Thoughts on Shows/Time more efficient

Some Random Thoughts

One of the things that seems to create some havoc and boredom to the audience is the set up time of the pit between corps, one way to shorten that could be to standardize the pit and set it up once at the start and let all the corps use the same equipment. Would also get rid of that cluster *&$( of 2 corps trying to set up and tear down on the front sideline

Another thing that is time consuming is having up to 1/2 hour before scores are read. DCI has to find a way to either have scores faster or have some end of event entertainment, that would start as soon as the last corps exits.

Having a 1/2- 45 min intermission for a 5-6 corps event.

Look at how many audience members leave at the last note and don't stay for the scores/encore because they don't want to wait for a 1/2 hour for 1 minute of score announcement.

On final "it's time to" get the drum majors on the field - I say all drum majors should be entering the field on the front side and be there as the last corps is ending.

Most shows aren't "Drum Corps Nuts" they are people from the community coming out to a community event

Edited by blueorginal

Some Random Thoughts

One of the things that seems to create some havoc and boredom to the audience is the set up time of the pit between corps, one way to shorten that could be to standardize the pit and set it up once at the start and let all the corps use the same equipment. Would also get rid of that cluster *&$( of 2 corps trying to set up and tear down on the front sideline

Another thing that is time consuming is having up to 1/2 hour before scores are read. DCI has to find a way to either have scores faster or have some end of event entertainment, that would start as soon as the last corps exits.

Having a 1/2- 45 min intermission for a 5-6 corps event.

Look at how many audience members leave at the last note and don't stay for the scores/encore because they don't want to wait for a 1/2 hour for 1 minute of score announcement.

On final "it's time to" get the drum majors on the field - I say all drum majors should be entering the field on the front side and be there as the last corps is ending.

Most shows aren't "Drum Corps Nuts" they are people from the community coming out to a community event

I don't know if most people mind the time in between corps. At Allentown, I used it to post my thoughts on the previous corps to Twitter. Others like to discuss what they just saw.

Also, if you do need to move around or leave the stadium for some reason, you do need a decent amount of time to get people in and out of their seats. I know that in shows where they don't let you take your seats EXCEPT in between the corps, it can take some time to seat everyone who has been waiting during the previous performance to be allowed to be seated. I was at the Bowling Green show and it wasn't enough time and many people including myself missed the Troopers as a result of it not being enough time to let everyone in.

• Like 1

The corps are quick to set up. I hardly had time to post my pics on twitter in dublin before the next corps began, and post my thoughts on dcp. The pit is lined up and ready to go. I never hear complaints of "this wait is killing me!" And some places its hard to get out or in to your seat making the time in between seem even shorter if you need to get to your seat.

A lot of the people leave at the end regardless of scores. Maybe make it a little sooner but some dont care about the scores anyway. Others can find out online in the car/at home.

If anything blame the troopers DM for the long delay.

The intermission is nice regardless of the amount of corps. Showed up at the start and didnt get food? Want to hit the merch trucks? Need to pee without missing a corps?

... things that seems to create some havoc and boredom to the audience...

Oh how I hate the instant gratification days we currently live in today. Many people in the 21st century just cannot handle any down time that is not specifically structured for them. OMG!!!!! Having to come up with something on their own to fill time either freaks them out with havoc or causes boredom. Good grief!! I can think of thousands of things to do in between corps performances; but apparently many people are so dependent on others to tell them or show them what to do and how to do it they cannot think for themselves.

• Like 7

The other ideas may be OK... but please do not decrease the time between shows. If anything, I would like to see it increased by 1 or 2 minutes. I like to digest and/or discuss the previous show, and with as early as some corps begin their preshows, we often only have like 3 or 4 minutes between performances anyway. As others have stated, at most stadiums, that is not enough time to move people in and out of the seating area. Plus, many actually enjoy watching the front ensembles and guards set up. I think it makes the audience anticipate what they are about to see. If the time was decreased, I believe all the shows would begin to run together in our memories.... even more than they do now.

• Like 1

Not sure if this problem occurs at many shows as I have only gone to Allentown for the last 7 years . It's very distracting for a corp to be performing and other corps are practicing their performance at the same time. It happened so often. Is this normal?

I don't have a problem with the time in between corps shows. I think that is needed. But I think Ken has a point about the pit equipment being moved in and out. The chance that there will be sound issues with electronics and amps is very high because of the short time for setup and the amount of equipment being moved. A stationary pit, or at least a base layout that each corps can add to if they so choose, would insure better setup, better sound, and it might allow the brass and drums to troop the stands again. I miss that.

Honestly, I don't see the downtime as a problem. Corps are pretty efficient at pit setup/teardown, and honestly the four minutes or whatever is barely enough time to chat with the folks around me about the show and get the mind clear for a new performance. The TOC shows with their endless chatter just make it all feel like a solid blur of sensory overload. Our minds need a break!

It's like going to a baseball game at most new parks where you're constantly hearing music and chatter over the PA and it just never ends. There's no time to think or just enjoy being outside and take in the sounds of the crowd. Whereas at Wrigley field, at most there's some live organ music here and there. A much better experience, IMO.

Also, people leave immediately after the last corps performs because they can get the scores on their phones now. I'll stick around if a corps I love is doing an encore themselves, but the multi-corps encores tend to be duds.

Edited by skywhopper

As a former pitster, I can tell you the pit setup is precise and designed down to the very last detail specifically for each corps. There is no standard set up that would work easily. Where you place your metal vs. "wood" pieces, your rack, your timps, etc. is different from corps to corps and it would be a nightmare to try to rearrange a "standard" set of instruments between corps to fit the bill.

I also enjoy the down time at shows to talk to others, to run out and in as needed, to digest the last corps that played. As for the end of the show, because scores can be gotten online so easily, there is little to hold a crowd in place for scores. To that end, the post show encore needs to be MUCH more entertaining than just another playing through of a show. The corps chosen for an encore needs to have material ready that engages the audience on very fan/audience friendly level, even encourages participation in some manner.

Also, I think we should reinstate retreat at 5-10 shows. This would allow for all or most corps to have the chance once in a while, not just those who play on finals night. I know it wouldn't be practical at the single-day regionals, but it could be done at some of the shows with 5-12 corps. There is a lot of good that can be learned from doing a few retreats.