Carolina Crown Narration

180 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Crown's narration?

2. 2. Do you think Crown's narration is effective?

I usually like use of voice but this is not it. The love story is so cheesy...and I still don't get the counting. They still deserve to win though.

What part of "1, 2, 3 ,4" do you not get? cool.gif

What is really cool, is that if you go to Youtube and search for Einstein on the Beach, you get a couple of Phillip Glass vids, then a BUNCH of Carolina Crown videos! thumbup.gif

Edited by wvu80

LOL! I am exactly the opposite! I am shocked at how many people ARE familiar with Einstein on the Beach! Come on, you've got to admit, the music doesn't exactly move you like a "Phantom of the Opera" does! rolleyes.gif

I saw some of the source material on Youtube. What an esoteric, snooty elitist, BORING opera with source material that is nearly incomprehensible!

What IS suprising is that 1) Crown decided that THIS could be music fit for a championship caliber show, and 2) that they produced and arranged it ten times better than the original!

Some of my favorite music comes from the minimalist movement in 20th century music with Glass and Arvo Part and I've done term papers on the such that I chose to do because I wanted to delve deeper into the music so on that hand the boring comment slightly rubs me the wrong way, but on the other hand I can DEFINITELY understand where you're coming from and even on a level agree with you. It's the nature of minimalist works. But before I go down that rabbit hole, I'll move on to your final comment.

I agree that it is at least 10 times better than the original if we add the qualification of that it is 10 times better within the genre of music that is drum corps and getting it to appeal to a large chunk of the population. On that level it's 100 times better than the original. But the thing that really, really gets me about their production, adaption, and arrangement is the emotion that they found within the hours and hours of that opera and drew out to a level where at times, it punches you in the chest. There is emotion in the original, I don't consider music to be music without some kind of emotion, but it is woven within the fabric of the arpeggios the similar chord progressions repeating over and over with very little deviation from one set to the next, the overlapping narrations. In that way it is elitist and snooty and everything you said it to be. But the emotion is there and the quality of the work is there. Crown wouldn't have a show like this without it.

I got a little long winded but my point is, I agree with your final point wholeheartedly and I don't think we could have asked for a better arrangement or production. We can argue about the narrations, counting, etc. but I don't think it would be possible to put together a more effective show or arrangement from that source material.

I have loved the narration from the start. I saw them in Stanford in June and loved it then. I have also enjoyed the kid who performs the poem. He's great.

I have loved EotB for years. It has long been my favorite winter guard show since 1985 Erte Productions. It's NOT my favorite opera, but that's a different discussion.

At any rate, I called them winning DCI in Stanford, and I may be proved correct! Isn't that nice?