Crowds... seem bigger this year?

There were 5 times more drum corps shows back in the activities hay day. Overall total attendance isn't close to the '60,s '70,s & '80,s.

• Like 2

There were 5 times more drum corps shows back in the activities hay day. Overall total attendance isn't close to the '60,s '70,s & '80,s.

How do you work that math sports fan? For there to be 5 times as many shows, the season would have to run March to December

• Like 1

How do you work that math sports fan? For there to be 5 times as many shows, the season would have to run March to December

Nope. There were about 500 drum corps in the US & many regional circuits before DCI ran them all out of business. Do some research or just ask some other old timers on DCP.

• Like 1

Nope. There were about 500 drum corps in the US & many regional circuits before DCI ran them all out of business. Do some research or just ask some other old timers on DCP.

That still doesn't mean 5 times as many shows. There is only so much time in the season to fit shows, unless there were 10 shows per day every day of the season.

Flam, probably not 5 times as many shows, but I can't say for sure.

I CAN say, Allentown had bigger crowds in the past. Then again, so did NASCAR and many other events. So, what does it all mean?

Or there could be multiple shows happening on one night throughout several parts of the country. Now we have basically have 2 or 3 shows at most happening on a "busy" night.

Not trying to start an argument about the demise of DCI or anything, just saying its totally possible to have more shows.

Or there could be multiple shows happening on one night throughout several parts of the country. Now we have basically have 2 or 3 shows at most happening on a "busy" night.

Not trying to start an argument about the demise of DCI or anything, just saying its totally possible to have more shows.

Still would require somewhere around 8 shows happening every night of the season, including during the week. As much as I know there used to be more corps, I don't think there were that drastically many more shows than there are now.

Quick stats: DCI 2013- 103 shows

DCI 1973: 113 shows. So pretty close with 40 years of time and loss of corps

Reference:From the press box.com

Edited by fsubone

There were more than 250 junior contests per year in the 70s into the early 80s.

Wow, Brian!

That sounds like 25 (junior) shows per week. I was around then, but could only do two shows per week myself!

smile.gif

No, it's impossible. Any good news is obviously some kind of marketing fraud. DCI has been trying to shut down all corps for decades.

/sarcasm.

• Like 1