Carolina Crown Narration

180 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Crown's narration?

2. 2. Do you think Crown's narration is effective?

All season I have been a fan of the counting, but not the narration in the ballad. Last night, however, everything just clicked for me. There's not one thing about this show I don't like.

I love it when that happens! I had a similar moment with the Cadets show this year, and Blue Devils last year (although I can pick out things not to like in every show I like... wish I could get over that).

• Like 1

I think most of us have had moments in our lives where we have been in love with someone, or thought we have been in love with someone, and wanted to forget everything else and just always remain in that moment of love. When we look back at those moments later, we probably cringe at some of the words we may have been saying and thought, wow, was that really me? I think that young naive spirit is the essence of what Crown is going for in the ballad. I got totally caught up in that ballad moment - as if I was a young lover, as if I was John - and the ballad impact caught me away as if it was the expressive outpouring of all those emotions of love. But of course, as I already mentioned, we often recognize that love as being naive and impossible to sustain. Crown's show recognizes this, and leads right out of the ballad impact with "impossible, you say?" and then leads right into a closer with a ton of brass notes to make you try to believe it - to make you think that no matter how ridiculous Einstein's theories might sound, or no matter how ridiculous one's outpouring of love may sound - anything is possible!

YES! Awesome interpretation! Wow! Seriously, wow.

:worthy:

• Like 1

Should include one more poll - if you could keep one would you keep either narration? I'm ok with the Einstein on the Beach narration because it fits (sadly I sat through a good chunk of the opera during college and was familiar with it). The love story narration has got to go.

The love story is part of the EOTB narration. I think they do a decent job with it, but there are several things I would do differently. For example, I would cut out the prologue and start at the part where the narrator says "Two lovers ... ." I would also get a narrator with a deeper voice. I think the guy they have doing it now does a great job, but in the original the narrator is older and gruffer (probably supposed to represent Einstein). I think that works better and that Crown's narration would come off better with a deeper voice. Finally, I think playing The Abyss behind the narration makes it too melodramatic. I would play something not so sweeping and powerful (save that type of stuff for later).

In other words, I would make it more like this:

• Like 1

I started loving the narration in the ballad when I took the time to actually listen to it without my cynicism glasses - once those were off - I understood the simply / naive / young at heart narration for what it was.

Later,

Mike

• Like 2

YES! Awesome interpretation! Wow! Seriously, wow.

:worthy:/>

The more I think about it, the more amazed I am at this show! It's like their show is a victory over reality and all of our preconceived notions about what we thought was possible. And I just realized how that ties into the music from "2001: A Space Odyssey"! Wow...I really can't wait to see this again tonight!!!

What about every other corps using narration this year? Seems like Crown are getting thrown to the wolves when they are clearly not the only ones using narration. I've heard no complaints about Blue Knights, Boston, Madison, Crossmen, Surf using narration or singing this year. Seems like if people are going to bag on narration, at least be consistent about it.

I think what Crown is doing is great, the ballad narration in particular is pretty goosebump worthy. :thumbup:/>

Why? Is it not possible to like some narration and not others?

Everything must have an ending except my love for Crown's 2013 program.

• Like 1

I usually like use of voice but this is not it. The love story is so cheesy...and I still don't get the counting. They still deserve to win though.

How do you not get the counting? It's an integral part of Einstein on the Beach. I'd understand not liking it....but not getting it????

Later,

Mike

How do you not get the counting? It's an integral part of Einstein on the Beach. I'd understand not liking it....but not getting it????

Later,

Mike

THIS!!!!!!!