Crown cam during encore.

BUMP b/c this is just spectacular.

I know it has been done before, and is always fun to see, but seeing it from the Championship encore perspective is just really fun. It is neat to see some of their facial expressions throughout the show, and I love that he turned the camera and says 'For Sally' when the female guard member catches the sabre on the bench. I also like at the end the expression of the timpani player as he watches his corps blast the final pharse one last time, priceless.

What a great crowd too! I was at Bloomington when Phantom won and performed the encore but I think the Crown encore crowd size rivals that one.

Does anyone know how long the tradition of the winner playing an encore goes back?

• Like 4

They were doing encores back when I first started in '83 so I'm sure it goes beyond that.

At the first show I ever saw, in 1989, which was just a local show, there was a full retreat in which each corps departed in scoring order, each performing a little longer than the one before, until the winner was told the field was theirs and they played a full (or nearly full) encore.

At a local show.

Edited by N.E. Brigand
  • Like 3

For a top level view of the encore run, Crown's Facebook posted a link to this apparently audience-recorded (steady but poor sound) high-cam view on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjadtT78NsY

Now that I've listened to it further, man, if that's how LOS sounds at the top level... YIKES.

Edited by skywhopper

On a related note, wasn't there once a tradition of the second place corps playing for the winners? What happened to that?

Nick,

I know that a few years back before LOS days for DCI, there were some problems with retreats, encores, etc. When the retreat process was re-organized for Lucas, the encores and march-byes by other corps were dropped, although I do remember the Cavaliers bending the rule and saluting BD with an encore as BD had just defeated them. BD should only be Commended, let me say it again as I am not frequent in my positive accolades about BD, BD is to be commended for the spontaneous (?) way the members went over to congratulate the members of Carolina Crown upon the announcement of winning scores. No pouting, no visible friction, but genuine class as witnessed by us in the stands. Kudos to all the corps.

• Like 1

1998 Finals in Orlando was the last year the corps played themselves off the field. In 1999, they hurried everyone off so they could get both encores done in enough time. That sorta stuck. Nobody plays off the field anymore.

I do agree that BD showed a lot of class after Crown won on Saturday. It should also be noted that last year Crown did the same thing when BD won the championship. These 2 corps have been going at it for about 5 years now with 3 years coming down to just the 2 of them fighting it out at the top. It's a great new rivalry for sure.

• Like 3

I noticed they copied Blue Devils by going without their shakos, wouldn't be the first they've tried to emulate them.

• Like 3