Predictions for 2014

The trick is to not knee jerk react and make lots of staff changes. As per DCP, Crown would have fired Leon Mays 3 years ago. The consistently successful corps make very few staff changes (Crown, BD, Cadets). It all comes down to design and talent of MM. Cadets winning percussion battery this season was that rookie line that came together in the spring of 2012.

The trick is to not knee jerk react and make lots of staff changes. As per DCP, Crown would have fired Leon Mays 3 years ago. The consistently successful corps make very few staff changes (Crown, BD, Cadets). It all comes down to design and talent of MM. Cadets winning percussion battery this season was that rookie line that came together in the spring of 2012.

I think even last year Leon took a lot of abuse on DCP. And this year, he gave them a much more achievable vehicle that did exactly what they needed it to do.

Crown should do whatever they think helps them long-term to build a percussion program to the same level as BD, Cadets, etc. I'll point out that at Cadets, it took McNutt 5 years as caption supervisor to get a win - but they obviously believed he was the right guy to take their program forward.

Edited by ShortAndFast

My 2014 prediction- With a lot of practice and a little luck, '14 will be my rookie year!

• Like 2

1) Blue Devils switch gears and do a fan accessible show. They are undefeated all year.

2) Cadets pull a random show out of Hop's annual bucket of ideas, and it happens to be a strong one.

3) SCV keeps gaining momentum and nearly takes silver.

4) Bluecoats brings some of that mid 00's magic back to the field.

5) Crown struggles with design changes to try to aid it's percussion weakness.

6) Cavaliers brass matures and the design team starts to click with each other.

7) Phantom fields a crowd favorite show and looks to attract talent for another climb back into championship contention in coming years.

8) Spirit finally nails design from start to finish and gets the highest placement in years.

9) BAC is back and forth with this 8-10 grouping all year.

10) Madison Scouts comes back with a Latin show. The fans want it higher, but it still is missing those pieces to push it over the top.

11) Blue Knights come with a very fan friendly show not unlike the English Folk Song Suite show.

12) Troopers takes 12th at semis with a much better corps.

13) Blue Stars just barely miss finals, but only because of increased talent across the board.

14) Pacific Crest gives us something wildly different than 2013, yet retains a good amount of vets.

15) Colts go back to the red unis and give us another fun show.

16) Crossmen takes a stumble in recruitment but fixes it's drill problems.

17) Mandarins have their best corps in years and are back and forth with the 15-18 grouping.

18) Oregon Crusaders keep up the strong recruitment but have a more serious feeling show.

19) The Academy struggles with recruitment but comes back with the most serious show in WC.

20) Pioneer makes a strong surge this year and starts to become competitive.

21) Jersey Surf fails to fix it's fundamental weaknesses again but fields another fun show.

22) Cascades continue to struggle with recruitment.

• Like 2

NeoCervantes II, on 11 August 2013 - 01:18 AM, said:

2014 Predictions?

ANOTHER new DCI champion!!

1. Boston Crusaders!!!

2. Madison Scouts

3. Blue Knights

4. Etc.

Silingerland said:

That would probably be news to the Scouts.

Those are my medalist positions for 2014:

Boston - Gold

Madison - Silver, etc.

In that case, Boston would be a new champ. (Unless you mean that it would be news to them in the sense that they don't plan on getting beaten by Boston, but then I can't figure out why you highlighted "new". Assuming it was because Madison had already won a championship right?)

Let's be a little more historically technical with the Blue Stars story from the '80s - 2005. CCI, A/A-60, Div II & III. I would know. :thumbup:/>/>/>

Very true. They had probably the longest rise to Finals ever, taking almost thirty years to get back to Finals, and I'm very happy they did.

• Like 3

If Carolina Crown keeps their staff the same and gets some consistency, I think they can do it again. These last two shows were incredible, they need to get a streak going. If they keep the percussion staff and make a few changes, I think they can improve. I thought 2013s line was MUCH better than 2012. Personally.

Santa Clara Vanguard will be top 2.

Bluecoats will be top 4.

Cavaliers will be top 6.

Madison Scouts improve visual programming, in the top 8.

Blue Stars are top 10.

Troopers make finals.

Oregon Crusaders are top 15.

That's all I have for now.

Too soon?! ph34r.gif

Last year, on August 12, kaseyW started the prediction thread for 2013. They predicted the following for 2013:

1. Carolina Crown - I believe that they will finally find their luster, and harness their dynamic designs into something that's awe inspiring and 1st place achievable.

2. Blue Devils - They'll still have the same thunder they had this season, but it is time for a new champion.

3. Santa Clara Vanguard - Bringing them back to the top 3. The last time was 2004. They have one of the best perc/brass writers in all of drum corps, and this year's production was outstanding.

4/5/6. Cadets/Phantom Regiment/Bluecoats - it's a toss up between these two.

7. Cavaliers - Like Phantom Regiment after 2009, they will rise back up, but it will be a slow rise.

8. Blue Knights - Personally I'd love see my favorite corps make the top 8 again, and they have the design team to do it.

9/10. Madison Scouts/Boston Crusaders - Two corps that have impressed and produced fan favorites as of recent years.

11. Crossmen - They got the fire started back up, and they wont stop any time soon.

12. Spirit of Atlanta - Still a finals corps, I just don't know how far they'll move up.

Not too bad!

• Like 2