would lead them to being criticized at the level they are subjected.

Why would the staff do this to these young adults; they are talented enough to know when they are writing a show that produces this type of reaction from the audience - but let's go ahead and subject them to it anyway; The judges will under stand we are geniuses; who cares what the members of the corps have to endure. We'll have another DCI Championship to add to our collection!!

Blue Devil Staff - take your unbelievable talent and write the shows that will win your championships and keep the members from the having to go through this.

My 2 cents,

Mitch

Growing up in SoCal, I was fortunate enough to play high school football at a national powerhouse program that was always ranked in the top ten nationally when i was there. Since we won all the time, naturally we was hated and we got everyone's best shot week in week out. That included the fans and student body of the opposing school. It was very common for the student body of the opposing school to somehow get our home phone number's (this was the early to mid 90's) call our houses and say things i will not repeat on this forum. Road games was insane lol. We had things said to us on road games that even the most hardcore comedian wouldn't repeat and say. Instead of feeling bad and getting down on our ourselves cause no one liked us outside our own fan base, we accepted and embraced the negativity that came our way. We used it as fuel for our motor to get us going for games. The more negativity you threw our way, the better we played. And when we was up 49-0 at halftime, we would tell the opposing team to thank their fans cause its only gonna get worse in the 2nd half. If people wanted to boo us and disrespect our parent's homes by calling our houses at all hours of the night, we was gonna give them a reason to boo us and we embraced it.

Point is if me and my former teammates could handle major negativity at the ages of 15, 16, and 17, then BD can handle it at the ages 19, 20, and 21.

Point is if me and my former teammates could handle major negativity at the ages of 15, 16, and 17, then BD can handle it at the ages 19, 20, and 21.

Plus nobody with half a brain believes that the staff of BD did not tell their MM's in the offseason that the show that they were designing for them would be boring, confusing, unappealing to most audiences from coast to coast. For the staff not to give their MM's a heads up would border on malpractice. The staff has an obligation to tell MM's their show will not go over well with audiences, but that it can win. This way, potential MM's bought into the whole deal in the offseason, so when they hear the smattering of boos, or the constipated look, accompanied by yawns and golf claps they are neither annoyed with audiences, nor angry with anyone at all, as this was the expressed deal they paid for and bought into with their time, money and energy.

Edited by BRASSO

Because it's a stupid popularity poll. You don't like what's going on, your powerless to change it, so you try in a number of tact's to insult, demean, characterize and generally disrespect the efforts of one of our drum corps. You would do much better in supporting the one's you like, than wasting your efforts on spitting through the chain link fence.

There are questions missing in this poll, and it's a very telling one.

1.) Do you think more than 33% of fans like the Blue Devils show?

2.) Do you think more than 33% of fans would like the Blue Devils show if they chose to design one that was more entertaining to the majority of the fans who come to see them?

3.) Based on your responses to questions 1 and 2; Do you believe people hate the Blue Devils? <or> Do you believe people hate the Blue Devil's recent choices in extremely esoteric show design?

Honest answers to these questions would quickly put to rest the idea of some vast amount of Blue Devil haters in the crowd. I loved them from the first time I saw them in 1976. But they are no longer the Blue Devils I knew. Last year was the last straw. I had to let them go. Would love to see them pivot like the Cadets did. Hated them for the talking era but this year's show from them is incredible. I would welcome BD back with open arms if they would just decide to entertain us once again.

• Like 1