Has MIM Buffalo damaged DCI's image in new and resurgent markets o

Sorry for taking the topic somewhat astray, but I think some of my comments are relevant. We have to stand up to stupidity and not allow the shallow thinkers to control us.

On that tack, no matter how badly I want to see the cream of the crop at one show in Buffalo, or any show at that stadium - I live a fair distance away from the border, so deciding to go to A show (which is about what I get to do each year) is a pretty strong commitment on time and expense - I will not be going next year.

I will not be cheated out of my money in this manner again and I will not subject myself to intrusive examination for frivolous reasons.

When it gets corrected, I'll be back.

As an aside, I go to the DCA championships, which last year, and this, was at the Navy-Marine Memorial Stadium, a part of U.S. Naval Academy in Annapolis, Maryland. Never been searched or questioned, only made to feel welcome. There's a lesson in there somewhere I think.

I really wanted to see Cadets drum line, so I'm a bit p----d.

Regards,

John

If the Glassmen hit the ground running next season, I suggest their show in Toledo, it's got to be roughly the same distance for you. I'm finding I'm getting better enjoyment out of the 10-16 corps anyway.

As an aside, I go to the DCA championships, which last year, and this, was at the Navy-Marine Memorial Stadium, a part of U.S. Naval Academy in Annapolis, Maryland. Never been searched or questioned, only made to feel welcome. There's a lesson in there somewhere I think.

Dang I missed you. Working at a Navy Base I was wondering how security would be handled at the Academy Stadium. It was so low key I could only guess what was going on at the entrance and inside the stadium. I'm sure it was there and also sure anyone who was stadium staff has been fully trained on what to look out for and what to do in certain situations. LOL - probably some of the same training I get every year.

Agree with places that have overkill 'security' checks at the gate. Is it just a carry on booze check and/or do they think nothing can happen inside if the checkpoint was passed OK.

PS - Wife and I took a tour of the Academy itself as I have proper DoD ID. About the same experience as inside the stadium.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

If the Glassmen hit the ground running next season, I suggest their show in Toledo, it's got to be roughly the same distance for you. I'm finding I'm getting better enjoyment out of the 10-16 corps anyway.

Toledo is more than twice as far. I'd love to go, it would be like homecoming, I have many friends in the Glassmen organization.

Regards,

John

Dang I missed you. Working at a Navy Base I was wondering how security would be handled at the Academy Stadium. It was so low key I could only guess what was going on at the entrance and inside the stadium. I'm sure it was there and also sure anyone who was stadium staff has been fully trained on what to look out for and what to do in certain situations. LOL - probably some of the same training I get every year.

Agree with places that have overkill 'security' checks at the gate. Is it just a carry on booze check and/or do they think nothing can happen inside if the checkpoint was passed OK.

PS - Wife and I took a tour of the Academy itself as I have proper DoD ID. About the same experience as inside the stadium.

Low key, that's it. Probably higher security, but smarter. A show of force is just that, a show. To me real security is something no one should notice.

See you in Annapolis, Friday night, I'm with CADRE.

Regards,

John

Low key, that's it. Probably higher security, but smarter. A show of force is just that, a show. To me real security is something no one should notice.

See you in Annapolis, Friday night, I'm with CADRE.

Regards,

John

We'll try to make Friday night but changing our travel plans and driving Friday instead of Thursday. Leaving a day early is kinda dumb as we live 2 hours away and already know the MD area. Not like we're gonna sight see, especially after driving Annapolis Friday at noon last year :shutup:

As for not noticing security... yep.... :ph34r:

We'll try to make Friday night but changing our travel plans and driving Friday instead of Thursday. Leaving a day early is kinda dumb as we live 2 hours away and already know the MD area. Not like we're gonna sight see, especially after driving Annapolis Friday at noon last year :shutup:/>

As for not noticing security... yep.... :ph34r:/>

Jim, just to note and not hijack a DCI thread to DCA, Boston had not happened yet last year. I'm certain you know that when HSA issues a heightened watch, as is or was the case in Buffalo, and whether an incident is here or overseas, most all public venues (with few exceptions) must respond with higher security. Armed Forces bases, such as Annapolis, must also respond.

If this happens convenience is not a high consideration. Not that long ago airports had terminal patrols with reservists visibly armed with the latest weaponry.

We can only pray it never happens again.

Jim, just to note and not hijack a DCI thread to DCA, Boston had not happened yet last year. I'm certain you know that when HSA issues a heightened watch, as is or was the case in Buffalo, and whether an incident is here or overseas, most all public venues (with few exceptions) must respond with higher security. Armed Forces bases, such as Annapolis, must also respond.

If this happens convenience is not a high consideration. Not that long ago airports had terminal patrols with reservists visibly armed with the latest weaponry.

We can only pray it never happens again.

Understand totally... And if DCA was held around Sept 11th it might be a different story from what is seen during Labor day Weekend. When I go to work there is a sign in front of the guard building where I get my ID check going into the base. Has the current THREATCON Level, more than once it has gone up and I wonder what the Hades I missed by not watching the morning news.

One of these days I'll post my full experience with the bomb sniffing dogs the week after 9/11/2001.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Understand totally... And if DCA was held around Sept 11th it might be a different story from what is seen during Labor day Weekend. When I go to work there is a sign in front of the guard building where I get my ID check going into the base. Has the current THREATCON Level, more than once it has gone up and I wonder what the Hades I missed by not watching the morning news.

One of these days I'll post my full experience with the bomb sniffing dogs the week after 9/11/2001.

I agree it could be different if DCA were held the next weekend. Here's to John (from previous posts about Buffalo) attending and it is a piece of cake for him.

That story about the dogs has to be one heckuva tale. You should do it.

Note: Totally off-topic to Buffalo but relates to security and count your blessings.....

Day of 9/11 working on base but kicked off around lunch so base could be secured. Waiting in the line of traffic to leave and see a lonely forklift coming the other way with a piece of concrete highway barrier (about 3' high and 9' long) coming the other way. Thought about what the heck was going to be done with the barrier and then everything started to hit me.... (barriers were for gates and selected buildings).

Anyway week after 9/11 we had the bomb sniffing Rin Tin Tins doing spot checks at the base gates. Dogs were on loan from an Army unit IIRC. As soon as one car was checked the next one that happened to be in line was pulled over. While a bomb check is going on the rest of the cars are getting the usual (hightened) once over. One morning I see a car pull away from the bomb sniff area and guess who is next....

Get pulled over and stand 20 feet away with one soldier (not regular guard) watching me and have my back to the cars coming in. Wanted to watch Rin Tin Tin and his handler do their stuff. Then I hear from behind me "HEY.. check him twice, he looks suspicious!!". I turn and it was my boss coming in (and he has a big grin his face). I waved and said Hi... then before I could stop myself I yelled "Hey... gonna be a little late this morning... OK?" and pointed to the bomb check.

Then I remembered the soldier behind me and thought "OH ####!". Causual as I could under the circumstances I turned to face him and said "That's my boss *shrug*", Guy just looked at me and we had the following conversation:

Soldier: Everyone else that gets pulled over gripes about it. You're the only one so far in a good mood.

Me: Ya gotta do what ya gotta do, why be a jerk and make it harder.

Soldier: #### straight, if anything happens not going to be under my watch.