Why did it take so long...

While I am all for this... doesn't anyone feel like $49-$69 for a webcast is a bit too much?

not at all. It's DCI's super Bowl, World Series and Finals Four all wrapped into one. and since DCi doesnt have network execs bidding billions of dollars to carry it live for free, I think that's perfectly acceptable. I mean heaven forbid they make a few bucks.

With the economy being as bad as it is, gas prices rising, and job insecurity, it only makes sense that they broadcast live. The real reason is they can make more money and capture more attendance with a paid live finals subscription than any other way. The people that can attend finals will always attend finals. I doubt they will lose any more attendance than usual.

And as Jeff said it's the superbowl! People have been begging for them to broadcast live for a long time. The comfort of home viewing, the ability to turn up the volume, and easy access to Beer and other snacks, not to mention easy access to the bathroom are all +'s in my book, especially for $50 bucks.

Edited by Phantombari1

The remarks made by the recent previous posters are accurate but not adequate if the person asking the question has little income or little luxury income.

Twenty-five dollars for dinner may be fine for some, but it's not the quality of a grandparent and grandchild getting together to grow at McDonald's or the diner.

Is the charge meant to attract new younger fans and viewers, older and more established possible devotees and sponsors, or the well to do Friends of DCI?

Each will have a different answer about what is an appropriate cost.

• Like 1

I think the reason why they haven't live streamed it in recent years is mainly due to the fact that they weren't making their money back on it. Hopefully if they get enough viewership this year they can get some more sponsors to put ads in between performances as another revenue stream and offset some of the cost. I think the problem they are going to run into with this is that they are charging so much for this that people are going to expect a really high quality stream without any issues. If anything goes wrong people are going to flip out, as they should because they spend a good deal of money on the stream. I feel like they should have just live streamed it for free this year with a single camera to see what kind of viewership they would even have so they could plan accordingly for next year. Also if there were to be any technical issues, its free so people really can't complain.

Do you think the effect is greater in this activity versus, say, college football (or other similar sporting events)? Other than blackouts, those games are pretty regularly broadcast live nationwide. Obviously drum corps is a much more niche activity than college football.

exactly. as stated below, networks, even regional sports networks bid billions or at least millions to broadcast those games. DCI is atbest, getting some money for the ads they run on the fan network, more like it's ads run as a trade for ads for DCI the manufacturers run.

The remarks made by the recent previous posters are accurate but not adequate if the person asking the question has little income or little luxury income.

Twenty-five dollars for dinner may be fine for some, but it's not the quality of a grandparent and grandchild getting together to grow at McDonald's or the diner.

Is the charge meant to attract new younger fans and viewers, older and more established possible devotees and sponsors, or the well to do Friends of DCI?

Look....in life, not everyone is going to be able to afford everything. I love this one house in Dewey Beach De...it's perfect! I could make a ton renting it out too.....but the costs upfront to buying a 1.2 million dollar home are too much, so I'm not buying it. And trust me, I'd love to sit on that patio, with the pool bar that is big enough to mount a tv on the wall, and hook the laptop up to it and watch finals with the ocean in the background!

DCI did a survey asking what fans thought. The numbers reflected in their package were questions asked in the survey. Remember, DCI is in the business of making money for the corps...so should they show finals at $15 a head, and then each corps gets less money because DCI lost a bundle? Hell no. DCI may be 501c, but it's not a charity that can get away with government bailout if it loses money.

Let DCI run it for a year, and then adjust if need be once they see how demand is.

Remember, DCI has fans that can never go to finals for whatever reason, and now they can make money on those fans. DCI knows there are fans with no desire to ever set foot in Lucas Oil Stadium again. Now, they can make money on those fans too! DCI has fans that only go some years to finals. Now they can make money on those fans too!

If a kid thinks it's steep, gather friends together, everybody pony up a few bucks and boom. I know of 4 band directors who since Sunday have organized viewing parties in their band rooms. . thats a great way to get new fans hooked.

• Like 1

It's not $69 per person. You buy one feed and split the cost between a handful of friends and you're hardly spending anything each. Young fans will be all over this for parties, and bands could even use it as a fundraiser by charging each kid $1 to see it on a big screen.

and bands could even use it as a fundraiser by charging each kid $1 to see it on a big screen.

May or may not be legal, I'd advise a call to DCI on that regard.

It's not $69 per person. You buy one feed and split the cost between a handful of friends and you're hardly spending anything each. Young fans will be all over this for parties, and bands could even use it as a fundraiser by charging each kid $1 to see it on a big screen.

I agree with you and with Jeff Ream in the post above, #16B.

I also know nothing about the OP and was speculating with various approaches as in post 9.

Your strategies are actually the second step in problem solving. The first is to identify the problem as it is, not as I presume it to be. Who is DCI speaking to/for?

I think DCI could have done a much better job announcing this rather than the brinkmanship of "we're going to have a big announcement." Say instead, "here's what we have available, here's our target audience, here's some ways to approach it,....Now, how are we doing?"

As Jeff Ream know nows too well, that next generation is behind us, but needs to be educated, not coddled.

Edited by drilltech1

stop-making-sense-1984.png