Someone FINALLY got the brass spread right!

Yes it is. They quote it at the end, playing the last few chords, but they don't really hit much of the material from it.

This made me poke around YouTube and I came across this video of the last two minutes of Rite of Spring from the percussion section during an orchestra rehearsal. Those rhythms are crazy:

I'm most disappointed BD didn't even attempt a representation of that last flourish at the end. It's been interpreted so many different ways and to me it's just as iconic as the opening solo.

*sigh*

I know atonality and dissonance are different, I just figured atonal was a more conventional coining that more people would understand, but I didn't expect everybody to jump down my throat for its misuse.

I'm in acappella, I write dissonant chords in songs when they're not in the source material there when arranging, I've taken years of music theory (just trying to establish some level of credibility here before I get barraged again). I just really don't find it hard to play dissonant music, especially when your corps tunes to dissonant chords and becomes so accustomed to them. Regardless of your take on their difficulty, Crown has had by far one of the most challenging brass books over these past two years. I do think the .5 gap was a bit much, but I don't think a .3 or .4 gap is unrealistic or even unwarranted. Crown's brassline is incredible this year and deserves to be rewarded for being so.

Edited by santacarolinascouts
  • Like 1

The key is that the judge was on the field and we weren't. Several people commented from the stream that Crown had an awesome performance and BD had a flat performance. Maybe that's exactly what McGahey heard on the field, and thus the 0.2 spread he gave at Buffalo grew to an 0.5.

0.5 in brass is a big spread, but Crown's brass really is awesome. Brass judges are allowed to call spreads every once in a while too!

This made me poke around YouTube and I came across this video of the last two minutes of Rite of Spring from the percussion section during an orchestra rehearsal. Those rhythms are crazy:

I'm most disappointed BD didn't even attempt a representation of that last flourish at the end. It's been interpreted so many different ways and to me it's just as iconic as the opening solo.

Would have been cool, but I guess that really wanted to play that opening solo one more time in their show. I mean, it is an iconic moment, so it's cool to hear. Just would have liked if they covered more of the piece. That ending is really cool from the percussion.

Would have been cool, but I guess that really wanted to play that opening solo one more time in their show. I mean, it is an iconic moment, so it's cool to hear. Just would have liked if they covered more of the piece. That ending is really cool from the percussion.

I remember hearing the pre-season recording and thinking "I know exactly what the last movement is going to sound like." Evidently I was wrong.

Does anyone thing it is possible either Crown or BD will be premiering some changes tonight?

I remember hearing the pre-season recording and thinking "I know exactly what the last movement is going to sound like." Evidently I was wrong.

Does anyone thing it is possible either Crown or BD will be premiering some changes tonight?

I don't know. Seems risky to throw something in right at Finals, unless it's something really small. Don't want to change what the corps has been doing for weeks.

1376141817[/url]' post='3307579']

I'd understand a large spread in the performance number, but I think the 99 content score is very questionable. Crown's book just doesn't have the same complexity or depth that BD or even Cadets do, IMO

OMG!

I don't know. Seems risky to throw something in right at Finals, unless it's something really small. Don't want to change what the corps has been doing for weeks.

I completely agree. I just remember someone saying BD was going to have light-up poles and the Crown ending doesn't seem very climatic.

I'd understand a large spread in the performance number, but I think the 99 content score is very questionable. Crown's book just doesn't have the same complexity or depth that BD or even Cadets do, IMO

Most of DCI's brass judges disagree with you. To date, we've had 23 contests where BD and Crown were judged in brass. Crown had the higher content score 18 times to BD's 5 times. For the caption as a whole, Crown is 21-2 vs. BD.