Has there ever been a show designed around comedy?

Several Bridgemen and (the original) Velvet Knights shows included heavy doses of comedy, although I would say their top aim was to entertain, and that making people laugh was part of the way they did that, not the only way they did that. Note that both corps, the Bridgeman especially, were highly proficient as well as entertaining. VK were finalists eight times, including two years in which they scored 90 or better. Bridgemen were finalists nine times, were five times among the top six finalists, and medaled once.

• Like 2

Ok that video was HILARIOUS! Now I want to see a corps do that live! Cmon BD---change direction!

Not sure if is on YouTube but VK 1989 show was good also. Surf has potential but needs much work to approach VK level.

Edited by mountaineers97

Drum corps desperately needs something like VK or Bridgemen. It needs this badly. But of course, no corps who takes this artistic approach will ever be a champion. Bridgemen perhaps could have won a title in 1980; that was probably the closest any of them have come. Under the current scoring and judging regime, no comedy-based show could possibly win Finals. (In fact, you probably couldn't end up in the medals, or qualify for G7. No corps director would take that approach today. It would be tantamount to suicide.)

• Like 5

Not sure if is on YouTube but VK 1989 show was good also. Surf has potential but needs much work to approach VK level.

D### I miss VK. We need some comic relief in all this seriousness.

Edited by Dr Z
  • Like 2

Man I miss VK. I want to say back in 87 there was a show at the Meadowlands where a thunderstorm came in with very high winds while VK was on the field. With flags/props/etc. flying all over the field they didn't blink an eye and incorporated the conditions into the show (several running/leaning into the wind, etc.). Great crowd reaction and loads of fun. Hopefully Surf, or someone, can raise their game enough to make it to finals.