Sound Sport

I attended some of both Drum Line Battle and Soundsport. I am not sure what I think, except that both events are not what I expected it to be.

With Drum Line Battle, I'm not sure what it was trying to accomplish and how it fits with DCI. It struck me as how loud and how intimidating a group can be. It was enjoyable, but with DCI I want a judged activity that promotes excellence while also being entertaining. I guess I expected a Percussion ensemble contest which I should not have considering the concept was demonstrated at least three shows I attended. Overall I just didn't see the point, but I will also admit it may be generational. High school and college kids were enthralled. I know that the purpose was to get more kids involved in DCI and gain a new audience for DCI events, and since it was announced over and over that there were still tickets available for finals, this was quite clear. However, I wonder how many people who attended did not already have tickets for finals? Since most in attendance were wearing their favorite corps' gear, or were marching members of Open Class and World Class cops that did not make finals, I'm not sure it attracted all that many first time attendees.

Now as far as Soundsport, it was not what it was hyped up to be. I expected small music ensembles with perhaps some dancers or small color guards, but what I saw were concert performances which were entertaining and worth my time. Maybe they came after I left, the hot sun and concrete were not an inviting combo which brings me to my criticism of both events, and something that could easily be remedied: find a venue fro both events with seating. The outside of Lucas Oil Stadium or a public street are not real venues. Rent a space, offer free admission, and make it an event, not something that is thrown together.

Now I will also state a disclaimer--I WANT THE PARADE BACK!!! so I may be biased. However, if I am honest here too, the parade was poorly attended and again, it was largely attended by DCI fans only and not the ;public at large.

DCI's schedule of events indicates there was to have been a "Sound Sport Festival" on Saturday afternoon. Was it a judged event? I would guess so from Steve Rondinaro's comments during the Finals retreat that Star United won--playing selections from Appalachian Spring, if I heard correctly. (He also mentioned that they'd be appearing in the "small corps" competition at DCA.) Did anyone here attend this event? Are there more details about how it went?

Also, is it "Sound Sport" or "SoundSport"? DCI's articles print it as two words, but the logo has no space between them.

It was not judged in the way they intend to normally do full shows. But they did a shout out for a Fan Favorite, which will be a part of all Sound Sport events.

Line-up

Glassmen Alumni - A small standstill brass group and a handful of percussion. Nice tribute to G'men ending with a fun Just A Gigolo. Featuring a great bari solo by DCP's own Kevin Gamin.

A Jersey Surf mini-group. - Can't remember the name."something" and the surftones? They sounded great. Did some of their 2013 music and some "new" stuff. Didn't do much movement.

Star United - Familiar to those that attend DCA's. Brass and a pit. But ...

Yes, but a tad larger and without much movement. Here they are at DCA's MiniCorps Championships in 2010:

Scrap that old "without much movement" description and the video above. They moved pretty much start to finish. And it was drill, not the "transition to a different playing arch" type of thing Surf did. WGI'ish type of space. No tarp, but they did use a gacked border for alignment. Music was pretty much a straight rip of '87 Garfield with a little twist at the end. It would not have achieved a 100 yet, but it was very well executed. Especially knowing how little opportunity they have had to work on the new charts.

Edited by mingusmonk

I attended some of both Drum Line Battle and Soundsport. I am not sure what I think, except that both events are not what I expected it to be.

With Drum Line Battle, I'm not sure what it was trying to accomplish and how it fits with DCI. It struck me as how loud and how intimidating a group can be. It was enjoyable, but with DCI I want a judged activity that promotes excellence while also being entertaining. I guess I expected a Percussion ensemble contest which I should not have considering the concept was demonstrated at least three shows I attended. Overall I just didn't see the point, but I will also admit it may be generational. High school and college kids were enthralled. I know that the purpose was to get more kids involved in DCI and gain a new audience for DCI events, and since it was announced over and over that there were still tickets available for finals, this was quite clear. However, I wonder how many people who attended did not already have tickets for finals? Since most in attendance were wearing their favorite corps' gear, or were marching members of Open Class and World Class cops that did not make finals, I'm not sure it attracted all that many first time attendees.

Now as far as Soundsport, it was not what it was hyped up to be. I expected small music ensembles with perhaps some dancers or small color guards, but what I saw were concert performances which were entertaining and worth my time. Maybe they came after I left, the hot sun and concrete were not an inviting combo which brings me to my criticism of both events, and something that could easily be remedied: find a venue fro both events with seating. The outside of Lucas Oil Stadium or a public street are not real venues. Rent a space, offer free admission, and make it an event, not something that is thrown together.

Now I will also state a disclaimer--I WANT THE PARADE BACK!!! so I may be biased. However, if I am honest here too, the parade was poorly attended and again, it was largely attended by DCI fans only and not the ;public at large.

You might take some time to go back and read the materials from when DB and SS were announced. They are not in existence to give DCI fans something to do, or fill the entertainment days during finals week. That is just a bonus.

They were created to give more performing opportunities to aspiring young musicians. And to give those organizations who are interested in one day becoming DCI corps a fiscally reasonable avenue to start pursuing these goals on a smaller scale. If you were at the Sound Sport demo on Saturday, John Denovi did a very good job explaining the goals as well. Did you catch that part?

The more $$ you put into venues, the more financial burden you put on these upstart drumlines and sound sport groups. The goal is to reduce barriers to the activity, not increase them.

We (myself plus 2 teen drummers and 1 teen colorguard) watched most Drumline Battles at the primary stage and thought it was a lot of fun. People seemed to really enjoy it. I had a student competing and he loved it.

Sound Sport appears to be taking a little more time to develop. At least, what they had to offer at DCI. But John had some numbers that sound very promising. We shall see.

• Like 2

It was not judged in the way they intend to normally do full shows. But they did a shout out for a Fan Favorite, which will be a part of all Sound Sport events.

Thanks for the report!

No excuse not to have a parade. Another we don't care about you community but please support us.

No excuse not to have a parade. Another we don't care about you community but please support us.

Wait, you mean the community that rarely, if ever, shows up to this parade?

• Like 5