What was the last straight-up jazz show BD has done?

Jazz is such a huge genre of music. I could easily argue that this years show was as "straight up jazz" as any of them...., avante garde jazz, but jazz nonetheless. Nearly all of the material was fairly faithful arrangements of Brenzel's piece.... an actual composition for big band.

Many would argue that they have never done a straight up jazz show, since improvisation is thought of as probably the most important component of jazz. But this year's show actually had a bit of improvisation near the end.. or at least pseudo improvisation (planned out, but meant to sound like it was spontaneous).

• Like 8

Based on what I think you're going after, I'd have to say 2002 with Ragtime, I've Got Rhythm, Fascinating Rhythm, House of the Rising Sun and Channel One.

Though a case could be made for 2005 - it was definitely choppy, but they played some straight ahead arrangements of I think all-jazz pieces.

Mike

Summertrain Blues Mix was probably the last "fan friendly" jazz show.

It is more-so about 'arranging', and what is being rewarded today by the judges, than the actual charts themselves. Example: Devils 2009 Caravan, in which the source material is a big band swing chart, was no where 'arranged' by the Devils staff as straight forward swing. It seems to me that what is rewarded today in DCI, whether jazz based or other, is subtle hints of melodic content on top of very progressive Avant Garde experimental arranging styles; thus today, if it sounds too close to the original source material, it is no longer being rewarded.

Summertrain Blues Mix was probably the last "fan friendly" jazz show.

I completely agree! I hated their drill that summer, but LOVED the music book.

• Like 1