Tell us your Drum Corps Family History

My dad was a drummer in school in the 1920's and played in jazz bands throughout North Jersey through the 30's up to WWII. Never played again after the war.

I started as a drummer in school at age 9 in 1962, 4th grade, and joined drum corps in 64 at age 10...my dad's VFW post sponsored it. I was in the feeder corps until it broke apart due to the grownups fighting, and the feeder corps became the only corps at the post, with the big corps moving to a Catholic Church as a new corps. Dad was a 1/4-master with the VFW corps.

After the splitoff...my brother, two years younger than me, played horn for a month and a half or something in the parade corps...HATED it with a passion....dad let him leave.

I moved over to the competitive corps in town after the 67 season, and marched there in 68-69.

Left there for Garfield from 70-72.

My son played tuba in HS and college, but never had a desire to march corps.

My daughter is a drummer. She also marched in HS, and was DM her last two years...she still plays, doing more world percussion stuff now. She brings back drums and other percussion stuff from her world travels...Ghana, China, S Korea, Japan, Mexico.

• Like 1

*My grandma was a concert pianist as a kid (she still plays to help with arthritis).

*My aunt was a French horn major.

*My brother played trombone in high school and college, won the John Philip Sousa award, and is a continuing member of Tri-M.

*My cousin marched trumpet in a competitively successful USSBA band.

*My girlfriend marched at a BOA high school, did their WGI drumline, and then marched in a top college band under famous drum corps instructors. Her entire family is musical, but most notably her dad plays French horn in a renowned orchestra.

With all that talent around me, I'm the only one that marched drum corps.

Edited by MetalTones2012

I marched very briefly with the Kilties in 1970.

Younger brother#1 marched the full 1970 season with the Kilties and was also drum major of the Mariners.

Younger brother#2 marched with the 1978-79 Kilties and with the 1982-83 Madison Scouts.

Thought I should add the non-drum corps portion of my musical background.

My Dad played clarinet, alto and tenor sax, and flute in big dance bands, wind ensembles and concert bands starting in the late '30s until just before his death a few years back. One of his bands opened for Stan Kenton back in the day. One of my uncles was co-founder of the Florentine Opera Company, which is the largest opera company in Milwaukee. Both my Dad and my Uncle Ned sang in the chorus. I think I was roughly 10-12 years old when I saw my first opera.

Before my brief stint with the Kilties, I played in youth bands here in the Milwaukee area, which was very big in the '60s.

I marched Marquis, Carolina Crown, and Carolina Gold.

My brother-in-law marched Madison Scouts.

My uncle marched Yankee Rebels and the Washington Redskins Marching Band

My great great grandfather was in the United States Marine Band and was in Sousa's Band as well.

• Like 1

My Mom and Dad both marched Jr Corps (OLPH Ridgemen and the Marionettes respectively), Dad marched Skyliners after that.

All three of us kids marched Jr. Corps, with 25 years between us in 5 different corps. We were a drum corps family, I grew up listening to drum corps albus and don't know what my first live show was because I was carried to it. :music:

I played in the Oceanside Legionnaires from Oceanside Long Island with my 4 brothers, Jimmy, Frank, Tommy, and Bucky.

In 1969 I went in the USAF and took 1974 off - couldn't get used to the new show styles. While I was overseas Tommy and Bucky played in St Rita's Brassmen.

1975 joined Sunrisers (then from Brooklyn) with my brother Tommy.

I left in 1977 and taught Bayonne Bridgemen's brass line in 1978. I also began working with Archer Epler. By now my son Kevin was the "mascot" of the Bridgemen, appearing in the little DM uniform.

In 1979 my 2nd son was born and I left Bridgemen and concentrated on CT Hurricanes, Milford Shoreliners, and Archie.

In 1981 my daughter Tammy left the hospital and went directly to Hurricanes Camp memorial Day weekend.83

In 1983 I melted down, leaving Archie and taking care of my brand new son Raymond, plus his older siblings while their mom (my ex-wife now) played with Skyliners.

In 1984 I went back to Bayonne. After observing my four kids walking along in a straight line in yellow rain slickers the kids in the Bridgemen dubbed them "the ducks" which stuck for a while.

85 - 89 Hurricanes.

90 Sunrisers, a bit uncomfortable as my not yet EX wife was playing in Hawthorne. All four kids were playing in the Archer-Epler Jr Musketeers, cute as squirrels.

91 joined Crossmen on brass staff, where my 14 year old son played his first year on Contra.

92 his brother and sister joined Boston - by the end of '92 I had joined on as brass staff there, staying until 96.

So in 1993 we had Kevin in Crossmen, Daniel and Tammy in Boston. Raymond hanging out practicing trumpet and shooting hoops.

'94 Kevin joined Dan and Tammy in Boston.'

'95 Raymond joined Boston as trumpet - all four kids finally playing in one place again.

'97 Kevin joined BD. '98 Daniel followed to BD.

'98 Kevin aged out. 2000 Dan aged out of BD - Kevin and Dan are both BD HoFamers.

2002 Tammy aged out of Boston. 2004 Raymond aged out: both had earned Crusader of the year awards.

2013 Nancy, a freshman at University of North Texas, joined Crossmen on synth (21 years after Kevin joined there).

There's a lot of blanks in there - for instance Kevin played in Bushwackers with his mother in '92 (Sweeney Todd) after DCI, and with Hurricanes a couple of years after DCI.

I taught a whole bunch of places and arranged for more during these years, but that's the family bit.

Kevin and I sometimes judge music at the same band shows during the Fall.

Best yet? 12 year old Connor, my grandson, won all the instrumental awards in his school this year on trombone - plays much better than I did at his age.

Caught him at a rehearsal wearing his dad's Blue Devil jacket and playing one of BD's baritones.

Guess the story isn't over yet.

• Like 1

I played in the Oceanside Legionnaires from Oceanside Long Island with my 4 brothers, Jimmy, Frank, Tommy, and Bucky.

...and all 4 of these guys would kick your ### if you ever disrespected them! :tongue:

Sounds like the beginning of Goodfellas Part 2

In 1969 I went in the USAF and took 1974 off - couldn't get used to the new show styles. While I was overseas Tommy and Bucky played in St Rita's Brassmen.

1975 joined Sunrisers (then from Brooklyn) with my brother Tommy.

I left in 1977 and taught Bayonne Bridgemen's brass line in 1978. I also began working with Archer Epler. By now my son Kevin was the "mascot" of the Bridgemen, appearing in the little DM uniform.

In 1979 my 2nd son was born and I left Bridgemen and concentrated on CT Hurricanes, Milford Shoreliners, and Archie.

In 1981 my daughter Tammy left the hospital and went directly to Hurricanes Camp memorial Day weekend.83

In 1983 I melted down, leaving Archie and taking care of my brand new son Raymond, plus his older siblings while their mom (my ex-wife now) played with Skyliners.

In 1984 I went back to Bayonne. After observing my four kids walking along in a straight line in yellow rain slickers the kids in the Bridgemen dubbed them "the ducks" which stuck for a while.

85 - 89 Hurricanes.

90 Sunrisers, a bit uncomfortable as my not yet EX wife was playing in Hawthorne. All four kids were playing in the Archer-Epler Jr Musketeers, cute as squirrels.

91 joined Crossmen on brass staff, where my 14 year old son played his first year on Contra.

92 his brother and sister joined Boston - by the end of '92 I had joined on as brass staff there, staying until 96.

So in 1993 we had Kevin in Crossmen, Daniel and Tammy in Boston. Raymond hanging out practicing trumpet and shooting hoops.

'94 Kevin joined Dan and Tammy in Boston.'

'95 Raymond joined Boston as trumpet - all four kids finally playing in one place again.

'97 Kevin joined BD. '98 Daniel followed to BD.

'98 Kevin aged out. 2000 Dan aged out of BD - Kevin and Dan are both BD HoFamers.

2002 Tammy aged out of Boston. 2004 Raymond aged out: both had earned Crusader of the year awards.

2013 Nancy, a freshman at University of North Texas, joined Crossmen on synth (21 years after Kevin joined there).

There's a lot of blanks in there - for instance Kevin played in Bushwackers with his mother in '92 (Sweeney Todd) after DCI, and with Hurricanes a couple of years after DCI.

I taught a whole bunch of places and arranged for more during these years, but that's the family bit.

Kevin and I sometimes judge music at the same band shows during the Fall.

Best yet? 12 year old Connor, my grandson, won all the instrumental awards in his school this year on trombone - plays much better than I did at his age.

Caught him at a rehearsal wearing his dad's Blue Devil jacket and playing one of BD's baritones.

Guess the story isn't over yet.

This story is epic though.....but who is Nancy. I missed that in there somewhere.

My father-in-law marched with The Grand Street Boys in the 1930's.

My father marched with the King Park FD drum corps in the 50's, then formed the Kings Park / Long Island Kingsmen in 1964 and was Exec Director thru 1980. He also marched Sunrisers 1967 and 1968. He was the a volunteer with Avant Garde 1981-1982, 27th Lancers 1983-1986, and The Cadets 1987-2005.

My mother was head of volunteers for LI Kingsmen, 1964-1980, then a medical volunteer with Avant Garde 1982, 27th Lancers 1983-1986, and The Cadets 1987-2005. She was a DCI Volunteer of the Year in 2005.

I marched LI Kingsmen 1965-1980, volunteered with several DCI shows through 2004, volunteered cook crew with The Cadets for several years between 1986 and 2004, head volunteer with Revolution 2005, volunteer with Blue Stars 2006-2011.

My brother marched LI Kingsmen 1964-1977.

My sister marched LI Kingsmen 1977-1980, Avant Garde 1982, and 27th Lancers 1983-1986.

My wife marched LI Squires and LI Kingsmen 1974-1980, volunteered with Drums Across Kansas 1997-2004, cook crew with The Cadets several years between 1986 and 2004, head volunteer with Revolution 2005, volunteer with Blue Stars 2006-2011.

My son marched Revolution 2005, Blue Stars 2006-2011, and The Cavaliers 2012.

My daughter volunteered with Revolution 2005, and Blue Stars 2006-2009.

Edited by kansasDC

I marched Sky Ryders of Hutchinson, KS in 1985 and 1987 (Baritone). My Sister Marched Sky Ryders of Hutchinson, KS from 1987 to 1989 and Marched their 1st Texas Year in 1990. I started Prairie Sound in 2004 and have been playing Baritone with this group ever since.

I'm trying to get my son interested in marching Junior Corps maybe Troopers, Colts or Crossmen. He's a pretty good Trumpet Player who likes to practice after the City noise curfew.

• Like 1